Plumbing apprentice (on and off)? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 02-21-2017, 04:23 PM   #1

View yacht's Photo Album My Photos
Default Plumbing apprentice (on and off)?

Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I'm seeking out help with regards to my current apprenticeship with my employer.

I am a 20 year old male and I work as an apprentice plumber however I recently decided I wanted to get a university degree. The program I am interested in requires a lot of work and I won't be able to juggle that and my plumbing job at the same time during school time from September to mid-April. I would like to eventually become a master plumber but that requires 5 years of apprenticeship so I was wondering if it's even possible to do that in 4 month increments until I get my university degree or if my employer would even accept that. I haven't told him about this yet because he is fairly strict and has a short temper so if any employers or anyone else would like to give their input it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
yacht is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yacht For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (02-21-2017)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #2

View ace4548's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on your state. I would assume it would be fine as long as you met all the state requirements for hours worked. Typically around 8000, day school hours, and night school hours. It wouldn't be possible in my state of Wisconsin to do that going part time. There is one other way to obtain a masters in my state. That is to get a 4 year engineering degree approved by the state, then you can write your masters test.. Talking to my plumbing instructor, who has been doing this for 20 years, he had one person actually succeed at this.

All depends on your state. And if your employer allows it. Also if your goal is to become a master plumber, why get the 4 year education?

And you also should post an actual intro as per site rules.
ace4548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM   #3
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Go to college first...and foremost.
maybe College is not for everybody but once you get your degree in whatever your dream is , you can always go out and dig ditches and sling **** for someone at 27 years old....It will still be there waiting for you but you will be a lot smarter and wiser by then...

If the boss wont let you work part time, I would look at it as a blessing because even when you are in your 30s with a Masters Lisc, and have no college degree, you will still be dealing with pricks like him...

go to college

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
GAN (02-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #4
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

In Illinois once registered as an apprentice, you have 6 years to complete 6,000 hours and pass the exam. If you run out of time (the 6 years) but have the hours in, you can take the test multiple times until you pass, but you can't work in the field until you pass.

So part time apprenticeships are not a good thing.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos

[QUOTE=yacht;1067345]Hello, this is my first post on this forum and I'm seeking out help with regards to my current apprenticeship with my employer.

I am a 20 year old male and I work as an apprentice plumber however I recently decided I wanted to get a university degree. The program I am interested in requires a lot of work <SNIP>

You have my curosity aroused ... What kind of program are you interested in. Does it have any thing to do with plumbing, HVAC or enginering?
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:06 PM   #6

View yacht's Photo Album My Photos

@PLUMBER_BILL

Currently it's either Mechanical engineering or Civil engineering. They told me I can switch from one to the other after my first year if I change my mind.
yacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #7

View MDservices's Photo Album My Photos

Hey, I went to university before I ever got into plumbing and heating... it was a good experience but the opportunities in the plumbing and heating // construction field are immense!

I think I can speak for a lot of plumbers when I say that I'm constantly correcting errors that engineers and architects do.

Maybe I'm biased but I think our society has been pushing for "higher education" as some kind of miracle "escape" from poverty or "escape from low class" and that's the wrong type of mentality to have. Even now that I own my own business, I still sign up and do courses on the weekends or get suppliers to give me a course on certain products, I'm always learning! Is that considered "higher education"? Nope.

Shouldn't be looking at university as an escape, or the trades as a cop-out. If you haven't figured out what you want, university is a great place to spend 5-6 years figuring out what you actually want... if you know what you want already, whether that's being an engineer, lawyer or plumber, do it and don't hesitate! Don't start dipping into too many different things or keeping plumbing as a "back up"... It can be good money but so can owning a convenient store... it's what interests you and compels you.

Very few 20 year olds know EXACTLY what they want to do but I also feel this has a lot to do with highschool as many highschools, at least where I'm from, really push you towards "higher education". You HAVE to go to university... I've been, it was fun, but it was years learning about a bunch of stuff that I could have simply learned while ON the job in the field that I studied in. Too much focus on a piece of paper with not actual merrit in work.

Whatever you choose, do it 100%. If you're going into engineering, don't spend your time plumbing and worrying about grades... If you want to be a plumbing and you want to do more technical stuff, maybe steam or heating, there's a lot of plumbers out there who do all the calculations, the math, the flowrates, the sizing etc etc on heating systems and the likes, it's a great hybrid of technical and hands on... the days go by quick. I have a lot of engineering friends and many like their job but they're mostly at a desk and their favourite part of the job is twice a month they get to put a hard hat on and go on site...

just saying, try to put things in perspective, think long term and focus on what you want and where you want to go.
MDservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #8

View MDservices's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacht View Post
@PLUMBER_BILL

Currently it's either Mechanical engineering or Civil engineering. They told me I can switch from one to the other after my first year if I change my mind.
Also, choose mechanical... civil engineering isn't as respected by other engineers, no idea why... also the pay is less and the field is more narrow. Just saying.
MDservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #9

View Dpeckplb's Photo Album My Photos

I did part time apprenticeship for 3.5 years. We really only worked for three general contractors. they would start their foundations as soon as the winter heat was taken from the cement. So we were done by mid May. I however didn't go to university, I just spent the summer working for the public works. They actually counted some hours when I was helping the water dept. It can be done with the right employer.
Dpeckplb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 01:43 AM   #10

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Forget college and learn plumbing. The trades are the greatest way to make a living. Desk job =start at 8, maybe it's getting close to my 10:00 break, damn it's only 8:36. Plumbing = start at 7, holy crap it's 3:00 already.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote