Let Them Do What ? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree14Likes

Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 AM   #1

View bobtheplummer's Photo Album My Photos
Default Let Them Do What ?

I have been doing plumbing work in the city I come from for 30 years.
Usually when doing a water service replacement I tie the piping into the cities meter. (way I was taught). I have been asked numerous times "why don't you let the city tie it in, what if something breaks on the yolk ,etc.."?.
(we cannot get City Yolks at supply house)..
Well, I did a service, poly piping,and the yolk was old and rusted,so I figure call the city and get them to do it. (no one presently in home).
I called city service left order,seemed easy enough. Few days no one shows...I call again, this time, "I can only speak to owner". OK.. I have owner call, they tell him 21 days ! OK..NO SHOW.. Owner calls again, "i am sorry sir,someone will be there tomorrow".
OK...Couple days go by owner asks if I will see if they showed. I go to site,tag on door says "all done".. YUP, new service staring me in the face, meter on,water steady running through dis-connected service, YUP,all done ,I for one do not think calling them is a good idea .
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
bobtheplummer is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Now exactly sure what you are talking about. You wanted the city to connect your pipe to the water meter? Outside or inside? Do you have any pictures?

I for one would never close the water main in the front yard or connect to the valve if a trench was dug. For 75$ it's their problem if it breaks.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Most places around here the customer is responsible for the cost right up to main which also usually means they are responsible for hiring someone to do that. If the town main needs to be shut off guys from the town will show up and shut it off but the customers licensed plumber will be connecting to it. If they do not have a licensed plumber one will be hired for them and they will be paying pretty much whatever they want to charge(it's always within reason).

Some of the larger municipalities have a fully equipped town water department and the city will provide up to and including the curb stop. Even the smaller water departments are "fully equipped" they just don't usually have full time guys, much less more than one licensed plumbers on staff. Therefore the plumbing companies like us who are large and have been around for a long time are a trusted fixture(haha plumbing pun!) of the community.

I have no problem wrenching on whatever. I know what I am doing and if something goes south we all get the benefit of the doubt and no one screams SUE! SUE! We are all just trying to do our best working together. It must really suck living in a rat race. I fell bad for you guys in the city who have to constantly worry about covering your asses first and doing a good job second.

MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

I have no problem wrenching on whatever. I know what I am doing and if something goes south we all get the benefit of the doubt and no one screams SUE! SUE! We are all just trying to do our best working together. It must really suck living in a rat race. I fell bad for you guys in the city who have to constantly worry about covering your asses first and doing a good job second.

If I close the curb valve and it breaks, I pay for the backhoe, new grass, new asphalt driveway and I pay for the valve that belong to the city! And oh that's another licence which isn't reserved for plumbers, luckily I have it other wise I'd have to hire someone else.

Yep, psychologist first, lawyer second, businessman 3rd and plumber last. The woman and her son today were puzzled why they had to sign my work order twice with a spot where they have to confirm the time I used.

I have to be protect myself because I learned the hard way a single signature isn't enough to prove your innocence because they can twist the meaning if you only have one.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #5

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If I close the curb valve and it breaks, I pay for the backhoe, new grass, new asphalt driveway and I pay for the valve that belong to the city! And oh that's another licence which isn't reserved for plumbers, luckily I have it other wise I'd have to hire someone else.

Yep, psychologist first, lawyer second, businessman 3rd and plumber last. The woman and her son today were puzzled why they had to sign my work order twice with a spot where they have to confirm the time I used.

I have to be protect myself because I learned the hard way a single signature isn't enough to prove your innocence because they can twist the meaning if you only have one.

No backhoe here, only a shovel as our frost line is only 14".
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
No backhoe here, only a shovel as our frost line is only 14".
Bah humbug!

6 - to 8 feet here...
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Most places around here the customer is responsible for the cost right up to main which also usually means they are responsible for hiring someone to do that. If the town main needs to be shut off guys from the town will show up and shut it off but the customers licensed plumber will be connecting to it. If they do not have a licensed plumber one will be hired for them and they will be paying pretty much whatever they want to charge(it's always within reason).

Some of the larger municipalities have a fully equipped town water department and the city will provide up to and including the curb stop. Even the smaller water departments are "fully equipped" they just don't usually have full time guys, much less more than one licensed plumbers on staff. Therefore the plumbing companies like us who are large and have been around for a long time are a trusted fixture(haha plumbing pun!) of the community.

You got it . Thats the problem, covering your ass seems to be more important which drives me up the wall
Old 05-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Now exactly sure what you are talking about. You wanted the city to connect your pipe to the water meter? Outside or inside? Do you have any pictures?

I for one would never close the water main in the front yard or connect to the valve if a trench was dug. For 75$ it's their problem if it breaks

It was an entire service front yard 36" deep - permit - done correctly. I was just going to let the city make the connection to their piping.
I installed about 30' - 3/4" CTS Poly (plastic) service piping with a tracer wire.
All they had to do was tie it in, You couldnt miss the new service I had YELLOW tape holding tracer wire to piping. It looked like a SNAKE. Somehow they couldnt read their own work order , see the NEW PIPE and the morons turn the broken service on. The meter was spinning, how could they NOT know they screwed up.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtheplummer View Post
It was an entire service front yard 36" deep - permit - done correctly. I was just going to let the city make the connection to their piping.
I installed about 30' - 3/4" CTS Poly (plastic) service piping with a tracer wire.
All they had to do was tie it in, You couldnt miss the new service I had YELLOW tape holding tracer wire to piping. It looked like a SNAKE. Somehow they couldnt read their own work order , see the NEW PIPE and the morons turn the broken service on. The meter was spinning, how could they NOT know they screwed up.
I learned some time ago people have different levels of intelligence. They're are also a degree of sharpness, to understand your environment.

Then there are those who have no knowledge or they are complete neanderthals.

Yesterday at mcdonald a guy had to have his hamburger redone 3 times because he said no onions. The last I seen of him is when he took his receipt and showed the manager. He was on the verge of punching her out.

While me, I had to return 2 hour cold fries and she forgot to bring new ones to my table...
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM   #10

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos

I just looked at a screwed up stop valve this morning. Probably been in the ground attached to the galvanized water service since 1960. They wanted me to try to turn it off so they could finish their remodel. I put as much pressure as I felt comfortable and the thing would not budge.

He then wanted me to try and thread the 80+ year old galvanized pipe in the ground and install a new valve in it's place.

The pipe doesn't even look like pipe anymore. He claims there's another valve about a half mile up the road that shuts that off along with 3 other houses, and we walked to where it was supposedly at, and no valve.

Call me when you find it.
skoronesa and Tango like this.