Think I got someone fired friday.... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree22Likes

Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default Think I got someone fired friday....

Never had this happen to me before...

We installed a new Rheem heater in 2014 and the SS elements fried out in a few months, we replaced the elements and the same problem happenned again... So I changed out the heater and installed a warranty unit for free...

I told the owner that something fishey is probably wrong with the Electrical in the home and to get it checked out...

Then in sept of 2015 the heater fried out again......so I decided for the third and last time to change it out to keep this guy happy and installed a Bradford White with Incinoly elements in it.......
He claimed that he had an electrician out there and said nothing is wrong......

Well, Friday morning the heater fried out again.. I get the customer calling me on the phone telling me that the has two other plumbers at his home and they claim that I installed a 23 year old used water heater in his house... and he wants to know what I am gonna do about it??
I asked him where in the hell would I get a 23 year old heater???

So they want to install him a new heater and dump the blame on me and this fellow now thinks I have been installing used heaters in his home ever since the first one.......great....

Then I said well, you watched me cut the heater out of a brand new box so how do you explain all this...??? And he comes back with you could have re-packaged the old heaters in a new box just to trick your customers

I politely try to tell the customer that someone is lieing to you and blowing smoke up your ass right now........and its not me....

We sort of tangle ass-holes for a short while and I tell him to text me a picture of the rating tag on the Bradford heater and I will call it in for myself to check.... and then I ask to talk to the num-nuts that are in the basement looking at the heater.......

The num-nut claims its a 23 year old heater and he has never seen elements like the ones on that heater before..... So I ask him for his bosses telephone number.....and he gives it to me...

I tell the owner I will give him a full refund if I can have the heater back and we argue about when he will get the money...like I am supposed to drop everything and come out there right now... I tell him we will do this on Sat morning.......

I call his boss on the phone and tell the guy I dont appreciate someone dumping on my work and claiming I screwed the customer because this guy is gonna jump on google and yelp and go nuts with some crappy reviews on me....

The picture of the rating tag comes to me and its a MH series which shows on line it was made in August of 2015....

I know this owner of the other company and he is ok and he realized that some "mistake" had happenned.... I tell him the story about how this is the third heater I have installed for this guy and now his dick is firmly inserted into this mess and its not my problem any more.

I call the customer back and tell him to look on line for himself and see when the heater was made.....and that the owner of this other company will be calling you shortly.......

Anyway .....about an hour passed and the customer calls me back to apologize about this whole thing and I say I understand but would still like to have the heater back...

then he tells me that they just decided to change the elements...
I dont think I would have let those two num-nuts touch the heater if at one point they said that they never had seen elements like those before........I hope that they dont burn down the house.....

well that was my friday morning

dhal22, Plumbergeek, GAN and 4 others like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #2

View 5onthefloor's Photo Album My Photos

Duuuuuuuuuuuude....this would have really ticked me off.
So the customer would rather trust some salesman about to sell him another heater than the guy who's been replacing the defective units on his dime.
Priceless!
Seems like there is something wrong with electrical but oh well not worth it to find out after that fiasco

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
5onthefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5onthefloor View Post
Duuuuuuuuuuuude....this would have really ticked me off.
So the customer would rather trust some salesman about to sell him another heater than the guy who's been replacing the defective units on his dime.
Priceless!
Seems like there is something wrong with electrical but oh well not worth it to find out after that fiasco

I was more than a little ticked off at this fellow and I took a long lunch break to "gear down" from this argument.. Considering I went the extra mile changeing out the heaters to try to keep the guy happy in the first place... then this crap gets flung in my face.....

the guy threatened to drag my name in the mud on yelp and google even after I told him I would give him a refund.......

When he finally called me back to apologize to me....
I could not help myself but to say to him..... so how about an apology on Google and yelp too or at the very least a good review...

I wonder if the other company is gonna get reamed out on google like he was gonna do to me considering they were clearly making up a story in the hopes of selling the guy a new heater
(and maybe they made an honest mistake)

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #4

View 5onthefloor's Photo Album My Photos

Always amazes me how people will take to the webs and rail someone trying to make it right. They won't post their mistake but kudos to you for taking that high road

GAN and MACPLUMB777 like this.
5onthefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

View Eddy k's Photo Album My Photos

How about having an electrician you know look at it so you can get this guy out of your hair forever.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Eddy k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #6

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

When an hourly paid employee is grumbling about his job, he should walk in your shoes and have to deal with these type of headaches.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:56 PM   #7
Plumbing since 1974

View breplum's Photo Album My Photos

Master Mark, you have my sympathies! Forums like this can be nice to Have some place to blow off steam and get a little sympathy. Because no one but your fellow tradespeople truly can appreciate what a over-and-above job you’ve given him to date, and how much you’ve been through.
What a nightmare; and especially the puzzling part of what could be the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

925 283-3408
breplum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to breplum For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (09-26-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy k View Post
How about having an electrician you know look at it so you can get this guy out of your hair forever.

That is the part that gripes my ass the most..
I really doubt he has ever got someone out to look at everything

I got hold of a union Electrician yesterday and told him the story....
this eelectrician says you can just call the power company and they can put a meter on your meter to see if their are any power spikes going into your home and he says its a free service....

He called this guy and left his number and he is doing work near by next week so he could go by and look at it.....

I dont think its gonna happen but if he at least can convince the guy to get the meter from the power company that would be a start.....

One thing I know for sure...
.NO MORE FREE SERVICE CALLS FOR THIS BOY

He is now the other plumbers problem from here on out...

GAN, Debo22, OpenSights and 1 others like this.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #9

View TheOfficeGirl's Photo Album My Photos

I give you credit, Master Mark. After being called a shabby liar I would not have asked any of my electrician friends to help him. Thats a customer who burned a bridge!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
TheOfficeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheOfficeGirl For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 02:35 PM   #10
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Weird issue, Unless dry fired there should be no reason this could happen. Possibly if the home is getting more than 2-120V lines making up the 220V main panel.

If that were the case, it seems like something else would be affected also. After all your are getting only 120v across 2 separate feeds period and they would only draw the wattage needed again unless one run possibly has more than 120v.

Let us know if you find out. Got my curiosity peaked.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote