New Company next week - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 02-19-2016, 09:56 PM   #1

View ace4548's Photo Album My Photos
Default New Company next week

Just got laid off on Thursday. Worked for the smallest company in our local. The ship is starting to sink, he only has 2 journeyman left and his son as the shop hand .
I got picked up by one of the biggest plumbing contractors in our local, and state. Start Monday doing a big cast iron job at an office tower.
Haven't done a lot of cast, maybe a couple hundred feet, just hope not to mess up to bad.

Any advice on moving to big companies from a small one, and cast iron tips for someone rusty would be appreciated.
ace4548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

be humble, and if you dont know, ask and learn we all do it..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
GAN (02-23-2016), marc76075 (02-21-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #3

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

What types of joints on cast? Best advise, safety, work smart, and plenty of hangers.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Congrats on the new job
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #5

View ace4548's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks guys.Im pretty excited, I'll get a lot more actual plumbing experience. Mostly fitter work and HVAC at my last place.

Pretty sure it's just no hub cast. We don't really pour joints in Wisconsin unless it's service work. And even then, not very often. We pour a couple in night school and that's it.
ace4548 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ace4548 For This Useful Post:
plumbdrum (02-19-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 01:19 AM   #6

View doglover44's Photo Album My Photos

Congrads keep us updated
doglover44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doglover44 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2016, 07:31 AM   #7

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

2 band clamps, hold the metal clamp together with your index finger and thumb while you tighten. Make sure before you tighten it that the metal and rubber are lined up together and the metal band is straight. Snug one side, then the other. Alternate tightening a little at a time. If you do all that the clamp won't be bunched up or become crooked on the rubber.
4 band clamps, make sure it's lined up, start by tightening the two middle clamps then the outside ones. Once it's snug, alternate the band's a little at a time.
I usually put all the band's facing the same way and have all the letters lined up. The letters are getting a little harder to line up and still have the pipe look good. The crap they have been sending out lately seems to be bowed in one direction or another. Doesn't matter if it's Charlotte or Tyler. I refuse to buy imported cast, that stuff crumbles and I have seen a lot of sand holes in it.
bct p&h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bct p&h For This Useful Post:
GAN (02-23-2016), plumbdrum (02-20-2016), sparky (02-21-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 07:37 AM   #8

View bct p&h's Photo Album My Photos

Like plumbdrum said, use lots of hangers. Also, stand back and look at what you're doing every so often. It doesn't take much for your fitting to be a little off and it's easier to straighten out before you get too many things tied into it.
bct p&h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bct p&h For This Useful Post:
plumbdrum (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 AM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace4548 View Post
Thanks guys.Im pretty excited, I'll get a lot more actual plumbing experience. Mostly fitter work and HVAC at my last place.

Pretty sure it's just no hub cast. We don't really pour joints in Wisconsin unless it's service work. And even then, not very often. We pour a couple in night school and that's it.
did you ever hear of tight seals? aka rubber gaskets for hubed cast iron..the fun starts on 6 inch getting them together,,,,
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:54 AM   #10

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

On hi rise building jobs this stuff is gold:
Attached Images

dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
sparky (02-21-2016)