Marking your tools - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree63Likes

Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Marking your tools

Funny thing happend today, so i bought a 6" bahco adjustable couple years ago...went missing 2 weeks after i got it.
I was working on a job with a guy 3-4 months ago and i saw it laying on the ground next to his bucket of tools an i knew right away...thats my Fkin wrench. I didnt say anything and i left it.
Today was working with same guy and again i noticed it. So i wrested over what to do about it for a bit of the day eventually i seized my oportunity an snatched it back.

I know its mine cause dudes got a bunch of mastercraft stuff an i know he aint spending 20 bucks on a 6" spanner.
Im the only guy i work around that has knipex, bahco, werra, veto pro pac etc...
I dont buy cheap $hit take pride in the stuff i own.

So i just spent hours in my garage grinding my name into most of my stuff, labeld all my batteries. Started with seven milwaukee 5.0 batteries an im down to five...enough is enough.

Im sure this is a topic everyone here can relate to or has a story about.
sparky and OpenSights like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canuck92 For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-06-2020), skoronesa (05-06-2020), sparky (05-26-2020), Tommy plumber (05-06-2020)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Funny thing happend today, so i bought a 6" bahco adjustable couple years ago...went missing 2 weeks after i got it...........
Im sure this is a topic everyone here can relate to or has a story about.

We are pretty fortunate around here no one really steals outright. That said if you leave a pair of channellocks in a guys van and your name ain't on them you best not leave them there for long. We did have one guy take a couple small things from a guy he was having arguments with, nothing major.

The biggest problem is if you leave something where only other tradesmen go then it's fair game and even if your name is on it you might not get it back.

I write my name on everything and try to buy unique tools like channellocks with different color handles. I have used a dremel to grind my name into the back strap of my fuller japanese pipe wrenches in huge font. No mistaking those guys. I write my last name twice on the inside handles of my channellocks always. On my expensive power tools it's written in many places and often inside the case.

Marker, grinder, punches, you name it, I use it to put my name on all of my stuff I can. Only takes a moment to write your name, but it takes years to stop cursing yourself for losing a tool. Eventually when you go back to that house you can take it back in confidence knowing the homeowner can't say "I've had that for years!".

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #3

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

My power tools have my name written on them, in an obvious place, and once again under the batterie covers it, or there will be company stickers.
Since I mostly work alone, my hand tools don’t have anything on them.
skoronesa likes this.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Logtec For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-06-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2020, 08:41 PM   #4

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

My brother lays his tools on a piece of cardboard and spray paints them green. I used to work for a GC who would spray paint his Dewalt batteries hot pink so no would walk off with them.

I sharpie my initials on my Milwaukee batteries and on the power tools where the battery goes. My basic hand tools I don’t bother and have rarely lost any.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #5

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I paint stuff either red or green. Hand tools that is.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

anything metal I stamp my initials into and anything else I put my initials on and then hide I set with a label or tape, so if some cocksucker steels it and paints over my initials I can peel back the tape or sticker and there they are and there he goes down..
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:26 PM   #7

If you ever get a swiss army knife, when it's brand new and the plastic isn't brittle, pop off the side panels and write your name in the valleys. You might need some superglue on the attachment points but even without it I have never had them come off later accidentally. There really isn't any where else to easily put your name that won't rub off or that they can't find easy and remove.

Those things can be expensive and I had this one time at an old job where someone found it in the parking lot and I had to have the manager pop off the panel to prove it was mine.

MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 05-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
anything metal I stamp my initials into and anything else I put my initials on and then hide I set with a label or tape, so if some cocksucker steels it and paints over my initials I can peel back the tape or sticker and there they are and there he goes down..

I have a couple different sets of punches including this nice set probably 100 years old from fall river mass. It's a cool old font. If you do it lightly to a bare metal surface with a good patina it will quickly blend in. Then later on you can take some grit cloth or even cardboard and with some light sanding it will be visible so you can show someone.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
My brother lays his tools on a piece of cardboard and spray paints them green. I used to work for a GC who would spray paint his Dewalt batteries hot pink so no would walk off with them.

I sharpie my initials on my Milwaukee batteries and on the power tools where the battery goes. My basic hand tools I donít bother and have rarely lost any.

Unfortunately, at least around here, spray painting stuff, especially hot pink, is pretty common. I guess it's rare enough but I find all sorts of tools at thrift stores or garage sales that have pink paint.

Where I work we have stencils with a company logo for spray painting. It's more just for safe return than as a theft deterrent.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:38 PM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
I have a couple different sets of punches including this nice set probably 100 years old from fall river mass. It's a cool old font. If you do it lightly to a bare metal surface with a good patina it will quickly blend in. Then later on you can take some grit cloth or even cardboard and with some light sanding it will be visible so you can show someone.

I got the harbor freight letter punches, I pound the schit out of them and they last..
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.