Never mess with a SMITH dip tube.... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree85Likes

Old 12-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default Never mess with a SMITH dip tube....

maybe everyone knows about this already but I did not and found out the hard way...... Smith dip tubes are extra special and you basically
have to have that exact replacement part....

I had a 2 year old SMith electric water heater leaking at the corroded nipple on top of the unit..... It has a brass mixing valve on it and it would not stop leaking no matter what I did.....

I cut the line thinking I would install a new dip tube on the heater but to my surprise and horror the stupid diptube nipple was over 6 inches long and buried deep down in about 5 inches of Styrofoam....

the dip tube I had only had about a 3 inch nipple on it..... so I was in trouble... with no supply house within 30 miles

I had that exact size dialectric nipple in my truck and it turned out that the plastic dip tube literally fit perfectly tight into the inside of that pipe.....so I basically made a dip tube by combining both together and ramming and glueing the plastic tube up into the bottom side of the nipple

I thought I had won and tried to put this all back together but the new tube was too large to go into the heater...... for some reason the dumbasses at SMIITH decided to make their dip tubes about 1/8 smaller than all normal dip tubes on the market....and they had a stopper built into the bottom of the threaded shank preventing anything bigger to go through the hole.

I had to take a long sharp chisel and literally nip away at the metal lip 6 inches down that was preventing me from getting that tube down into the heater......

I finally won for better or worse...... and put the whole thing back together.. I am pretty sure it did not damage the heater...

I have been carrying around my standard common sized dip tubes for probably 5 years in my truck and have never, ever needed one until I stumbled into this mess TODAY...
so this was a learning experience I dont want to repeat

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e9DzUnpWB5grM8W59

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (12-03-2019), OpenSights (12-03-2019), skoronesa (12-03-2019), sparky (12-09-2019), Tommy plumber (12-11-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Good to know! Thanks Mark! I hate how Smith does stuff like that....
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #3
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Back in April 1998 A.O. Smith and other WH manufactures purchased dip tubes from a manufacture that had a bad run of the plastic 1993 - 1997. The company I worked for were a rep for our area. There were disintegrating and the particles were plugging up aerators, dishwashers & washer. We do a lot of calls around my area. People had no idea. Many ended up having to repair or replace dishwashers & washers.

The news didn't really go public. If we were called we did a simple swap out and cleared aerators. The rest was on the home owner.

I ended up letting the local news know about it. That damaged caused should have been paid for by the manufacture if they submitted a claim.
Attached Thumbnails
Never mess with a SMITH dip tube....-bad-dip-tubes.jpg  

the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GAN For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (12-04-2019), skoronesa (12-04-2019), sparky (12-09-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #4

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I have a confession,
I have never changed a dip tube, in fact I rarely work on HWTs, unless it’s a swap out.
Then again, about 1/2 the residential water heaters in Toronto are rented from the gas companies.
$20-$30/month, which is crazy if you do the math, over the life time of the tank. They do not install or are responsible for mixing valves.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I have a confession,
I have never changed a dip tube, in fact I rarely work on HWTs, unless it’s a swap out.
Then again, about 1/2 the residential water heaters in Toronto are rented from the gas companies.
$20-$30/month, which is crazy if you do the math, over the life time of the tank. They do not install or are responsible for mixing valves.

not crazy for the profits of the gas company..people are stupid, all they look at is whats the monthly cost, not the total cost, just give them a payment plan they can afford and you can rip them off with never ending payments...
Old 12-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I never replaced a dip tube or anode and I probably never will do that because once you do you just purchased their problem, you just stepped into their forever frustration. For example customers will blame you if the smell comes back if you replace or remove the anode or blame you the water heater didn't last another 70 years.

They also presume you will now warranty their water heater. Another example, you replaced toilet tank bolts and notice it still leaks and see the porcelain is cracked. They blame you that you broke it. Same for kitchen P-traps, you fix something and the nut on the trap breaks they blame me. Never mind it so damn old and brittle. I got blamed last night and I almost went off on the guy.
sparky, skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.

Last edited by Tango; 12-04-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
sparky (12-09-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 08:20 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I have a confession,
I have never changed a dip tube, in fact I rarely work on HWTs, unless it’s a swap out. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I never replaced a dip tube or anode and I probably never will do that because once you do you just purchased their problem, you just stepped into their forever frustration. For example customers will blame you if the smell comes back if you replace or remove the anode or blame you the water heater didn't last another 70 years.

