When does Mother Nature put you out of business? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree47Likes

Old 01-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default When does Mother Nature put you out of business?

No way am I working today! Rained all night, early this morning temperature dropped to freezing. Now it’s freezing rain until late tonight when it turns to snow.

Other than that, 4” and the cube doesn’t move.

Edit: I just saw on FB the brewery three blocks from me is open! I see some blue cheese dip and a game of Uno with the kid soon!

Last edited by OpenSights; 01-11-2020 at 04:05 PM..
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 04:25 PM   #2

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I usually don’t go out during/around the first big snow fall, ppl always forget how to drive in the snow, and most ppl don’t bother with snow tires. A lot of ppl who drive SUVs or anything with 4wd thing they can still drive like a$$holes.
Same with lots of snow or icy conditions, it’s just not worth it.
I cancel my calls, my clients say don’t with have 4wd? I say yes, but it not me I’m worried about.
On the flip side if it’s super hot/ humid or heatwave, and I’m working outside or in a place w/o a/c I won’t go.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:47 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I cursed myself. Got a call a call from a repeat customer. He’s a good guy, good customer. His main line is over 100’, which right now is my limit until I get another cable coming. I cabled it a few months ago and fought it for over two hours, could only get out 60’. Felt like my cutter was locking up on a separation or something. Not the worst root infestation I’ve dealt with, but pretty darn close. Got it open at about 40’, but I told him his best bet is to have it jetted and gave him a referral. He said he came into some money, probably a bonus or something, that he was trying to figure out where to move. I told him that jetting would be where he needs to spend that money. Maybe car trouble came up, but in his message he said he didn’t have it jetted and currently doesn’t have the money.

I’m going to give him a call back and tell him that Monday will be the soonest and no guarantee. I foresee a quick cable, blow bag and not open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Still an employee so I dont get the luxury if taking days off for snow unless it's really so bad that I can't see the road any more.

4" of snow is a standard Wednesday here. Down to freezing ha, last night it was negative 25F here without wind chill factor. So I would take your down below freezing as a nice spring day in a t-shirt right now.

To be honest when I become my own boss i might very well take an extra day or two as "snow day" and do some shop work or paper work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Still an employee so I dont get the luxury if taking days off for snow unless it's really so bad that I can't see the road any more.

4" of snow is a standard Wednesday here. Down to freezing ha, last night it was negative 25F here without wind chill factor. So I would take your down below freezing as a nice spring day in a t-shirt right now.

To be honest when I become my own boss i might very well take an extra day or two as "snow day" and do some shop work or paper work.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Weve had a mild winter this year, however with the ice.... to pull a cube out of the ditch can take 4 hours and $500. Everyone trys to get in front of the big white truck to make the next turn.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #6
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

It rained cats and dogs today but I got lucky and stayed home...

someone called me yesterday at 3 needing a water heater and I told them I could do it this morning but I would have to call them back when I finished the job I was on.. and I would talk in length with them.....

As I was driveing home I called them back 2 hours later and the guy basically got short with me and told me he got tired of waiting on me to call back and found someone else who claimed they would be at his home at 8 on Sat morning...... I really did not care that much and just let it slide., I told him good luck

this morning at 8 we had an extreme downpour which sounded real nice while I was laying in bed...... I honestly doubt anyone was at his home at 8 on a Satruday morning....

and .if they were sloshing around in that downpour they were not too happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:49 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Im upstate chilling for a week and its freaking 60 degrees in january..lol..to be fair it was 5 degrees when I got up on thursday...I think next week temps go back down alittle...
when its heavy snow or freezing rain my work truck stays parked..most likley you will end up in an accident and never get to the job, or take hours to get where it should take 30 minutes....not worth going out on those schitty days...
now rain , flurries....thats drive-able..all depends on the job....
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:04 PM   #8

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I cursed myself. Got a call a call from a repeat customer. He’s a good guy, good customer. His main line is over 100’, which right now is my limit until I get another cable coming. I cabled it a few months ago and fought it for over two hours, could only get out 60’. Felt like my cutter was locking up on a separation or something. Not the worst root infestation I’ve dealt with, but pretty darn close. Got it open at about 40’, but I told him his best bet is to have it jetted and gave him a referral. He said he came into some money, probably a bonus or something, that he was trying to figure out where to move. I told him that jetting would be where he needs to spend that money. Maybe car trouble came up, but in his message he said he didn’t have it jetted and currently doesn’t have the money.

I’m going to give him a call back and tell him that Monday will be the soonest and no guarantee. I foresee a quick cable, blow bag and not open.
I used to have one restaurant (Sisters - In Scarborough) the only way they could get the main line flushed, was for me to run my K1500 From a w/c 150’-160’ to the man hole, then they’d tie the flusher head to the end of my cable and we’d have to pull it back-up the main line..
it was a *****, the w/r was small and in a tight spot, worse was I only have about 100’ so I’d have to drive outa the city to rent an extra 100’.
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:56 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I used to have one restaurant (Sisters - In Scarborough) the only way they could get the main line flushed, was for me to run my K1500 From a w/c 150-160 to the man hole, then theyd tie the flusher head to the end of my cable and wed have to pull it back-up the main line..
it was a *****, the w/r was small and in a tight spot, worse was I only have about 100 so Id have to drive outa the city to rent an extra 100.

What's a flusher head?

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:58 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I used to have one restaurant (Sisters - In Scarborough) the only way they could get the main line flushed, was for me to run my K1500 From a w/c 150-160 to the man hole, then theyd tie the flusher head to the end of my cable and wed have to pull it back-up the main line..
it was a *****, the w/r was small and in a tight spot, worse was I only have about 100 so Id have to drive outa the city to rent an extra 100.
Oh man! I hate running the 1500 inside, even with the guide tube.