Stock - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree10Likes

Old 05-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #1

View czplumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default Stock

How much material do you guys stock. I try and keep up with having every thing on the shelf for the guys to grab but not every thing we need all the time is needed. I buy from a big supplier so I don't have to get it from a local supplier because its double the cost . am I crazy for stock piling or will it pay off in the long run?
czplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by czplumbing View Post
How much material do you guys stock. I try and keep up with having every thing on the shelf for the guys to grab but not every thing we need all the time is needed. I buy from a big supplier so I don't have to get it from a local supplier because its double the cost . am I crazy for stock piling or will it pay off in the long run?

Of course having parts on hand saves you time and money. This will also allow you to buy when prices are low or you find a deal. That will pay off in the long run.

Be careful with plastic fittings though, they get brittle over a couple years. I had a double wye sitting horizontal in a ceiling of a finished basement break on me when I was snaking the line. Diluted sewage poured into the ceiling and walls. We installed it less than a year prior. When I opened the ceiling to fix the issue the double wye had obviously been sitting in sunlight in the supply house for a long time. Granted it shouldn't have been horizontal either.

For 80+ years we kept everything in stock at our shop. I say shop but it's basically a warehouse where half is shelving for parts. I guess tax wise we had to pay taxes on our stock every year because it is counted as an asset just like a vehicle or property. So like 6 years ago we built a supply house next door so now our shelves only really have special order items that take a while to get in and some wolverine brass parts that are just better than what we would get at the supply house.

We went through a period where we purged a lot of stock. Our parts person washed and cleaned the shelf wear/oxide from 600$ worth of copper sweat fittings so we could "return" them to the supply house for credit.

When you get a call late saturday night for an important customer and it ends up being a very common part you can be the hero fixing it now while everyone sleeps versus making them wait until the supply house opens monday morning. Some people have more money than time and would gladly buy yours for a fat rate, can't sell it to them if your sitting on your hands with no parts.

We have a key and code to the supply house so even in emergencies we can get what we need. I am guessing you don't have that luxury. If the tax man doesn't get into your "assets" then I say stock whatever you commonly use.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Quote:

Of course having parts on hand saves you time and money. This will also allow you to buy when prices are low or you find a deal. That will pay off in the long run.

Be careful with plastic fittings though, they get brittle over a couple years. I had a double wye sitting horizontal in a ceiling of a finished basement break on me when I was snaking the line. Diluted sewage poured into the ceiling and walls. We installed it less than a year prior. When I opened the ceiling to fix the issue the double wye had obviously been sitting in sunlight in the supply house for a long time. Granted it shouldn't have been horizontal either.

For 80+ years we kept everything in stock at our shop. I say shop but it's basically a warehouse where half is shelving for parts. I guess tax wise we had to pay taxes on our stock every year because it is counted as an asset just like a vehicle or property. So like 6 years ago we built a supply house next door so now our shelves only really have special order items that take a while to get in and some wolverine brass parts that are just better than what we would get at the supply house.

We went through a period where we purged a lot of stock. Our parts person washed and cleaned the shelf wear/oxide from 600$ worth of copper sweat fittings so we could "return" them to the supply house for credit.

When you get a call late saturday night for an important customer and it ends up being a very common part you can be the hero fixing it now while everyone sleeps versus making them wait until the supply house opens monday morning. Some people have more money than time and would gladly buy yours for a fat rate, can't sell it to them if your sitting on your hands with no parts.

We have a key and code to the supply house so even in emergencies we can get what we need. I am guessing you don't have that luxury. If the tax man doesn't get into your "assets" then I say stock whatever you commonly use.

Little off topic but i find it funny how somthing so simple as a use of a fitting is allowed in one place an not the other.
My code book doesnt allow me to put a double wye on the horizontal but in another area code the laws of physics are different.

But back on topic i think a big part is also where your working. Im in a 300,000 population city so i dont fight with 2 hours of traffic to swap a toilet. I can go to the wholesaler get a few things go to the job an still have time for a coffee befour my 1h min billing time runs out.

Guys in toronto, new york etc. Im sure it makes more sense to jam pack a van with every most common fitting/ parts we can think of.

Company i work for doesnt like seeing packing slips that say " van stock" which irritates me.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Little off topic but i find it funny how somthing so simple as a use of a fitting is allowed in one place an not the other.
My code book doesnt allow me to put a double wye on the horizontal but in another area code the laws of physics are different.

But back on topic i think a big part is also where your working. Im in a 300,000 population city so i dont fight with 2 hours of traffic to swap a toilet. I can go to the wholesaler get a few things go to the job an still have time for a coffee befour my 1h min billing time runs out.

Guys in toronto, new york etc. Im sure it makes more sense to jam pack a van with every most common fitting/ parts we can think of.

Company i work for doesnt like seeing packing slips that say " van stock" which irritates me.

Just because I said we put it in doesn't mean it's not against code. I specifically said the double wye shouldn't have been horizontal. Our inspectors are good with the normal stuff but double wyes and other rare fittings they don't bother trying to figure out. They also give us the benefit of the doubt because several of our owners have been plumbing longer than they have been alive.

