Pex confusion - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree6Likes

Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #1
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default Pex confusion

Still having trouble sorting out the differences between pex types and brand names. Internet searches and talking to several masters still haven't come up with a clear answer.

Can anyone write a simple outline to help distinguish which pex can be used with expansion rings, and which for cinch or crimp rings? Some companies have clearly marked designations on their tubing, which says Pex-A for example. Others have their proprietary codes which seem a mystery unless you know how to decode it, and/or print that is too small or too faint to read.

It was easier when I was working new construction. I just used what they gave me, with whatever connection methods they provided and left the thinking to them.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 10:40 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeswiththeflow View Post
Still having trouble sorting out the differences between pex types and brand names. Internet searches and talking to several masters still haven't come up with a clear answer.

Can anyone write a simple outline to help distinguish which pex can be used with expansion rings, and which for cinch or crimp rings? Some companies have clearly marked designations on their tubing, which says Pex-A for example. Others have their proprietary codes which seem a mystery unless you know how to decode it, and/or print that is too small or too faint to read.

It was easier when I was working new construction. I just used what they gave me, with whatever connection methods they provided and left the thinking to them.

ok ill try....
in its simplistic explanation there are 3 types of pex...2 types of crimp( that includes pex al pex) and then you have expandable pex
the 2 types of crimp..
regular crimp pex can be crimped with either crimp rings of copper or the cinch type made of stainless steel
the pex al pex that has the aluminum layer in it has its own special crimp ends to be used....

then you have expandable pex where you stretch it out and insert the fitting and the pex tightens back up around it....

that I believe is the simple explanation of the different pexes....

and the difference for pex for heating is that it has an oxygen barrier but crimps or expands as above....
Tango and powellmatthew76 like this.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:42 AM   #3

Tango likes this.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

pex A and pex B..the best comparison is they have different grades of copper, yes all type L..but one type was or still is called bending copper, it was softer and wouldnt crack in copper benders but more expensive, and then straight type L copper less expensive but cracks in copper benders....both types worked just fine but it was personal preference on what you wanted..
Old 02-02-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
3rd year apprentice

Excellent, thank you. That narrows it down for me quite a bit. Don't know how I haven't run across that video.

The only problem now is getting the supply house guys to understand. When I ask for pex A some of them are confused and only know brand names. When I ask for expandable pex, some will still ask what I mean by brand. More of the sill cock and hose bib language barrier syndrome.
ShtRnsdownhill and Tango like this.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Excellent, thank you. That narrows it down for me quite a bit. Don't know how I haven't run across that video.

The only problem now is getting the supply house guys to understand. When I ask for pex A some of them are confused and only know brand names. When I ask for expandable pex, some will still ask what I mean by brand. More of the sill cock and hose bib language barrier syndrome.

I use pex B with copper crimp rings and have had no issues with work-ability( if cold its like a frozen garden hose) or quality failures...other than the bad crimp in a bad position and thats my fault...
I have bought both coiled pex( for long runs) and 20 ft straight pieces( if you want perfectly straight pipes in an exposed basement or area)....I dont buy the brand I buy for the use and if you have a counter person that doesnt know, you end up frustrated and aggravated trying to explain it to them...
Tango likes this.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:27 PM   #7

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Pex A is expandable as well as you can use crimp style fittings and rings or clamps wirsbo,uponor, aquapex, rehau (rehau uses a expansion as well as a sleeve for thier system) very flexible

Pex b is crimp only also noticable is that its stiffer.. the depot or big box stores usually sell this stuff.. watts,sharkbite, tons of brands

Pex C is Pex-Al-pex.. special connection fittings like a compression fitting.. is stiff but bendable and stays in position bent in.. used in heating and was used in potable water but is now part of a class action lawsuit for a certain company with brand name (kitec)....
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Venomthirst For This Useful Post:
goeswiththeflow (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
3rd year apprentice

I should mention that I don't do heating, so just concerned with A and B at this point.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #9
3rd year apprentice

Quote:
if you have a counter person that doesnt know, you end up frustrated and aggravated trying to explain it to them..
That right there. I try to hide it especially at one house becuase they are generally good and I'll need them for other things in the future.

Boss doesn't prefer it, but tolerates me using only sticks whenever I can. I hate fighting with the coils, even if it's not going to be exposed.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
I should mention that I don't do heating, so just concerned with A and B at this point.

both A and B can be used for heating but MUST have an oxygen barrier..usually the heat pex has a very shiny finish but is not always the case, heat pex is printed with the info of having an oxygen barrier for heat..