Wirsbo vs Uponor vs ProPEX..??? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree14Likes

Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 PM   #1

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos
Default Wirsbo vs Uponor vs ProPEX..???

I'm feeling old....
I got a contract to do some Renos in a Condo, which I normally don't do. I'm also seeing this Wirsbo in residential/houses.
the condo is piped-in in 1/2" Wirsbo (coming off the risers), so I'm looking to buy an expanding tool, preferably by Milwaukee (M18). Apparently the guys at the suppliers don't know anything about these tools and system but they sell the materials! the plumbers I know are old timers and they have no knowledge to share.. when I google Wirsbo m18(etc), the results come up"ProPEX expanding tool" by Milwaukee.
I had read something somewhere that Wirsbo was bought out by Uponor..
I've read so much, but a lot of the info is conflicting.

what's the difference between Wirsbo, ProPEX and Uponor?
Does Milwaukee make an M18 version for 1/2" & 3/4"?

thanks..
Logtec is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Do you want to do the job fully in wirsbo or you looking just to convert to pex?

I think the various names of the product are due to copyright laws. Since they can't use the most common name they use their own.

From what I understand wirsbo is the popular brand name in Canada and uponor in the US
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:37 PM   #3

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

They are all the same thing we've done a lot of jobs using the uponor/wirsbo system... it's just pex a meaning expandable pex... if your never going to use your expansion tool after this job it's not worth buying one...
Pex-a you can also use the copper ring crimps and stainless cinch style clamps so if you already have those tools might be better option to just use those...
Pex a in my opinion is better than pex b(shark bite or waterline brands) it's more flexible they dont sell it at home depot..
Expansion is quick but I think crimping is quicker..

Off topic here but if anyone ever decided to use pex in apartment buildings they should be aware that the manufacturers ratings never be exceeded as it will fail especially with hot water..
we have a building with insanely high pressure and have had major problems with it and this is just a one off place but we had to put a 2" prv in was so strong blew the pipe apart... not at fittings but the pipe.

125 psi and hot pex dont like it much
Tango likes this.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2019, 04:40 PM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I'm feeling old....
I got a contract to do some Renos in a Condo, which I normally don't do. I'm also seeing this Wirsbo in residential/houses.
the condo is piped-in in 1/2" Wirsbo (coming off the risers), so I'm looking to buy an expanding tool, preferably by Milwaukee (M18). Apparently the guys at the suppliers don't know anything about these tools and system but they sell the materials! the plumbers I know are old timers and they have no knowledge to share.. when I google Wirsbo m18(etc), the results come up"ProPEX expanding tool" by Milwaukee.
I had read something somewhere that Wirsbo was bought out by Uponor..
I've read so much, but a lot of the info is conflicting.

what's the difference between Wirsbo, ProPEX and Uponor?
Does Milwaukee make an M18 version for 1/2" & 3/4"?

thanks..
I’ve heard it called all three names plus aquapex.

I think the tool is M12 for 1/2”-1”. M18 for 1” and larger
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 04:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Do you want to do the job fully in wirsbo or you looking just to convert to pex?

I think the various names of the product are due to copyright laws. Since they can't use the most common name they use their own.

From what I understand wirsbo is the popular brand name in Canada and uponor in the US
id like to keep it the same, so Wirsbo. can the Milwaukee exp tool be used for wirsbo and propex?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
They are all the same thing we've done a lot of jobs using the uponor/wirsbo system... it's just pex a meaning expandable pex... if your never going to use your expansion tool after this job it's not worth buying one...
Pex-a you can also use the copper ring crimps and stainless cinch style clamps so if you already have those tools might be better option to just use those...
Pex a in my opinion is better than pex b(shark bite or waterline brands) it's more flexible they dont sell it at home depot..
Expansion is quick but I think crimping is quicker..

Off topic here but if anyone ever decided to use pex in apartment buildings they should be aware that the manufacturers ratings never be exceeded as it will fail especially with hot water..
we have a building with insanely high pressure and have had major problems with it and this is just a one off place but we had to put a 2" prv in was so strong blew the pipe apart... not at fittings but the pipe.

125 psi and hot pex dont like it much
im seeing wirsbo more and more in Toronto, and there is other work I could be doing with said tool. but I don't want to have to buy 2-3 different tools for slightly different systems...

off topic: I have a few condos with high pressure and were constantly changing fill valves on toilets, which is a good thing.
Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM   #7

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

I dont even know how to use the quoting on here but yes they are all the same thing just different manufacturers same system Pex-A (wirsbo , uponor) pex b home depot stuff, pex c (pex-al-pex aka kitec).. the Milwaukee tool can be used to expand any pex a system... I believe uponor was just the name of the tool manufacture and wirsbo is the actual piping system whenever I go to supply house just ask for wirsbo and they get me the right stuff... we have an old uponor expansion tool battery and a couple hand expansion tools at our shop we've been using it since before Milwaukee came out with.thier expansion tools
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #8

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I dont even know how to use the quoting on here but yes they are all the same thing just different manufacturers same system Pex-A (wirsbo , uponor) pex b home depot stuff, pex c (pex-al-pex aka kitec).. the Milwaukee tool can be used to expand any pex a system... I believe uponor was just the name of the tool manufacture and wirsbo is the actual piping system whenever I go to supply house just ask for wirsbo and they get me the right stuff... we have an old uponor expansion tool battery and a couple hand expansion tools at our shop we've been using it since before Milwaukee came out with.thier expansion tools
Uponor is a brand name
Attached Thumbnails
Wirsbo vs Uponor vs ProPEX..???-2529b310-f972-4482-b30b-c9d4b21d8945.jpg  

Tango likes this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #9
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

We have about 12 expanders at our shop.

M12 expanders 1/2" up to 1"
M18 1" - 1-1/2
And a seperate m18 tool that does 2" ( looks like a cinderblock )
Iv done alot of riser change outs in building in wirsbo never had any issues. I hold the pipe on the fitting for 30-45 seconds after i put it on.
Also keep it flush on the fitting not bending it while its contacting.
And i dont turn water on till the last joint has cured for atleast 5 mins.
Never had any issues following that proccess.

I use pex or copper in houses, wirsbo in apartment building.
breplum and Tango like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I dont even know how to use the quoting on here
Go to the post you want to quote, there's a few buttons : edit, quote, multi quote and thanks.

You can use the thanks when you see me post.

Last edited by Tango; 02-27-2019 at 07:27 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote