Raise Floor Cleanout Cover - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 10:31 PM   #1

View TC27's Photo Album My Photos
Default Raise Floor Cleanout Cover

Installed Smith cleanouts in a building, got sent to help out another job while concrete was poured, and now 2 of the cleanouts are low. They are roughly 1/4" low and it's to be polished, stained concrete. Jackhammering is out of the question. Any other ideas to raise the lids 1/4"?
TC27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
Certified Lunatic

View Redwood's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to Redwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC27 View Post
Installed Smith cleanouts in a building, got sent to help out another job while concrete was poured, and now 2 of the cleanouts are low. They are roughly 1/4" low and it's to be polished, stained concrete. Jackhammering is out of the question. Any other ideas to raise the lids 1/4"?
I'll just call it a good lesson on being there for the pour...

Getting them to the right height now without jackhammering is probably out of the question...

Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #3

View plumber tom's Photo Album My Photos

I have seen brass extension rings used with longer screws; unfortunately I can't remember what supplier. If you're really stuck, maybe double up on the lids.
plumber tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #4
Certified Lunatic

Maybe cut around it with a Roto-Zip and a masonry bit, then try tapping it around to spin it up to the right height...

If you are lucky, and get it right, the screw up will only be the width of the bit...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
chonkie (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 06:02 AM   #5

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

Pick up some longer screws and some small washers. Stack the washers over the screw holes until you get it up to the height you need and put the cover back on. I've had to do it before when they say they are going to use vct but there is ceramic tiles on the floor when you show up for the finish. Works with floor drain covers too.
bct p&h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bct p&h For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 10:45 AM   #6

View Workhorseplmg's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct p&h
Pick up some longer screws and some small washers. Stack the washers over the screw holes until you get it up to the height you need and put the cover back on. I've had to do it before when they say they are going to use vct but there is ceramic tiles on the floor when you show up for the finish. Works with floor drain covers too.
I've done this before also with 1/2 copper pipe for shims, works great.
Workhorseplmg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Workhorseplmg For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
Certified Lunatic

The problem with stacking covers, or placing washers or other spacers under the the covers is that it raises the cover up out of the the recess. The recess is what gives the cover the strength to stay in place when hit by wheeled traffic, floor cleaning machines, etc. Every time a mop comes by the cleaning staff will have their mop strings get caught in it, and with heavy wheeled traffic the screws will easily shear with the cover coming loose...

I guess it's fine if you only do new construction and the customer is a one and done...

But if they have another building or you do service work, you'll be cursed by the building inhabitants forever...

I'd cut around it with the Roto Zip and fix it as good as you can...

Just my 2˘

Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redwood For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (12-01-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

View Flyout95's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood View Post
The problem with stacking covers, or placing washers or other spacers under the the covers is that it raises the cover up out of the the recess. The recess is what gives the cover the strength to stay in place when hit by wheeled traffic, floor cleaning machines, etc. Every time a mop comes by the cleaning staff will have their mop strings get caught in it, and with heavy wheeled traffic the screws will easily shear with the cover coming loose...

I guess it's fine if you only do new construction and the customer is a one and done...

But if they have another building or you do service work, you'll be cursed by the building inhabitants forever...

I'd cut around it with the Roto Zip and fix it as good as you can...

Just my 2˘
Agreed. They"ll have that smashed up in no time and your phone will be ringing.
Flyout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flyout95 For This Useful Post:
Redwood (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #9

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

Are the CO's Zurn, Smith, Josam or Wade? If so, they are made to screw up and down and generally have a foam cushion around the sides of the top. If that is the case, and conctrete hasn't gotten into the threads, you should be able to remove the lid and adjust the body. I've been told a little gasoline will dissolve the form if it bunches up.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #10

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

I've never had a cover raised up that way be a problem. If it is possible, your way is the better way to do it. I was giving him another option that I know works.
bct p&h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bct p&h For This Useful Post:
justme (10-16-2015), Workhorseplmg (10-16-2015)