After the drywall was torn off I ran all three, three inch lines to the wall, 90'd down, and then stacked two normal wyes.

Our shop is pretty lenient on van stock, we can all stock pretty much as we see fit and we all are pretty well stocked. It's a pain to be 30mins from cell service with no landline and need a part. Also, our customers expect us to be able to fix something the first time we show up. We install specific models of plumbing and heating appliances so we can limit the repair parts we will need to carry. For example, almost all of the tankless we install are veismann.

It also helps that the nearest supply house exists because of us and carry what we want them to. This means even the smaller companies end up installing the stuff we want because that is what they can get easily. For instance, many of the smaller companies used uponor until the supply house decided to carry pex stuff, when they made that decision they asked what we wanted and we had decided on viega, ipso facto all the small guys got viega tools and started installing it more often. We recently decided to switch to uponor, this will be interesting but mostly a pain for me as a service guy. One more tool box and box of fittings to stock in the van.

Annoyingly for me one of the few things they insist we don't carry is faucets/shower valves. I would love to be able to carry a chrome, single handle, moen 1200 series with separate sprayer, I would sell soooooo many. Pisses me off they stopped making the 8710. Those new ceramic cartridges don't hold the plates together tight enough and they don't always hold, especially if there is some sediment.

The only thing I can remember being told I have to carry is a zoeller m53 which I gladly do most of the time anyway it just got pushed on me a little early this year. My one manager doesn't want us to carry sloan stuff but I carry the h-553 orings, and a couple vacuum breakers. I hate taking a sloan valve apart to snake a line and then not having those two items for when it inevitably leak. usually in that situation i am at one of the schools and they have parts anyway but it still looks so pathetic.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #5
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I keep my box trucks stocked with about everything I could ever need and most times if I dont have it on board, I can improvise somehow and get by.....Its wise to have everything on the trucks....

we used to keep our building stocked to the gills when we had 6 trucks and a bunch of flunkies working for us, but it seemed that you cannot control the stealing and materials simply grow feet and walk off the premises... one roll of solder at a time.... one delta 1700 faucet at a time, one zoeller sump pump at a time....

it is a ***** to keep an eye on all this material so in the long run it makes good sense to stock up if you have eyes in the back of your head......

if you notice at most supply houses these days that they keep the 20 dollar sharkbite ball valves and other expensive brass ball valves locked up and not laying out in bins for anyone to grab.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #6

I stock like 6 big orange flappers and a like 4-6 fluidmaster fill valves, a mix of the universal and standards. And what kills me is that some days I still run out. It's really killer when the chain isn't long enough and you're wasting a flapper just for the chain.

Darn near everyday I fill out an order form even if it's just a handful of items and I restock each small item I use each day from the shop when I can. If not it goes on my small clip board in the van. Some times I start an order form and leave it on my normal clipboard but then I risk losing it and I will never remember those two items I wrote down the day before until I need them and I don't have cell service.

Like today, I only used a small number of items. A 1/4" brass hex plug was the only one I had to order to replace. It was the only one on my van. The others I had were the rough cast square knob kind and they wouldn't work. It was for a hole in the casing of a goulds J5 jet pump and the threads were tapped out. The square ones would just go all the way through. With the hex plug the teflon tape bunched up and sealed fine. The problem is going to be when the supply house sends me the cheaper ones and then I have to argue with someone or try to remember to stop at each hardware store looking for one so I have it for next time.

Really pisses me off when they substitute parts like that, I hate that schit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #7

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

I keep my box trucks stocked with about everything I could ever need and most times if I dont have it on board, I can improvise somehow and get by.....Its wise to have everything on the trucks....

we used to keep our building stocked to the gills when we had 6 trucks and a bunch of flunkies working for us, but it seemed that you cannot control the stealing and materials simply grow feet and walk off the premises... one roll of solder at a time.... one delta 1700 faucet at a time, one zoeller sump pump at a time....

it is a ***** to keep an eye on all this material so in the long run it makes good sense to stock up if you have eyes in the back of your head......

if you notice at most supply houses these days that they keep the 20 dollar sharkbite ball valves and other expensive brass ball valves locked up and not laying out in bins for anyone to grab.......

I simply cannot imagine stealing from an employer. If I needed something out of the shop I always asked my boss first if he had an immediate need for it, and then when I was finished with whatever I was fixing at home, i'd turn in an inventory for it just like every other job I did.

The sad thing about my old boss was that his dad was the thief. Come into the shop pack up enough material to rough in a 2 bath house, and then cash out the entire job.

Wonder why my boss was going broke at the end? I'm sure it was something to do with paying me.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wonder why my boss was going broke at the end? I'm sure it was something to do with paying me.
Is he still in business? Did he hire a sucker?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Is he still in business? Did he hire a sucker?

I would but I'm married.

ShtRnsdownhill likes this.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #10
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I would but I'm married.

What are you talking about??
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote