Stupid Rheem power vent heater - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree28Likes

Old 07-31-2020, 08:29 PM   #1
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stupid Rheem power vent heater

We get into an air b+b house and its having major troubles with the water heater ......

I talk them into a new Rheem Power vented unit.... The install goes great,,
then about 2 weeks pass and they start having intermittent hot water and the guests that stay there are all peeved about lukewarm water.....

So, Last friday afternoon I race up to the supply house and get the new control that goes on the power vent unit...... It some how clips onto the unit and a special tool will spring it off the body and all you have to do is snap the new one on and you are supposed to be good to go......

the problem with this is I noticed that the brass temperature sensor is not getting changed out when you do this and it is still imbedded in the water heater........ I realize that this is a major flaw just waiting to happen and I try to get the whole part but their are none available in town....

if it turns out to be the sensor that is bad you have to special order this
brass fitting with the sensor inside it....

Anyway , tonight they call and tell me the heater will not heat again....
so this means I get another Warranty service call out of Rheem and now someone has got to cough up a new brass body that goes into the heater....

I get the feeling I will be changing out the heater before they can get this oddball part to show up.....

I really dont understand why they would want to make something so difficult to where you could have just changed out the whole assembly in less than 5 minutes like most common water heaters are set up for....

but instead you have to stand on your head with a special tool and pry the box off the control body and hope that this half assed approach will actually repair the problem....when you gamble on the sensor inside the heater might also be the issue.....

very piss poor design, but my salesman is claiming that they all are going to this honeywell control box only being sent out...

thank you Rheem for making next week a challenge...

I am probably just going to claim the damn thing is leaking and swap it out and save myself a lot of greif and misery...

skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (08-06-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 08:39 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

you just answered your own question..they are designed like that NOT to be fixed but easier to replace than try and chase parts and try to explain why they wont have hot water for a week, this one may be under warranty, but when the warranty on those type parts expire( I believe a while before the tank warranty expires), it wont be worth the cost and time of fixing than replacing..and you end up buying more heaters from them..
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
you just answered your own question..they are designed like that NOT to be fixed but easier to replace than try and chase parts and try to explain why they wont have hot water for a week, this one may be under warranty, but when the warranty on those type parts expire( I believe a while before the tank warranty expires), it wont be worth the cost and time of fixing than replacing..and you end up buying more heaters from them..
Well, that sucks if this is the case... this could be a lot of troubles after the warranty is out on the unit.... and I am being told that ALL of the brands are going to this design....

So, they would rather see me spend my day fooling around with my thumb up my ass attempting to make what they KNOW is probably a half-way repair instead of giving me a complete kit to be 100% sure the problem is resolved....

I will be talking to the local Rheem rep real soon , to tell them what I think of their shi//y design ...

I had to raise hell and do about the same thing in 2004 when they increased the size of all their heaters by about 3 inches wider.. I got to talk to one of the head VPs at Rheem and explain why I stopped using their product.....eventually they shrunk the heater back down to a manageable size

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
Well, that sucks if this is the case... this could be a lot of troubles after the warranty is out on the unit.... and I am being told that ALL of the brands are going to this design....

So, they would rather see me spend my day fooling around with my thumb up my ass attempting to make what they KNOW is probably a half-way repair instead of giving me a complete kit to be 100% sure the problem is resolved....

I will be talking to the local Rheem rep real soon , to tell them what I think of their shi//y design ...

I had to raise hell and do about the same thing in 2004 when they increased the size of all their heaters by about 3 inches wider.. I got to talk to one of the head VPs at Rheem and explain why I stopped using their product.....eventually they shrunk the heater back down to a manageable size

well I think more bad news will follow..with technology getting more complicated...and creaping into every part of life..
did you know skil chainsaws now have computer chips in them, so it took your ability to adjust fuel air mixtures, it has to be programed now...
so the same will happen to all products...
why you ask??? CONTROL....
just imagine all water heaters, boilers or any device having computers in them and hooked up to the internet and are monitored by???? who knows..and if you use too much energy..you get shut down...or what info they collect on your habits by your energy usage...
sound crazy?? just look around you the last few months and you would have said 7 or 8 months ago it would never be like what we are living NOW...
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I’ll ask tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure when we’ve had a heater that goes bad unreasonably quick, that my supply house has forms to fill out and send in. We don’t get as much as we’d normally charge, but it’s something.
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:28 PM   #6

View justme's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Ill ask tomorrow, but Im pretty sure when weve had a heater that goes bad unreasonably quick, that my supply house has forms to fill out and send in. We dont get as much as wed normally charge, but its something.

Yeah it's no where near what a plumber would charge. That's why the warranty plumbers always have to find something wrong with an install in order to charge extra beyond the warranty.
OpenSights, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
justme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Ill ask tomorrow, but Im pretty sure when weve had a heater that goes bad unreasonably quick, that my supply house has forms to fill out and send in. We dont get as much as wed normally charge, but its something.

I give them a bill for 150 to pick up the part and change it out.....
today I talked to our Rheem guy and basically I told him I was probably
just gonna change out the heater and warranty it out completely....

he was ok , fine with that...... or he said they would just throw me another 150 to change the shank out.....

of course this does not necessarily mean the heater will straighten out and fly right after doing this...

I prefer just changeing it
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #8

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

I'd think about changing more than the heater, like changing brands.
dhal22 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:49 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme View Post
Yeah it's no where near what a plumber would charge. That's why the warranty plumbers always have to find something wrong with an install in order to charge extra beyond the warranty.
Ha one of the reps is always on my case saying I'll put you on my list for water heater repair or a replacement. Then I asked how much it paid, I laughed at him outright. The repair paid less than my service call without adding my 1hr minimum, it just covered gas and I'd be working for free .

The replacement was about (after taxes) 80$. so basically they are idiots. No one is buying their stuff anyways.

Last edited by Tango; 08-05-2020 at 09:56 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #10

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Mark, can you post any pictures or a video next time?

Thanks. I have not run into this...............yet.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.