Rodents and Pipes - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

Old 05-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rodents and Pipes

Well boys, we are going down the rabbit hole. Today the supply house gave us four cordless expanders and 3 rolls of pex for free. We are switching from fostapex and bronze fittings to expanding pex with plastic fittings on our newcon.

I can't wait to see what happens the second or third time we get a rodent chewing through a pipe.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Well boys, we are going down the rabbit hole. Today the supply house gave us four cordless expanders and 3 rolls of pex for free. We are switching from fostapex and bronze fittings to expanding pex with plastic fittings on our newcon.

I can't wait to see what happens the second or third time we get a rodent chewing through a pipe.

A supply house guy was telling me he knew a plumber that would sell the rodent resistant upgrade. He would sleeve 1/2” pex in 3/4” alumaflex and 3/4” pex in 1”
Attached Thumbnails
Rodents and Pipes-0691f859-e70f-40a2-861a-d4208b435f41.jpg  

Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Here you go, this last fall. Poly B pipe, the mice didn't chew the pipe because they like the taste. They chewed the pipe and the cabinet to go through the cabinet hole.... The mice were having a party in the kids drop ceiling under the kitchen. Mouse poop all over, I could of filled a small bucket. Lots of tunnels inside the fiberglass insulation.

That's where I saw the exterminator bill. Those a$$holes are unscrupulous bandits.
Attached Thumbnails
Rodents and Pipes-rodent-4-.jpg  

mtfallsmikey and chonkie like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-05-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2019, 12:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Here you go, this last fall. Poly B pipe, the mice didn't chew the pipe because they like the taste. They chewed the pipe and the cabinet to go through the cabinet hole.... The mice were having a party in the kids drop ceiling under the kitchen. Mouse poop all over, I could of filled a small bucket. Lots of tunnels inside the fiberglass insulation.

That's where I saw the exterminator bill. Those a$$holes are unscrupulous bandits.

I have had several service calls where the leak was mice holes. Including one at my own house!! Luckily only one of the calls was stuff we put in and that bathroom was supposed to be temporary.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 05-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #5

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

People do not realize that the mouse baits with the poison de-hydrate the mice while the rodents are dying. That is why they gnaw through the pipes; they are desperately searching for water.

I had a customer who lived in a double-wide MH out in a rural area with livestock and forest all around her place. She threw mouse baits all around. She had {3} water piping leaks. I kept getting called back to make repairs.

I told her to set the old-fashioned style mouse traps, just keep them away from the dogs and other pets.
Gargalaxy and OpenSights like this.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post
People do not realize that the mouse baits with the poison de-hydrate the mice while the rodents are dying. That is why they gnaw through the pipes; they are desperately searching for water.

I had a customer who lived in a double-wide MH out in a rural area with livestock and forest all around her place. She threw mouse baits all around. She had {3} water piping leaks. I kept getting called back to make repairs.

I told her to set the old-fashioned style mouse traps, just keep them away from the dogs and other pets.

At least for my area I have to disagree. All of the mouse holes I have found were from them trying to get by the pipe. I have heard the theory that they hear the water inside but I have yet to see evidence of that.

Granted most of the basements here have other sources of water like leaks in the foundation they wouldn't have to chew for.

I think it's pretty dumb we will be switching to wirsbo pipe. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just we have used fostapex for like 6 years now and will still need to carry that stuff on the van for service. We all still have sweat fittings on the vans!!

Propress, sweat, viega, threaded, now wirsbo too?!?! And they have yet to buy us high boy vans!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 AM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy plumber View Post

I dont think the search for water is the cause for rodent damage to pex....more likely the smell of the pipe....many manufactures of wire for automobiles have started using some plant based material and the rodents love it, so they chew up the wiring in your car like crazy, even the new romex for houses may have this, but not sure..
when I gutted my house upstate it had a mix of romex( made 20 years ago) and the old cloth covered wiring, almost all of the cloth covering was eaten off and bare copper wires were behind the walls, none of the older romex was touched by mice...they eat by smell not sound....
the only thing I have seen munch on romex exposed outdoors are the dam squirrels .....
Tommy plumber (05-07-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
I dont think the search for water is the cause for rodent damage to pex....more likely the smell of the pipe....many manufactures of wire for automobiles have started using some plant based material and the rodents love it, so they chew up the wiring in your car like crazy, even the new romex for houses may have this, but not sure..
when I gutted my house upstate it had a mix of romex( made 20 years ago) and the old cloth covered wiring, almost all of the cloth covering was eaten off and bare copper wires were behind the walls, none of the older romex was touched by mice...they eat by smell not sound....
the only thing I have seen munch on romex exposed outdoors are the dam squirrels .....

Maybe they were going after the cloth covering for their nests.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Maybe they were going after the cloth covering for their nests.

I dont think they ate it but they chewed the wires clean, found a few that musta made contact between the hot and neutral..crispy critters..
Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 AM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
Since this is a thread drift now, here’s a picture of 24 volt air conditioning condenser wires the little *******s chewed through. You can see the teeth marks in the copper.
Attached Thumbnails
Rodents and Pipes-78c6e8b0-3ff1-4f93-acd2-6de30fc68072.jpg  

Rodents and Pipes-f021782f-4691-446b-9c21-3e3bb9e60a58.jpg  

Gargalaxy, chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote