What's the oldest Water Heater you have ever replaced? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By skoronesa

Old 07-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #1
Master Plumber/Mechanical

View smythers1968's Photo Album My Photos
Default What's the oldest Water Heater you have ever replaced?

Went and looked at a Water Heater the other day not for a leak but they couldn't get it to maintain a pilot.

Soon as I changed the thermocouple I started getting a lot of smoke from the draft hood. Started looking at the flue pipe and is was single wall all the way out a side wall. Flue sloped backwards and clearances all wrong from combustibles.

Talked them into an electric water heater.

Cute little Rheem water heater 47 yrs old.
Attached Thumbnails
What's the oldest Water Heater you have ever replaced?-wh1.jpg  

What's the oldest Water Heater you have ever replaced?-wh2.jpg  

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 09:29 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by smythers1968 View Post
Went and looked at a Water Heater the other day not for a leak but they couldn't get it to maintain a pilot.

Soon as I changed the thermocouple I started getting a lot of smoke from the draft hood. Started looking at the flue pipe and is was single wall all the way out a side wall. Flue sloped backwards and clearances all wrong from combustibles.

Talked them into an electric water heater.

Cute little Rheem water heater 47 yrs old.

Wow, you'd be quite the car salesman. Pretty sure changing out a non-leaking water heater that old is a sin or something lolz jk.

I wouldn't have changed it just to see how long much longer it would last. Were they weekenders? Could you have changed the flue piping and gotten it working correctly?

The oldest I have changed was probably 60-70yrs, electric. We regularly change out 20, 30, and 40 yr old electric hot water heaters. Some really old cold water heaters too. The oldest around still working are 3 or 4 like 80 year old electrics. They are about 6-1/2' tall, dark olive drab like a ww2 jeep, and they octagonal or hexagonal, I forget which. The first time I saw one I thought it was a shower stall as the local police barracks had a dark olive drab shower stall but we replaced that a year or two ago.

Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Does not pertain to industry. Makes fun of other religious beliefs as a gag.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"

Last edited by GAN; Yesterday at 01:39 PM.. Reason: Video seems to be making fun of religous diversity. Does not pertain to the industry.
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote