Water Heater Protection - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 10-21-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

View mugdiller's Photo Album My Photos
Default Water Heater Protection

I have a question for any service guys on water heater installs. I guess I should start by explaining a few things. We offer different options on our water heater installs, varying warranties and products that come with the install. Currently on our 9 and 12 year models they come with a magnetic wrap (contamination trap). I am not a fan of this, and we are removing that as I don't believe it really does much, also something with a changeable filter is obviously future moneys. On our tankless units we install the Halo Heater Guardian, and I am considering moving that to tank installs as well, with the higher warranties, however, I can see that being an issue with space, as it will have to be plumbed in off the cold and to the side of the unit. Is anyone out there using a similar product in line to protect units that would work in the vertical position directly above the heater?
mugdiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #2
Former Moderator

View Phat Cat's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugdiller View Post
Currently on our 9 and 12 year models they come with a magnetic wrap (contamination trap). I am not a fan of this, and we are removing that as I don't believe it really does much, also something with a changeable filter is obviously future moneys.
I have a few questions myself.

1. What are you referring to when you say magnetic wrap? If it is what I think it is, then I agree, that it really doesn't do anything.

2. If you don't believe it really does much, then why were you selling it to your customers?

3. Do you believe the Halo Heater Guardian does what it claims to do?
Redwood (10-21-2015), wharfrat (10-22-2015)
Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Cat View Post
I have a few questions myself.

1. What are you referring to when you say magnetic wrap? If it is what I think it is, then I agree, that it really doesn't do anything.

2. If you don't believe it really does much, then why were you selling it to your customers?

3. Do you believe the Halo Heater Guardian does what it claims to do?
I'm smelling voodoo water conditioning...

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
GAN (10-22-2015), Master Mark (10-24-2015), sparky (10-21-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

View mugdiller's Photo Album My Photos

It is a foot long magnet, installed on the cold side of the water heater, basically it is the replacement of what used to be the American Limefighter. we are not "selling" it to the customer, it comes with the unit, and actually is there to protect our investment of giving long tank warranties, though I do not think it is near as effective as the Halo, we have only had to replace a water heater under 9 years in 12 years of doing this.

as far as the halo guardian, I absolutely think it works. of the couple hundred tankless units we have in the field, we have replaced heat exchangers on 4 of them, none of which had protection. Not a single tankless in the field without a softener and with the guardian have gone bad. And I'm speaking 25+ grains in many of these applications. I was just wondering if anyone was using anything different.

I absolutely am a firm believer in water conditioning, but you do have those customers who do not want soft water, no matter the education you give them
mugdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Soft water in some areas is not that great. Depending on the chlorination treatment with softened water the microscopic particulates can more readily adhere to the copper. This starts an internal reaction which can pit through the copper, always happens on the bottom of the horizontal piping, on long runs, never on top or usually not vertical sections and never around fittings.

I have seen this happen for years in my area, especially is a nearby community to the point that they will only allow type L at a minimum inside, PVC or CPVC. Locla insurance companies will not re-insure uless changes are made after a claim.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

View johnmeto's Photo Album My Photos

It is a foot long magnet, introduced on the cool side of the water radiator, essentially it is the substitution of what used to be the American Limefighter.
johnmeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:10 AM   #7

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeto View Post
It is a foot long magnet, introduced on the cool side of the water radiator, essentially it is the substitution of what used to be the American Limefighter.
Can we get a ban on this guy? I don't think we need someone that hasn't posted an intro running around here borderline plagiarizing members. Each and every single post of theirs is an almost exact word for word snippet of what someone said previously in each post.

It really seems like someone just playing around.
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #8
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonkie View Post

Can we get a ban on this guy? I don't think we need someone that hasn't posted an intro running around here borderline plagiarizing members. Each and every single post of theirs is an almost exact word for word snippet of what someone said previously in each post.

It really seems like someone just playing around.
Consider it done. Nice catch !
chonkie (10-24-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

View supakingDFW's Photo Album My Photos

^^^^I was wondering how long that was gonna take!
supakingDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
Former Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supakingDFW View Post
^^^^I was wondering how long that was gonna take!
How long that would take had me wondering.

^^^^^ Couldn't resist the temptation.
chonkie (10-24-2015), GAN (10-26-2015)