Injury Prevention - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 2 Post By DrWhite
  • 4 Post By Will
  • 1 Post By dhal22

Old 04-12-2019, 05:47 AM   #1

View Will's Photo Album My Photos
Default Injury Prevention

It's been awhile since I posted on the forum. Been extremely busy. I've been dealing with carpel tunnel and back issues for a long, long time. It's life, and no way to avoid it, but I'm open to what other do to prevent issues from getting out of control. Channellocks seem to destroy my hands. Thinking of investing in "Swedish Style" pipe wrenches to help. Anyone use them? What has been some of the better things y'all do to prevent injuries?
Will is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I too had carpel tunnel, since the age of 25 I would get shocks in the hands and they would be constantly numb and tingling. It was probably due to all the drop anchors and concrete chipping as an apprentice. Sometime it was hard to hold a spoon.

I've also realized if your hands are not warm enough especially in the winter it gets worse. I've been sleeping with cut off wool socks on the wrists and cotton glove since then. It has gone away but it comes back on occasion when it's cold or too much vibration from drilling concrete.

For your back you can always try a special belt.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 AM   #3

View DrWhite's Photo Album My Photos

So let me give you the low down on the swedish pattern pipe wrench. I am a tool addict, hoarder or whatever you wish to call it. I'm always on the hunt for some specialized tool that's just came out or forgotten by time to make my job easier.

I saw the Knipex pipe wrench thinking it would be easier to adjust quickly and have a bigger pipe capacity in a smaller form factor. Well guess what it does. There is a reason why it sadly sits in my garage unused instead of on the truck and something you can't discern from the very few videos online showing the tool off... It doesn't handle like a pipe wrench.

Think of it more like "Swedish pattern channel locks". It doesn't "ratchet" on a pipe as you tighten or loosen as the bottom jaw is oriented to the opposite handle as channel locks so it takes both hands to turn and grip the pipe again. It also needs to be squeezed like pliers to grip pipe.

If I had gone into the purchase thinking of them as big pliers, I would've been satisfied with them but thinking of them as a pipe wrench replacement, I regretted my purchase and sounds like you would too.

Sorry for formatting and typos I wrote all this up on my phone I just didn't want someone else to make the same 120 dollar mistake I did. I will say I have been eyeing the Knipex plierswrench recently so I may never learn my lesson.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk
Will and Tango like this.
DrWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I use them once in a while. My Master has a good set he got years ago, I have a couple cheap Chinese ones on my truck.

Friday the big pair saved us. Only thing big enough for a 4x3” galvanized bushing on a lint trap.

As far as any safety or injury prevention goes...
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM   #5

View Florida Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I am only a young guy, so I would be interested to see how everyone else keeps their body from injury. I will say that I try and use a knee pad or sit on a bucket if I will be working in the same spot for some time. I have heard that fish oil pills also helps with your joints.
Florida Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #6

View Will's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks on the feedback on the Swedish Pipe Wrench. Squeezing pliers is whatI'm trying to avoid. I'll do it if low torque is needed, but I got to get away from using them to spin pipe, specially breaking old pipes that have been in service for 100 years....I really appreciate the feed back, and you saved me a 100-200 bucks. Sounds like I would be better off getting more offset wrenches, maybe the rapid style pipe wrenches, and getting more alluminium pipe wrenches to save weight. Using channellock or any pliers in high torque will catch up to you over time.

Another thing is to stop using sawzall for everything, they vibrate too much. Get a band saw and a chop saw for cutting as much pipes as possible. I use them to cut cast iron instead of snap cutters, that catches up to you over time too
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM   #7

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I have a bad knee from water skiing accident many years ago but no health issues beyond that and I'm 52. Admittedly I don't do much physical plumbing anymore but sawsalls and channel locks don't bother me. Mostly just creaks from age.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote