Water heater brands - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree32Likes

Old 07-01-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default Water heater brands

I think that I lost a job last week because the HO was looking for a different answer. He had a 6 year water heater that went, at 12 years. He was looking for a brand recommendation, I told him that for the most part I have not seen a lot of difference between the commonly available brands, and the major determining factor on how long they will last is a home water supply's specific chemistry, and to some extent it's plumbing system. Some homes will get 12 years out of a 6 year heater, some even more, yet some are lucky to get 8. He didn't seem comfortable with that answer and wanted some absolutes, like X brand is the best, Y brand is the worst, and everyone in the industry knows those two secrets. I suppose I should have come up with some BS answer that is what he wanted to hear, but that is not me.

What does everyone else think? Have you seen any patterns with regard to brands?
skoronesa likes this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Good thing you didn't get the job. The guy would of held you responsible if you'd say this brand lasts 12 years and it failed after 10 years.

You gotta check which brand has has more liner thickness, type of anode. Even with that info it's like spinning the wheel of fortune.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

they are all the same for the most part if bought from a supply house...you pay a hell of a lot more for a 12 year heater and that just covers the replacement one, but they really arent made any different..now the ones you buy from the big box stores have cheaper parts to make them that little bit cheaper , just like all the tools and equipment the big box stores sell, plastic parts where metal ones should be along with cheaper bearings or switches to get the price down, same with faucets and anything they sell...
sparky, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 PM   #4

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

Dumb ass HO.

As for a water heater preference, I concentrate on what type of backup I get from my supplier if I get stuck with a lemon.
If I get a faulty heater right out of the box, the last thing I want to do is try to fix it. I'm not in the new water heater fix it business, that's what the manufacturer's reps are for.
That especially goes for tankless units.
If the installation is solid, I've done my job and woe betide the wholesaler who doesn't
quickly call out the marines if a unit I've installed takes a crap from the get go.
I guaranty that they will be dealing with one less water heater customer going forward.
And, any problems arise in the first year, all I should need to do is drop a call with them with the relevant information and let them handle it.
breplum, dhal22, skoronesa and 1 others like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with the OP, they all pretty much suck the same and are almost identical. I don't play the feelings game when it comes to plumbing, you ask me a question I give a solid answer based on either code requirements or what is least likely to fail and still be economical. I love sweat copper and hate pex but I will still push pex if it is right for the situation. I am wary of propress but use at least once a week. We seel state electric water heaters because that is what our supply house carries but i can't say they last nay longer than the whirpool ones people install themselves.

I would like to add though that Everhot Thermo-flow water heaters see, to last like 20 years where as the others last like 10 around here. I have only seen like 2 electric ones, all the rest were either oil fired or indirects. I think I saw one propane conversion.

Speco or vaughn stone lined ones are great too but I would never suggest one, my back wouldn't allow it lolz.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

We install Rheem and Bradfords.... usually a 6 year warranty come with them... if they want a 10 year warranty its another 200..

Normally when they start asking a bunch of fool questions about the life of the heater I tell them that I dont really know how long the heater will last......

I tell them its like buying a new car, and one new car does not get a block down the road without failing and another one goes 600k with no issues at all...

I give them the options like a thermal exp tank and a Prv valve on the main line but most dont want to spend the money for them

I normally will back up any heater that we install that fails under warranty and they get a new heater for the labor installation fee.... normally about 475....if we did not install it then they get it for half the cost of full price.....

The water quality in our area is nasty and I dont have a clue as to what the water company is throwing into the system these days..... but I think it is killing off the heaters faster.....
------------------------------------------------
I just changed out a 50 gallon electric Smith heater that was the 4th one they had in the last 5 years.... They had about 150lbs water pressure, no water heater pan, no thermal xpansion tank, no pressure reducing valve... and #3 flooded the hell out of the house....

We did the warranty and added the extras to kick down the pressure to about 75..... I told him the code is that the pan is required. which would have saved him tons of grief,,,,, and the other therm tank and prv valve should be installed if you have high pressure..... but they do help extend the life of the heater......

He wants to go after the builder and the original plumber and the last plumber who half-assed in the heater , but its not gonna amount to anything.... but he is pissed off that he has to pay 1000 deductable to his insurance company.....

on another note their are about 300 homes in this addition with 150psi so word will probably get around about this issue....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
sparky (07-08-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
...They had about 150lbs water pressure.....
on another note their are about 300 homes in this addition with 150psi so word will probably get around about this issue....

Wow, that's a lot of psis

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #8

View smoldrn's Photo Album My Photos

You should stay busy there just installing prv's, if nothing else..
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:05 AM   #9

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddpritchard View Post
Bradford White, they are the only ones I can comfortably say are made in america.
What about the ao Smith/ state factory in Tennessee? Been there toured that one.
Master Mark and MASTRPLUMB like this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:52 PM   #10

View MASTRPLUMB's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation

According to MFG'S Warranty Excess water pressure, and no
Thermal Expansion Tank VOIDS the "WARRANTY" !
If they request a tank sent to them for Inspection they will refuse the
replacement Credit !
Thats from over 30yrs, Doing Warranty service for all MFG'S
sparky and skoronesa like this.
MASTRPLUMB is online now   Reply With Quote