Straight time and how it saves your employer - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree23Likes

Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #1

View MindLost's Photo Album My Photos
Default Straight time and how it saves your employer

I am curious if a business owner could explain exactly how much money an employer saves by paying you straight time as opposed to time and half over time. Besides the obvious savings in payroll, what other factors come into play from a business perspective?

I would think that they would save in taxes, workmans comp, at the same time completely F you out of SS pay in, along with unemployment.

How much of a scumbag is a boss that doesn't pay time and half?
MindLost is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 10:55 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Are you talking about overtime not being offered when it clearly is there, or you are working more than 40+ hours a week or more than 8hrs a day (depending on state law)?
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Look into your state labor laws, and contact the labor board if your employer is breaking your state's law.
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
GAN (04-27-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2017, 11:00 PM   #4

I am referring to working more than 40 hours a week, but instead of getting paid over time I get paid my regular hourly wage. Example - My time card shows that I worked 60 hours, but my paycheck shows that I only worked 48 hours.

I am full aware that I could file with the labor board, but I am just curious how much money he is actually saving by paying straight time. I mean I know that for every hour that I am working past 40 that I am literally paying him my over time, but I am more curious how not paying me over time saves him in other ways that only a business owner would know.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm lost on that math!

I'd contact the labor board, or whatever it's called where you are.

I charge customers extra for nights/weekends/holidays, no reason an employee shouldn't have the same compensation.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:18 PM   #6

Ok...

Say I make 30 dollars an hour. I have 60 hours worked in 1 week. I would be sitting at 900 dollars in over time pay. My time card would show 60 hours.

Now when I get my pay check it shows 53.33 hours. Essentially my over time hours are being multiplied by my current hourly wage, and then divided by my OT hourly wage, which results in me not receiving my OT.

(hours worked past 40 * Hourly wage) / (Hourly wage * .5 + Hourly wage)

My thread is only asking in what other ways is not paying overtime saving the company, and also as a contractor how much of a scumbag is a boss that does not pay overtime.

Basically in how many ways and I being f'd. How much of an ATM machine am I to my employer?

I am having a really hard time figuring out how to explain this so that my question is concise, but I do not have a very large vocabulary...
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #7

View Fatpat's Photo Album My Photos

If you work 60 hours in a pay period And are paid weekly it would show as:
40 hours @ $30per hour (straight time)
20 hours @ $45per hour (time and a half)

= $2100 before tax

Showing 53.5 hours on straight time makes no since for a weekly pay period

Unless your pay period is over two weeks and you worked a total of 60hours over the 14 days
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Fatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:31 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindLost View Post
Ok...

Say I make 30 dollars an hour. I have 60 hours worked in 1 week. I would be sitting at 900 dollars in over time pay. My time card would show 60 hours.

Now when I get my pay check it shows 53.33 hours. Essentially my over time hours are being multiplied by my current hourly wage, and then divided by my OT hourly wage, which results in me not receiving my OT.

(hours worked past 20 * Hourly wage) / (Hourly wage * .5 + Hourly wage)

My thread is only asking in what other ways is not paying overtime saving the company, and also as a contractor how much of a scumbag is a boss that does not pay overtime.

If what you say is true, collect your evidence spanning as far back as you can and burn your current employer. You don't like plumbing, honestly my passion is drain cleaning over plumbing, but it's part of my current situation.

Think about it this way. Your employer pays you based on your skill and your time. Both are worth $. When one outweighs the other more compensation is due.

I'm NOT a union minded person by any means, but I've worked for bad employers that took advantage of my skill set and time before.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:52 PM   #9

Ok not sure if you're trolling me, or what here man....

7 day work week you work 60 hours. Seven calendar days. Normal stuff, 1 week, 1 full work week. Normal pay period. 60 hours....

At 30 dollars an hour

40 hours at $30.00 dollars an hour equals (=) $1200.00
20 hours at $45.00 dollars an hour equals (=) $900.00 <--- The overtime pay. Time and a half. Anything past 40, etc....
Check total with regular hours plus (+) overtime hours would equal (=) $2100.00

OK now here is where it gets tricky......

If you take my 20 hours of overtime. Multiply 20 hours of over time BY $30.00 dollars an hour you get $600.00 dollars..

You then take the $600.00 dollars, and divide it by $45.00

( $30.00 dollars times (X)(*) .5 = 15 <---- $15.00 dollars. Now add that $15.00 dollars which is half of my regular wage to my regular wage makes it $45.00 dollars an hour. I.E - $45.00 is time and a half if you're paid $30.00 dollars an hour)

It equals (=) 13.333333333333333 <----- That is my 20 hours of over time, converted into straight pay, but looks as if I am being paid overtime, but in fact I am being paid straight time.

Now my 60 hour work week, which we have established / confirmed / reread above ^ has been changed from 60 Hours to 53.33 Hours....

My paycheck for a 60 hour week, 60 hours on my time card, is actually 53.33 hours on my pay check stub. Essentially my over time has been converted to straight time, BUT it looks as if I was paid overtime on my pay check stub...
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
If what you say is true, collect your evidence spanning as far back as you can and burn your current employer. You don't like plumbing, honestly my passion is drain cleaning over plumbing, but it's part of my current situation.

Think about it this way. Your employer pays you based on your skill and your time. Both are worth $. When one outweighs the other more compensation is due.

I'm NOT a union minded person by any means, but I've worked for bad employers that took advantage of my skill set and time before.
Nah man I agreed to it years ago. I wouldn't burn someone after we made a gentlemens agreement. I only stay where I am at because I feel that we do much better work than any other company that I have ever seen, and I have 0 issues telling hack plumbing companies to eat shlit, to the bosses face as I hand him his truck keys and tell him he can bust up floors because his guys cant read a tape...... I am a plumber, I am not a concrete worker.

I just wanted to know in what other ways I am saving the company money by not being paid overtime... There has to be more savings to the company than just $15.00 dollars an hour...