Why do people say there's a shortage of plumbers? - Page 3 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion


Like Tree51Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 10:28 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,445

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
The US Bureau of Labor and Statistics {I think that is the gov't. agency's name} predicts a shortage of plumbers as well as other tradesmen in the near future. This is a fact.

The reasons being as I see it:

Young people today do not want to sweat, dig ditches or put in the {5} or so years that it takes to learn a trade. They don't want to wait for anything, they want it now.


For years kids were spoon-fed the lie that college is an absolutely necessary thing. You MUST go to college or risk having a dead-end, low-paying job for life. When I was in school, I took wood-working class and metals class. We actually fabricated items in shop class. Do they even offer shop class to the children today? Maybe, I don't know.



Ive said it many time before, it was a calculated move by the federal dept of education to remove most if not all shop classes from schools and to put all school children on a path to helplessness as an excuse to have more immigrants enter the country to make up for the lack of young people not trained for hands on labor.....and it has worked out well for that plan..we now have a generation of do nothing millenials that cant take care of themselves and forget about them learning a hands on trade to help anyone else...
now school systems are taking it upon themselves to put shop classes back in and get children back in the swing for manual labor....since I believe Trump cut down the federal education dept not to meddle in local school districts.....
GAN likes this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #22
philosopher and statesmen
 
Master Mark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Indianapolis indiana ...
Posts: 7,012

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
@Master Mark

Another reason I don't get overloaded with calls, I can't say for certain but the majority of small time GCs do the plumbing themselves instead of subbing it out. Most of them are liars and cheats. Just yesterday when I fixed the diy sink the woman was in the process of getting estimates to reno the bathroom and she never thought of asking me!

Seriously what the F?? She said one of the guys who showed up told her he had 28 years experience so I told her why would she hire him? He's not a plumber I am! I gave her an estimate but I'm pretty sure one of them is going to get the job anyway. They all want to save money like ostriches's head in the sand.

Then this morning again, a repeat customer is about to hire a contractor to reno the basement and once again I told her to call the ministry and watch out because he was going to do electrical and other things he isn't licensed for. That poor woman has been screwed over by the last 3 contractors and she's about to be screwed over again.
When ever this happens, you ought to ask while conversing with them if the jackleg bidding the job is actually insured in case they burn your house down or flood the place???

......or point on your work order where it says you are insured..

Our info is on our trucks .... licensed and insured...... you ought to have it on your trucks too.....

they always lose their asses doing bathroom remodels it never fails.....

but also that is why they are so cheap....


I suggest that you stick with the service and come in afterward and mop up the mess they make....


In our city right now they are going around red-tagging flipped homes on the west side of town..... no permits were taken out for a new bathroom in the home and when an inspector sees new work being done they just red-tag the whole place and force the existing homeowner to bring it all up to code ....... after the fact......

people who bought these places are seriously pissed off..





.....

..
Tango likes this.
__________________
God created man in his image and likeness but Sam Colt made them all equal."
http://weilhammerplumbing.com/
http://plumberindianapolis.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:14 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,445

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

here you go..have a read...
https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/newt...tion-mike-rowe
mtfallsmikey likes this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #24
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Québec
Posts: 5,150

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
When ever this happens, you ought to ask while conversing with them if the jackleg bidding the job is actually insured in case they burn your house down or flood the place???

......or point on your work order where it says you are insured..

Our info is on our trucks .... licensed and insured...... you ought to have it on your trucks too.....

they always lose their asses doing bathroom remodels it never fails.....

but also that is why they are so cheap....


I suggest that you stick with the service and come in afterward and mop up the mess they make....


In our city right now they are going around red-tagging flipped homes on the west side of town..... no permits were taken out for a new bathroom in the home and when an inspector sees new work being done they just red-tag the whole place and force the existing homeowner to bring it all up to code ....... after the fact......

people who bought these places are seriously pissed off..





.....

..

Like you say I stick to service, I don't get reno's or even a small job where I would spend a full day because they only want a free estimate and look at the lowest price tag.

Those who look only at the price tag really don't care about insurance or licences. I've heard a dozen times "As long as it doesn't leak", It's the perfect world for them.

I would get a ton of work if we had real plumbing inspectors when people buy a house but they don't even call a plumber to inspect. Not once in 2 years have I been asked to inspect a potential house. The not so knowledgeable home inspectors don't see the evident diy botchery. I make my money from fubar jobs.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:27 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
dhal22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,277

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Try some of my requirements and see if there is a shortage. Pass a background check (whoops, there goes 90% of the potential), 10 yrs+ experience, (I prefer 20), clean mvr, clean, professional appearance. That weeds them out quickly.
Master Mark likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,445

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
Try some of my requirements and see if there is a shortage. Pass a background check (whoops, there goes 90% of the potential), 10 yrs+ experience, (I prefer 20), clean mvr, clean, professional appearance. That weeds them out quickly.



speak and understand ENGLISH....
Master Mark, Tango and Cagey57 like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:45 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 1,810

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
Young people today do not want to sweat, dig ditches or put in the {5} or so years that it takes to learn a trade. They don't want to wait for anything, they want it now.


For years kids were spoon-fed the lie that college is an absolutely necessary thing. You MUST go to college or risk having a dead-end, low-paying job for life.



First, correct, who the heck wants to dig ditches or sweat? I don't and I do it for living and did it for fun as a child.


Second, no they weren't spoon fed a lie. They were told yeah, you could make 90k$ as a plumber dealing with all that mess or you could go to college and make 120k$ with a degree in paper pushing and work in a nice clean office with climate control.


Quite frankly I think it is us who are the crazy ones. How much wear and tear do you suffer from plumbing? Work in an office and your only worry is not enough exercise. But if you work in an office you still have the energy to do the fun stuff when you get out of work which can also be exercise.


I don't know about you, but I am not a plumber because of the money. I do it because I enjoy the problem solving in spite of the pain and can't stand writing or sitting in an office.








.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 11:48 AM   #28
GAN
Super Moderator
 
GAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: St. Louis Metro
Posts: 1,947

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos
Default

For the past several years in our CEU classes we are seeing more and more gray hair. No younger individuals are wanting to do the hard labor as mentioned and seek the easy out for money and jobs.

The hard physical work ethic and loyalty has gone out the window. The only real turn around I see is when the industry starts failing and the pay goes up to a point that younger individuals see it as a profitable means of work, we may see an interest again in our trade. this runs true across many of the trades. Ours seems worse than others just because of the type of work.
__________________
Il. Lic.# 058-106725, Il. C.C.D.I. Lic. # XCO396
Remember valor, honor, independence, family & clan;
I do whenever I hear the ceol mor,
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GAN For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,445

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
First, correct, who the heck wants to dig ditches or sweat? I don't and I do it for living and did it for fun as a child.


Second, no they weren't spoon fed a lie. They were told yeah, you could make 90k$ as a plumber dealing with all that mess or you could go to college and make 120k$ with a degree in paper pushing and work in a nice clean office with climate control.


Quite frankly I think it is us who are the crazy ones. How much wear and tear do you suffer from plumbing? Work in an office and your only worry is not enough exercise. But if you work in an office you still have the energy to do the fun stuff when you get out of work which can also be exercise.


I don't know about you, but I am not a plumber because of the money. I do it because I enjoy the problem solving in spite of the pain and can't stand writing or sitting in an office.








.



your sorta wrong..the youth was spoon fed a lie of 120k office jobs..there are only a few, most college educated people are not working, they went to college for some stupid idiotic major that no jobs exist to be hired, so they are living in mommy and daddys basement collecting an allowance doing nothing...


office people are dying left and right from stress and sitting on their fat a$$es all day stuffing food down their throat


I do plumbing because I enjoy it and make a $hit load of money doing it..I get my exercise ( not all) from keeping active doing plumbing , its social when you chat with customers or other trades on larger jobs..


yes the body takes a beating, but so far everything has been fixable with surgery and now I take it a little bit easier... the office people with heart attacks, ulcers, stress, and the list goes on is not so fixable unless you quit or get a different type of job...


if your not making good money in plumbing then you need to revisit your business plan, but you also are not going to make big money till you establish yourself and pay your dues of long days, weeks, nights..nothing good comes easy..if you think that , then you found your problem...


in your own business the harder you work the more reward..if you work for someone..the harder you work just gets you more work and no more reward...
mtfallsmikey and Tango like this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-04-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 09:08 PM   #30
Moderator Wizard
 
Tango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Québec
Posts: 5,150

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Twice today I was told plumbers are hard to come by...

The first woman who said that, I asked her what was the meaning behind it and she had no answer. Why say that then????

The second elderly woman was looking for a service plumber. She called a company she knew but they mostly do new houses so yeah they weren't available. She called another plumber in a far away village and he too was too busy. It's unknown if he's a legit company I highly doubt it.

So she went on the net and found me on the top of the page and visited the website. I got the job because my site stated I serviced her town and I could go the same day.


So again there's no shortage of plumbers, she called companies who don't do service, that's all.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com