Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum banner

Pro press

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PlumbdogTim 
#1 ·
My first experiance with pro press today with 2" copper. Honestly id rather solder. The damm tool weighs 50 pounds and trying to get it in all the nooks an crannies on a 12' ladder and crawling on conduit is a pain. Plus i think sweat joints look better.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I’ve used a pro press a few times working with other people that had them - it can help a lot of times to build anything halfway complicated or anything that will be close to a stud or other obstruction in advance before you actually put it in place - sometimes too replacing an extra foot of pipe can have your connection now be in a place that’s easier to press. If it’s something simple and accessible it really can be much faster to press, and my favorite plus for pro press is not having to worry (other than getting a bucket) about a valve that doesn’t quite shut off all the way keeping you from being able to solder.

#10 ·
Good advice from exclamation. I love propress, but it just takes a little thinking ahead to keep yourself out of jams. One trick is always pre-pressing the outlet side of a tee before installing. It's always awkward trying to get your jaws on that joint after the tee is placed inline.

Another thing is that you want to tighten any threaded joints before pressing. I'm not sure if it really matters, but if you put a lot of strain on a propress joint it will make a looser connection and you will be able to wiggle or even twist the pipe in the joint. That's why I usually make sure I sweat any adaptors and hold back up when threading. It just makes a more solid connection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.