We rarely change dip tubes too. Often the steel nipple or bung will be too rusted or brittle to handle a nipple change out. I have seen at least one where we took out the drain and added a tee and just connected the cold there. Then we capped the original cold connection at the copper. It's best to change the whole heater most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
They also presume you will now warranty their water heater. Another example, you replaced toilet tank bolts and notice it still leaks and see the porcelain is cracked. They blame you that you broke it. Same for kitchen P-traps, you fix something and the nut on the trap breaks they blame me. Never mind it so damn old and brittle. I got blamed last night and I almost went off on the guy.

When I mess with trap/tubular piping under a sink I usually change everything between the bottom of the basket and the trap adapter. Often I change the basket too. I use the white poly tubular stuff. Chromed tubular brass is a thing of the past, it just don't last if it ain't cast. It doesn't have that good lead anymore which seems to help a lot with corrosion.

When I do use chromed tubular stuff it's from WB and I refuse to use the zinc nuts, only cast or machined nuts.

The WB sink baskets come with rough brass nuts on the bottom and often I don't use them because I use the poly stuff. So I have a bag of extra brass nuts for when someone needs just one.

Really it should all still be threaded cast brass traps

https://www.mcguiremfg.com/204csan-1-1/2-x-2-ips-204csan
Attached Thumbnails
Never mess with a SMITH dip tube....-mcguireptrap.jpg  

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (12-11-2019)
Old 12-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #8

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

I once shut off a water heater and commenced changing dip tube... go to turn gas valve back on... thing wouldn't fire up... had to open fire box and clean the flame sensor..

You guys are so right look at the install date 6 years or older new tank...

And now with flammable vapor sensors there is like 5-6 different valves each has a sequence to reset and sometimes it dont work anyways...

Have a had a few times something leaks and trips out on flammable vapor have to screw around with too much effort.. another company I know just changes gas valve every time a flammable vapour trips out at over 5-600 bucks a shot

When we do installs usually Bradford white though or rheem... I prefer honeywell gas valves anyday over white Rodgers or whatever else out there
sparky likes this.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Venomthirst For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (12-09-2019), sparky (12-10-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 01:38 AM   #9

View sparky's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

maybe everyone knows about this already but I did not and found out the hard way...... Smith dip tubes are extra special and you basically
have to have that exact replacement part....

I had a 2 year old SMith electric water heater leaking at the corroded nipple on top of the unit..... It has a brass mixing valve on it and it would not stop leaking no matter what I did.....

I cut the line thinking I would install a new dip tube on the heater but to my surprise and horror the stupid diptube nipple was over 6 inches long and buried deep down in about 5 inches of Styrofoam....

the dip tube I had only had about a 3 inch nipple on it..... so I was in trouble... with no supply house within 30 miles

I had that exact size dialectric nipple in my truck and it turned out that the plastic dip tube literally fit perfectly tight into the inside of that pipe.....so I basically made a dip tube by combining both together and ramming and glueing the plastic tube up into the bottom side of the nipple

I thought I had won and tried to put this all back together but the new tube was too large to go into the heater...... for some reason the dumbasses at SMIITH decided to make their dip tubes about 1/8 smaller than all normal dip tubes on the market....and they had a stopper built into the bottom of the threaded shank preventing anything bigger to go through the hole.

I had to take a long sharp chisel and literally nip away at the metal lip 6 inches down that was preventing me from getting that tube down into the heater......

I finally won for better or worse...... and put the whole thing back together.. I am pretty sure it did not damage the heater...

I have been carrying around my standard common sized dip tubes for probably 5 years in my truck and have never, ever needed one until I stumbled into this mess TODAY...
so this was a learning experience I dont want to repeat

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e9DzUnpWB5grM8W59

If I need a dip tube I use a piece of soft copper and use my flaring tool to slightly enlarge the head of the copper,seems to work everytime
skoronesa likes this.
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sparky For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (12-11-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
If I need a dip tube I use a piece of soft copper and use my flaring tool to slightly enlarge the head of the copper,seems to work everytime

I have done that in the past too..... long, long ago... I dont carry a flaring tool around with me any more......

on another note,, the water heater got removed on friday afternoon due to other issues going on with it...

the homeowner got tired of fooling with it so it was all for nothing...
sparky, OpenSights, Tango and 1 others like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
sparky (12-10-2019), Tommy plumber (12-11-2019)