Losing motivation - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree30Likes

Old 10-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Losing motivation

Every year around this time, daylight gets shorter, temperature gets colder.
I seem to lose my drive and the fire starts to die out.
In the summer i spring out of bed at 5am looking forward to work.
Untill october -april i have no desire to put on pants an get out of bed. Dont want to deal with people, plumbing, life. Get really negative an my additude turn to $hit.
Anybody else go through this type of seasonal mental slump. And what do you deal to cope...besides drinking lol
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 02:25 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Untill october -april i have no desire to put on pants an get out of bed. Dont want to deal with people, plumbing, life. Get really negative an my additude turn to $hit.
Anybody else go through this type of seasonal mental slump. And what do you deal to cope...besides drinking lol
I know exactly how you feel. Instead of one or two boxes of unsorted restock parts it's four or five cluttering the van. Garbage/scrap hangs around the van longer. With the cold and the wet you feel like crap and don't want to do it. Unfortunately my way of dealing with it ends up being eating more. I gain like 20 pounds each winter and lose it by the end of spring.

I find that good clothing helps a lot. Warm/dry boots, spare changes of shirt and a dry hoodie. I carry less crap in my pants pockets during the winter too so I feel lighter and more agile. I take some less often used items from the tool bag. I have no qualms about idling the van for like 20-30mins in the morning so it's warm. I almost never drink coffee, but in the winter if I feel like crap I will get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

I think for the most part it's lot of little things you can do that help with the winter slump.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:27 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
hell no..when it starts getting cold hunting season starts..I can go out and kill things in the woods...maybe this year the rioters may be on the list if they come knocking...
you have to have more than just work to look forward to each week...I like the change of seasons as there is something new todo in each season..
true its dark when you go out and dark when you come home, so have alot of indoor projects to do..

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #4
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Quote:
I know exactly how you feel. Instead of one or two boxes of unsorted restock parts it's four or five cluttering the van. Garbage/scrap hangs around the van longer. With the cold and the wet you feel like crap and don't want to do it. Unfortunately my way of dealing with it ends up being eating more. I gain like 20 pounds each winter and lose it by the end of spring.

I find that good clothing helps a lot. Warm/dry boots, spare changes of shirt and a dry hoodie. I carry less crap in my pants pockets during the winter too so I feel lighter and more agile. I take some less often used items from the tool bag. I have no qualms about idling the van for like 20-30mins in the morning so it's warm. I almost never drink coffee, but in the winter if I feel like crap I will get a cup of coffee or hot chocolate.

I think for the most part it's lot of little things you can do that help with the winter slump.

Yea staying comfortable is important.
I used to get so bad i thought i hated plumbing and blamed my job for my crappy additude and considerd quitting an just working as a wal-mart greeter ahah.

Iv seen the pattern enough now and aware that its a seasonal thing, its me an not other peoples problem.
Doesnt make it any better but it is what it is.
I had a couple of calls for family freinds yesterday, i didnt answer the phone cause i just didnt feel like working.
Not good for reputation. Dragged my ass out today for it though.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Fall is my favorite time of the year!forcast only shows one day in the high 40s, mid to high 50s and lows just above freezing. The upper lower is getting snow already. I’m sure it’s worse in Canada.

Yeah, once winter hits I don’t feel like getting out much. It was different when I was younger. Now all my joints hurt, my hands are the worse. Depending on how cold it is I’ll haul my machine into the basement even if there’s an outside clean out.
skoronesa likes this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #6

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I had a couple of calls for family freinds yesterday, i didnt answer the phone cause i just didnt feel like working.
Not good for reputation. Dragged my ass out today for it though.

Yeah, this morning I felt like crap but made my self do my dump run and get going anyway. You have to force yourself to start when you feel like crap. Fake it till you make really does work, most mornings anyway.

OpenSights likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

Do you have any hobbies, indoor outdoor?
I prefer the cooler/cold weather, it’s ski season.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #8
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
Do you have any hobbies, indoor outdoor?
I prefer the cooler/cold weather, it’s ski season.
Golf and hockey.
Cant really do either do to covid season changes.

Should probably make a new goal, somthing to work towards, keep the mind busy.
Kinda finished everything i had to work for.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:52 PM   #9

View PLUMB TIME's Photo Album My Photos

Three inches of snow today
I actually like fall and winter, crisp, quiet, all the tourists are gone (mostly).

Bought a new ten point cross bow, thats fun
Picked up a Kubota bx26 tractor with multiple attachments, been having fun at the hunting grounds.

Ice fishing is right around the corner.

I dont do new work anymore so the elements dont matter to me.
OpenSights and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
PLUMB TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #10

View PLUMB TIME's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Golf and hockey.
Cant really do either do to covid season changes.

Should probably make a new goal, somthing to work towards, keep the mind busy.
Kinda finished everything i had to work for.

Canuck,
Hope this is just seasonal and you work through it each fall. If not, maybe its time to talk to someone, keep your head up bro.
OpenSights and skoronesa like this.
PLUMB TIME is offline   Reply With Quote