Tutoring needed... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Tango
  • 2 Post By goeswiththeflow
  • 2 Post By Plumbus

Old 11-27-2019, 04:09 PM   #1

View PacificPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tutoring needed...

If theres anyone in the Vancouver BC area.

I really need some help. I am very likely to fail my second year schooling.

I did decently finding codes.

But doing Diagrams I am utterly failing them all.

My brain just doesn't work the same. I have dyscaculia and some other learning disabilities.

I'm actually a good plumber but I do not do well with math and these combination drawings.

I even have trouble labeling this stuff.

I've improved but theres no way I am passing my exam tomorrow.

I did well doing wet venting but this is gonna be all combination.

Please no nastiness regarding my struggles.

At least I'm still trying even though I am burried quite deep in self loathing and pity.
Attached Thumbnails
Tutoring needed...-20191127_091426_1574885103740.jpg  

PacificPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You have to note the discharge value for each fixture. Then convert the continuous flow fixture into units. Then add it up to find the size of the branch. Then add all branches to get your main.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 02:05 PM   #3
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

This may or may not help, since you have already taken the test, and I don't know how things work in BC, but are you sure that it is as bad as you think?

In my state there is absolutely no requirement to get any kind of passing grade during your apprenticeship. In fact there is no testing infrastructure set up by the state whatsoever. There is a general outline which lays out a basic order for which subjects are to be taught each year, but other than that the only requirements are to sit in the classroon seat for a certain number of hours, work on the job for a certain number of hours per year, and then pass the journeyman's test. There are a lot of apprentices who have not yet figured that out, including some teachers. Some teachers who are on power trips try to hold it over guys' heads, but the only requirement from the state is to sit in the classroom for the required amount of time. There is not even a pass/fail requirement. Some teachers give weekly tests, others do not give a single test the entire year. You should look into it in your province to see what the actual requirements are.

Yes, you will have to pass the journeyman's test eventually, but there are likely to be only so many questions on DWV. That is not to give you license to blow it off or be lazy, but everyone is better at learning some concepts than others. It will come, and if not there are other avenues to persue that can make use of your strengths.

I struggle with the concept of venting lay outs too, and that surprised me since I've always been a good student, in the classroom. I found that multi-unit new construction is a good way to get a handle on it. Most units will be the same, so you just follow the previous unit mindlessly, and so on until small things start to click here and there and it starts to make sense. Finding the right licensed guy to work with and teach you helps a lot too. You just have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the one that works for you.

One thing you are going to have to learn that they don't teach you in school is that you must develop a tough skin to work in this industry, especially as a female. Things have improved by leaps and bounds, but there are a lot of Neandertals still left, a lot. Get off your pity party and stop being afraid of who is going to think badly about you. Eff them all. Even if they are right to some degree, there are still plenty of guys out there who have horrible skills, work ethic and/or intelligence who are still successful plumbers. There are guys out there who are more intelligent than you who are not the best plumbers.

You seem to have the right drive and attitude, so get the right mentality too. Even if they do have the passing requirement each year in your province you will get there. Plumbing takes hard work.... physical work, school work. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it, and we'd be paid like Walmart cashiers.

Quote:
I did decently finding codes.
There are many guys who are not. Capitalize on that strength.

Quote:
My brain just doesn't work the same. I have dyscaculia and some other learning disabilities.
EVERYONE'S brain works differently. You are making excuses. Go slap your high school guidance councelor.

Quote:
I'm actually a good plumber but I do not do well with math
You and many other plumbers.

Quote:
Please no nastiness regarding my struggles.

At least I'm still trying even though I am burried quite deep in self loathing and pity.
Get over it. If you can sit and use a computer and compose these posts you can do it. But if you just want to go be a waitress there is that. Your high school teachers aren't around anymore to tell you how wonderful everything is that you have ever done. You are out in the real world now. Go tell them how much they wronged you, and then get back to work. You're half way there.
Advertisement

Old Today, 12:30 PM   #4

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

If you have problems with your calculations, make a list of those you are specifically stumped by. Then, take your list to your instructor (after class) and ask for help. it's rare to find an instructor who won't go out of their way to help a willing student. Willing students are mothers milk to teachers. When a teacher helps a student master a concept, the victory is a shared experience.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote