Trying out the tool pouch - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree13Likes

Old 11-23-2019, 11:07 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Trying out the tool pouch

Bought this, tierd of luggin around a bag with everthing i own, also cant stand tossin my tools in a dirty bucket with dirty rags.
Any you guys work with pouches ? Always thought its more for hvac tech an electricians but iv been workin a couple weeks with it an my back is happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying out the tool pouch-screenshot_20191123-220235_gallery_1574564811217.jpg  

canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 04:58 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Bought this, tierd of luggin around a bag with everthing i own, also cant stand tossin my tools in a dirty bucket with dirty rags.
Any you guys work with pouches ? Always thought its more for hvac tech an electricians but iv been workin a couple weeks with it an my back is happy.
I never see hvac guys with tool belts. Only electricians, carpenters, and a couple of our duct guys. Tool belts just don't hold every thing you need for service, and definitely don't hold everything for rough or trim. Most of our reno/newcon guys have a tool tote twice the size of my toolbag.

Attached is a pic of my new/duplicate toolbag. I like this model of tool bag, they are 23$ at wally world, I buy a couple when I drive into the city. They last me like a year before they get mangy and I relegate them to non-daily use. I have gotten a new one each year for the past 6 years I think. Before that I had a good macgregor bag which was pretty much the same but much better made. Unfortunately it is discontinued.

I always keep a couple rags in my bag. My buddy who runs a mcds talked to the owner and they sold me a case of 72 brand new all cotton rags for the 27$ cost. Much better than the cut up polyester blend clothing rags the shop buys from grainger. I bleach wash them when I get a bucket of dirty rags and drop cloths. About once a week.

It has a plastic base which comes up about an inch. Sometimes I forget my little bucket so I just use my tool bag to catch the water when I remove a supply line or sometimes a trap. I have had customers watch me do this, some ask me first if I want a cup because they see what will happen. They stutter or go bug eyed when I use my toolbag. I had one old guy die laughing. It really breaks the tension and is good for a chuckle.

My biggest complaint is that there are two strips of metal in the zippered edge which hold the opening stiff. They overlap right where you hip goes and have very sharp ends. Over time the stitching opens and you'll end up taking a dagger to the side. I sew it back up when this happens. The strap pad could be stiffer/thicker/more padding.

https://www.amazon.com/BOSTITCH-BTST.../dp/B00PCDYLLE
Attached Thumbnails
Trying out the tool pouch-duptb.jpg  

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #3
canuckPlumBbob

Catchin water in the tool bag, first time iv herd of that lol
I have a bag thats 2 feet long has 40 ish pockets an open storage bay. Never had to run back to the truck for a tool but the thing killed my back, was overkill.
Trying somthing different got 3 bags set up for certain jobs some parts bags for screws nuts washers etc.

After a while i figured there got to be more comfortable an effcient way of working.

I was suprised how much i can stuff in that pouch. Its 17 lbs loaded an has 24 tools
skoronesa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Catchin water in the tool bag, first time iv herd of that lol
I have a bag thats 2 feet long has 40 ish pockets an open storage bay. Never had to run back to the truck for a tool but the thing killed my back, was overkill.
Trying somthing different got 3 bags set up for certain jobs some parts bags for screws nuts washers etc.

After a while i figured there got to be more comfortable an effcient way of working.

I was suprised how much i can stuff in that pouch. Its 17 lbs loaded an has 24 tools

That duplicate I posted I think weighs around 20. My normal one prolly weighs 30. I used to keep a 14 and an 18 in there along with some other stuff and it was definitely over 40.

I too have developed a system. I have a 7 gallon toilet bucket. It has my copper pump, a drop cloth, supply lines, rubber seals, wax seals, joni bolts and caps, t/b seal and bolt kits, and a bag of just random handy toilet bits.

In another 7 gallon bucket I have a ton of different flappers, flush valve seals, levers, and some other handy toilet parts.

Then I have a half full 7 gallon bucket with tubular washers and nuts. It has a plywood divider to separate the 1-1/2" from 1-1/4". It also stops them frombeing crushed as the toilet parts bucket stays on/in it.

I keep around 10-five gallon buckets in the back empty. When I go into a house I grab my tool bag, a five gallon bucket, and fill it with what I will need. For pulling/replacing toilets I only grab the toilet bucket.

I find the most important part is my tool bag slung over one side counter balanced with a bucket of stuff in the other hand to keep my back straight. People ask to carry one and think I am being stupid/stubborn when I tell them "No thanks, it's easier this way.".

Ever try to carry one full bucket that keeps pulling you over? So much more difficult than two half full ones.

Attached Thumbnails
Trying out the tool pouch-imag0518.jpg  

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:46 AM   #5

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I use this small Milwaukee tote, for the most part, with the most used hand tools. it’s better then lugging in a huge heavy bag of tools I don’t need. It also keeps the clutter to a minimum like screws, copper fittings, etc. and scrap..
I have a second larger Milwaukee tool tote with aux tools for bigger/longer jobs.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying out the tool pouch-31dcf0ad-beb2-4bf7-9934-5e13260b35c3_1574660792003.jpeg  

GAN likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:49 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

LOL...the good old 5 gallon bucket..nothing beats that for holding and hauling tools and stuff...
Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
LOL...the good old 5 gallon bucket..nothing beats that for holding and hauling tools and stuff...
Did that, that same bucket has had tampons, cockroaches sewer juice etc .. in it. Tierd of sanitizing tools after jobs like that.
Not to mention i end up dumping it out to find somthing. Ends up being a catch all. Just got tierd of the bucket life lol
Venomthirst likes this.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

I have like tons of tool bags and 3 buckets..

I have a solder bag.. a gas bag( multimeter, nanometer, various trinkets and jumpers and such)... I have a drill bag with fasteners and hole saws and various bits..

I have a service pouch for fixing taps and faucets which has sockets, a ridgid faucet tool, Allen keys, wrenches, seat wrenches, Philip's, flat, and a red robbie tin snips..

I have 2 large 5 gal tool bucket pouches
Various stuff like hammers.. more tin snips metal shears.. level.. beveler.
Large pipe cutter.. pipe wrenches of various assortments 18" and under files..

I have a toilet bucket 1 gal pail which has micro channel locks, caps, bolts, seals, tiny tim, shims and a razor knife..

Kitchen bucket.. 2gal pail nut driver flathead channel locks , large flat bathtub plug stinky rag and a spray bottle dish soap and water

Mainline bucket.. 5gal pail and 2 gal pail

2 gal pail contains 2"-6" cutters various assortments and types different stuff..
Multi screw driver.. 25' paracord.. razor knife.. 1"x4" aluminum square tube... Allen keys.. yoga mat.. masking tape and a few garbage bags

5 gal pail is for roots and wipes and whatever is pulled off the line..
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #9

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

You know what’s crazy about the 5-gallon bucket? It was originally made as a stool with a handle for transport. Someone flipped it upside down and figured out it was good for carrying stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Venomthirst likes this.
Toli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:15 AM   #10

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I use 3 of these(see pic), this is just the stuff I need or use daily easily organized for quick access.

1 for- copper/pex/comp fittings, solder, torch tip, flux, paste sandcloth, pipe cutter, etc,

1 for- screws/anchors, nuts/bolts, drill bits, some brackets etc,
1 for faucet repair- washers/seats/o-rings, grease, gaskets, Allen keys/small
pliers/small 8 bit screwdriver.

They lock together if needed. And the stack nicely.

As for the 5 gal bucket for tools:
I found it just got bogged down and heavy with scrap, materials and tools I didn’t need to lug around.
Attached Thumbnails
Trying out the tool pouch-7ffa55c9-7f8a-4038-85e7-571ec1770c5b_1574741562309.jpeg  

Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote