Unknown Well Device - Page 3 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion


Like Tree24Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
So that should be like 48 psi then.
if the cut off pressure for the system is 50 then 48 in the bladder should be fine.. I would lower it down to 46 lbs to be safe..
Tango likes this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-01-2020, 11:06 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,447

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
if the cut off pressure for the system is 50 then 48 in the bladder should be fine.. I would lower it down to 46 lbs to be safe..



How is it safer? Realistically it just has to be lower than the cut-in, even if that's only a 1/4psi. I have never heard anyone say lower than 2psi below the cut-in though.






.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
How is it safer? Realistically it just has to be lower than the cut-in, even if that's only a 1/4psi. I have never heard anyone say lower than 2psi below the cut-in though.






.
because none of those components are spot on, so you dont want to end up with more pressure in the bladder than what the pump is set at, so a 4 pound difference will make sure of that..its not rocket science..
all you have todo is read the instructions.....
I have 3 deep wells upstate that are set up that way and have worked fine for over 15 years...
Tango likes this.
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,447

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
because none of those components are spot on, so you dont want to end up with more pressure in the bladder than what the pump is set at, so a 4 pound difference will make sure of that..its not rocket science..
all you have todo is read the instructions.....
I have 3 deep wells upstate that are set up that way and have worked fine for over 15 years...





You haven't explained why you think less air pressure in the tank is "safer". By what mechanism do you assert the small pressure difference or lack there of affects safety?





You have 3 wells and we have thousands of wells around here where our guys set he bladders at the same or no less than 2psi below the cut in because that's just how our company does it. What's your definition of a "deep well"? Any thing with a submersible pump in a casing? We have some wells over 900' deep with three phase pumps. Never once have I heard anyone suggest lower than 2psi below cut in. A normal drill depth around here is about 250' with the pumps at about 150-200'.



I have seen plenty of wells where the well tank was factory precharged to 40psi and the homeowner installed it themselves with a 30-50 pressure switch. It ain't right and you certainly get a shorter swing but I don't see it being "dangerous".

I'm not saying you're wrong, and yeah, most of those components are off by a good margin at times. I really would like to do a tree of tees with like 4- 100psi gauges and see how they all compare brand new.









.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,447

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
because none of those components are spot on, so you dont want to end up with more pressure in the bladder than what the pump is set at,



Don't you measure both with the same gauge? If you do than it doesn't matter what they actually are because now you know what they are relative to each other. Having too low of an air pressure will over stress where the bladder connects to the tank wall.


I have seen brand new gauges off by 5 or 10 psi right out of the box. I have 3 different test gauges and check them against each other regularly so I know they are all consistent and if one goes whacky I get a new one. I also never lend out my good gauges.








.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
The Dane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NW Minnesota
Posts: 1,068

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post


You haven't explained why you think less air pressure in the tank is "safer". By what mechanism do you assert the small pressure difference or lack there of affects safety?





You have 3 wells and we have thousands of wells around here where our guys set he bladders at the same or no less than 2psi below the cut in because that's just how our company does it. What's your definition of a "deep well"? Any thing with a submersible pump in a casing? We have some wells over 900' deep with three phase pumps. Never once have I heard anyone suggest lower than 2psi below cut in. A normal drill depth around here is about 250' with the pumps at about 150-200'.



I have seen plenty of wells where the well tank was factory precharged to 40psi and the homeowner installed it themselves with a 30-50 pressure switch. It ain't right and you certainly get a shorter swing but I don't see it being "dangerous".

I'm not saying you're wrong, and yeah, most of those components are off by a good margin at times. I really would like to do a tree of tees with like 4- 100psi gauges and see how they all compare brand new.









.
By order from the boss if we deal with expansion tanks we just put in a precharged one and call it good. I asked about checking the pressure once and was told not to bother with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Dane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,447

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
By order from the boss if we deal with expansion tanks we just put in a precharged one and call it good. I asked about checking the pressure once and was told not to bother with it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk



Amtrol makes most of them and their precharge is 38psi so if you use 60/40 pressure switches that's fine. That 38psi factory charge is +/- 10% as stated on their website.




Not the end of the world but you should probably be checking it.












.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:03 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post


You haven't explained why you think less air pressure in the tank is "safer". By what mechanism do you assert the small pressure difference or lack there of affects safety?





You have 3 wells and we have thousands of wells around here where our guys set he bladders at the same or no less than 2psi below the cut in because that's just how our company does it. What's your definition of a "deep well"? Any thing with a submersible pump in a casing? We have some wells over 900' deep with three phase pumps. Never once have I heard anyone suggest lower than 2psi below cut in. A normal drill depth around here is about 250' with the pumps at about 150-200'.



I have seen plenty of wells where the well tank was factory precharged to 40psi and the homeowner installed it themselves with a 30-50 pressure switch. It ain't right and you certainly get a shorter swing but I don't see it being "dangerous".

I'm not saying you're wrong, and yeah, most of those components are off by a good margin at times. I really would like to do a tree of tees with like 4- 100psi gauges and see how they all compare brand new.









.
not safer in the way of it blowing up you bozo but so the pump doesnt short cycle and make the bladder lose most of its volume
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:07 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
ShtRnsdownhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 7,946

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Don't you measure both with the same gauge? If you do than it doesn't matter what they actually are because now you know what they are relative to each other. Having too low of an air pressure will over stress where the bladder connects to the tank wall.


I have seen brand new gauges off by 5 or 10 psi right out of the box. I have 3 different test gauges and check them against each other regularly so I know they are all consistent and if one goes whacky I get a new one. I also never lend out my good gauges.








.
no because 1 is water pressure and 1 is air pressure, the water has a gauge already ...your getting anal about something that does not have to be precise to the fraction...
__________________
You cant cure stupid, only kill it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,447

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
no because 1 is water pressure and 1 is air pressure, the water has a gauge already ...your getting anal about something that does not have to be precise to the fraction...



No, I am not, that's exactly the opposite of my argument. I said that the same or just below the cut in was fine. You're the one who said we need to take extra care to be on the safe side.


I say do like dane's boss said and that's good enough, no gauges needed.



And how tough is it to get a hose cap snifter valve? Then you can check the pressure on the tank(air) and the tank tee drain(water) with your gauge that you know is good.


Seriously? When was the last time you saw a gauge on a tank tee you KNEW was accurate that you didn't just put in?








.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com