Intro discussion - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree2Likes

Old 09-13-2019, 09:40 PM   #1
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default Intro discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear junkie View Post
Welcome on in. Your page is easily verifiable.
Right on . I don't know why it is such a big deal that they post every detail that has been requested regarding their experience in the industry. One click on their website proves that. It is much more proof of their qualifications than many others have given, most of which have just been our word. Some people don't mind giving a lot of personal to semi-personal information out, even if they are anonymous, but others do. The new members' ability to add value to plumbing discussion will soon enough be determined by the quality of their posts, or lack thereof, not by their telling us a few words to fit an arbitrary standard.

Their other post looking for ideas was quickly blocked for what was IMO a petty reason. I was preparing a response to them based on my long experience with the subject, and others may have benefited from it too. Now no one gets to know, and we're able to have no discussion. That is a shame.

Are they ever going to come back here and participate now? Is that any way to attract participation to a forum that has so many members, yet only about a dozen regular active posters?

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some conniving homeowner went to all that trouble to set up such an elaborate website just as a ruse to get in here and get free plumbing advice?
Tommy plumber (09-13-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeswiththeflow View Post
Right on . I don't know why it is such a big deal that they post every detail that has been requested regarding their experience in the industry. One click on their website proves that. It is much more proof of their qualifications than many others have given, most of which have just been our word. Some people don't mind giving a lot of personal to semi-personal information out, even if they are anonymous, but others do. The new members' ability to add value to plumbing discussion will soon enough be determined by the quality of their posts, or lack thereof, not by their telling us a few words to fit an arbitrary standard.

Their other post looking for ideas was quickly blocked for what was IMO a petty reason. I was preparing a response to them based on my long experience with the subject, and others may have benefited from it too. Now no one gets to know, and we're able to have no discussion. That is a shame.

Are they ever going to come back here and participate now? Is that any way to attract participation to a forum that has so many members, yet only about a dozen regular active posters?

Or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some conniving homeowner went to all that trouble to set up such an elaborate website just as a ruse to get in here and get free plumbing advice?

I guess you weren't here last couple years when we had several hacks pretending to be plumbers with short intros and lots of guys giving out advice to them. Thread is opened.
mtfallsmikey likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
mtfallsmikey (09-20-2019)
Old 09-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
3rd year apprentice

That was decent of you to reopen it.

Not a few years ago, but I have seen a few hacks since I've been here. I enjoy seeing them run off, and they deserve it, but what is to stop them from just lying when answering all of the criteria, and being accepted?

Anyway, moot point, since these guys' claim to be the real thing has been accepted and my point taken. So onward.
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2019, 11:18 PM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

a lengthy into is welcomed so the new member can explain their back ground and info about themselves both professional and personal so other members can relate to them and you get some incite into the person...
having a company websight is nice , but if you want to be an active member then you can spare the 10 minutes it may to type up your intro..I would think the reason you join here is to be active and not just post a question for a quick answer or to join and post once...
mtfallsmikey likes this.
MASTRPLUMB (09-13-2019), mtfallsmikey (09-20-2019), Tango (09-13-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #5

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Right on . I don't know why it is such a big deal that they post every detail that has been requested regarding their experience in the industry. One click on their website proves that. It is much more proof of their qualifications than many others have given, most of which have just been our word.

Several reasons, the main one being this is a FORUM. As in you're supposed to talk a lot. If they aren't willing to post a thorough intro they prolly aren't willing to post much of anything else and thus can just go screw.

Second, why should we all individually have to go hunting for their website and credentials?

Third, it does work well as verification of actually being a plumber. When you really know because you actually do this stuff everyday the way you describe your trade is very different than someone pretending to be a plumber. It stops the diy crowd because they just want quick answers and can't get a quick answer because we want real intros.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
Tango (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Several reasons, the main one being this is a FORUM. As in you're supposed to talk a lot. If they aren't willing to post a thorough intro they prolly aren't willing to post much of anything else and thus can just go screw.

Second, why should we all individually have to go hunting for their website and credentials?

Third, it does work well as verification of actually being a plumber. When you really know because you actually do this stuff everyday the way you describe your trade is very different than someone pretending to be a plumber. It stops the diy crowd because they just want quick answers and can't get a quick answer because we want real intros.

Seriously, well said. I agree they do a super short intro and jump into asking questions asking a lot of details on our part. We don't owe them anything. They want want advice they should join the group discussions. I fell like the majority who are new member are just gimme gimme gimme. It feels like the 1st, 2nd year apprentice complaining he's not getting the journeyman rates. They post one question and we never see them again.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

this X2..if you dont have the time to post a proper intro I dont have the time to post a proper answer to your 2nd post question( you and all the other 1 post wonders)..or not a valid response...
Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:

lets be honest, till Tango called you out for the same thing you had no post count and was looking for info..
its great that you became an active member and it would be better if many others that just posted a flim flam intro( not saying yours was flim flam) do the same..
Old 09-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #9
3rd year apprentice

I don't remember that, and I'm not going to waste time time going to look, though I'm sure someone else will. If that's the way it happened, so what? I wouldn't have done it because I felt "called out", but probably just didn't bother paying attention to something so trivial, and complied once it was brought to my attention. I still say that I have much better things to do than worry about something so petty. If someone turns out to be a fraud and/or can't add to the conversation it will be revealed soon enough.

Now are they going to be one post wonders because you are all right, or because they were made to feel unwelcome because of a mere oversight? We might never know, but it reminds me of the Salem witch trials; admit you were a witch and get put to death, or insist that you weren't and get put to death because you were lying, since all witches lie.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Quote:
I don't remember that, and I'm not going to waste time time going to look, though I'm sure someone else will. If that's the way it happened, so what? I wouldn't have done it because I felt "called out", but probably just didn't bother paying attention to something so trivial, and complied once it was brought to my attention. I still say that I have much better things to do than worry about something so petty. If someone turns out to be a fraud and/or can't add to the conversation it will be revealed soon enough.

Now are they going to be one post wonders because you are all right, or because they were made to feel unwelcome because of a mere oversight? We might never know, but it reminds me of the Salem witch trials; admit you were a witch and get put to death, or insist that you weren't and get put to death because you were lying, since all witches lie.

your missing the point, and when you have more time here you will see many of the 1 post wonders that did post a nice intro still dont post and they were given a good welcome aboard...
many just want a quick answer and you dont hear from them till another question..
thats ok if you think its petty , but most of the active people feel differently and many members have moved on or lost interest or got butt hurt and left.....
its a plumbing forum and most plumbers are blue collar and alittle crude around the edges and should have a thick skin for getting ribbed or picked on, consider it a right of passage, but if your gona get butt hurt that fast over a few words online then that is the persons problem, as real life is not a bed of roses...
Tango (09-15-2019)