The motivational power of money! - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree40Likes

Old 12-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default The motivational power of money!

For a couple of years Iíve been asking him here and there if he wanted to start riding with me to earn some money. Heís nowhere near strong enough to cable anything, but can carry the tool box, clean up messes... no interest at all.

I even played a joke on him earlier this year. I had a customer pay for a rather large drain cleaning job... something like cable/video main and a couple other lines... I took three plastic solo cups, placed them on the table upside down and put about $1k in one of them. When he got home I pulled a $5 bill from my pocket and placed it under one of the empty cups and told him if he follows the right cup, the money was his. Obviously I made it really easy for him to know where the $5 was. Told him to pick a cup. He was so happy when he got $5! So I lifted the remaining cups and the shock was impressive! I told him ďIf you go into drain cleaning, you can eventually make this much money in two hours when you get good enough.Ē Nope! No interest....

My kid turned 11 years old this last September. Since sometime in late June he switched from playing with LEGOs to comic books. Since then heís amassed well over 300 comics. Earning money doing our laundry (he doesnít get paid for his laundry), helping the neighbors with groceries and whatever they need. When we take cans back he does all the work while we shop and he gets half. Everyday he asks what he can do to make money!

My kitchen faucet has been peeing from a pinhole leak on the gooseneck for about 2 years now, and Mrs. OpenSights finally had enough of the darn thing getting the counter wet when she does the dishes. I only had about 1 roll of electrical tape around it and deserves to be posted in the Winners thread... So I bought a chateau.

So, I decided to offer my kid a job. ďGo get the tools from the truck and Iíll pay you $10 to replace the faucet. Iíll tell you what you need to do.Ē

Well, he got it changed out yesterday morning, made his ten bucks and is now non stop asking if I get a call if he can go with me to help and make money!

So, I guess I have an 11y/o appetence! The new Master working for my Master is apparently a joke. Long story there, but it seems like Iím going to go back to work for him on a more frequent basis. Iím thinking of asking him if I can ride separate and bring my kid along as long as itís a bunch of lighter and not a bust up.
Attached Thumbnails
The motivational power of money!-6f22b962-0e1d-4f4c-b616-55a267f07613.jpg  

OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
Venomthirst (12-01-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention, I told him that replacing the faucet I’d make $400 minus about $150 in expenses.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

That's great man! I had a call earlier and went alone as usual. Due to an emergency my 9yo got dropped off to me. I was finishing up snaking a line and had to set the toilet. At first he was all excited to come help me but then realized he would have to go in some strangers home(family friend actually) and talk to a stranger. Mum's the word!

That's great he has the work bug. With our oldest, he's still scared of the dark, we try to get him to be more independent but it's tough. Glad to hear it's working out good for you guys.

Also, does the moen chateau(7430?) take a 1200 cartridge? If so that's great! I was pissed when they discontinued the 7810.

OpenSights and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 08:04 PM   #4

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Awesome to get your son involved.. he'll be happy he did in his future.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Also, does the moen chateau(7430?) take a 1200 cartridge? If so that's great! I was pissed when they discontinued the 7810.

7430... darn it! Now Iím going to have to rip it apart! We bought these faucets about a year and a half ago...
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM   #6

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
7430... darn it! Now Iím going to have to rip it apart! We bought these faucets about a year and a half ago...

It's just one set screw man....no need to freak out lolz

I hope for your sake it's not that stupid ceramic cartridge.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:49 AM   #7

View powellmatthew76's Photo Album My Photos

That's a great story. I have 3 kids myself, all under 7. I think if you push kids to do things too hard, they will rebel and do the opposite.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
powellmatthew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM   #8
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Thats a great story, but just wait a few more years and he will probablyhit puberty and discover girls and then he will either embrace the work you do or run away from plumbing and find something that suits him better due to the nastiness of the dirt he has to be getting into........

you dont know really how it will all pan out.....
but its wise to start them out young at least to teach them about the work ethic....if for no other reason....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J6KYHhpkTRk7SUAE7
OpenSights, skoronesa and Tango like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #9
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Overall really cool. It is a hard task today to get young ones (even not so young ones) interested in physical work.

I started cutting grass at 11 or 12, and worked pumping gas in my Dad's gas station at 13 when he bought it.

I truly understand getting kids interested in hard work and earning a living. I would not agree with taking a minor along on any type of call. Having them work in a brick & mortar building you own is one thing. Taking then into another business or someone's home is another. You may be exposing yourself and property owners to liabilities, child labor, etc.

Sorry hate to rain on your parade.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
Overall really cool. It is a hard task today to get young ones (even not so young ones) interested in physical work.

I started cutting grass at 11 or 12, and worked pumping gas in my Dad's gas station at 13 when he bought it.

I truly understand getting kids interested in hard work and earning a living. I would not agree with taking a minor along on any type of call. Having them work in a brick & mortar building you own is one thing. Taking then into another business or someone's home is another. You may be exposing yourself and property owners to liabilities, child labor, etc.

Sorry hate to rain on your parade.
I hear ya! When I was 10-13 my mom had a landscaping business and Iíd along with her mowing lawns. Started with an old push mower and dad bought me a weed whacker. After my first wear I bought a used riding mower. At my busiest time I was raking in just over $1400 per week! (One quick story: Mom picked up a new customer, and of course I got the lawn account. After the third week I asked the owner about the Ď53 Chevy pickup as it hadnít moved. He said it was given to him by his departed father in law. He said it didnít run and had no interest and if I could get it running and I mowed his lawn for the rest of the year I could have it. So he gave me the keys, I hooked up the jumpers, hopped in, took it out of gear, turned the key and pushed the starter on the floor. Fired right up! His jaw dropped to the floor! Had no idea how to start it. Lol!)

I have taken into account the liability, I can really only think of one customer that could be an issue. I have taken him to a few jobs, not for him to work, but because some of my customers kept bugging me to bring him.

When I get a call and mom isnít home most of them ask for me to bring him along. My area is quite the opposite of what Tango and Master Mark describe. Donít get me wrong, we have bad apples around here, just few and there usually pretty easy to know who is who. Lol! One time when he was five I got a call from one of my big customers, backed up main. Told the owner that I was watching him alone. He said ďthatís fine, bring him along. The girls loved him! Played with him the whole time and were sad when the job was over. If I wasnít married and a professional....
skoronesa and Tango like this.