I learned something new today....... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree64Likes

Old 06-04-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos
Default I learned something new today.......

I went out to an air b+b house today to check out low water pressure in the home.......

The house had a tankless rheem gas heater without a water softener or the cleaning ports installed on the unit.... and the unit is about 5 years old.......

The ****ty American standard lavatory faucets take a special wrench to get the areators out of the nose of the faucet,,,, I ended up taking my turbo torch and heating up the end of a screwdriver and melted the little cock/uckers out ....

I got good pressure coming out of the faucets again but after a few minutes the hot sides of both faucets on this double bowl sink clogged up again...

anyway after blowing out the hot lines into a bucket I get bunch of scale in the bottom of the bucket ,,,, that is when I realize its chipping off the heat exchanger in the tankless heater and clogging up all the faucets in the home...

I called my rheem guy and he told me it was very possible that if the unit is not de-limed every year it could spit out a bunch of sand into the plumbing system....

This was a first for me.....

anyway, I tore out the rheem tankless heater cause they did not want to throw money into a water softener..... I installed a 50 gallon power vent and used the flu they had already installed out the side of the house.....

I also had to back flush the expensive kitchen faucet and it blew out a bunch of crap on the hot side too.... I went through the house and cleaned everything out. I could not get the shower faucet apart cause it took a special long star bit to get the handle off.. and of course I dont have the right size with me

Has anyone run into this issue before???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
I went out to an air b+b house today to check out low water pressure in the home.......

The house had a tankless rheem gas heater without a water softener or the cleaning ports installed on the unit.... and the unit is about 5 years old.......

The ****ty American standard lavatory faucets take a special wrench to get the areators out of the nose of the faucet,,,, I ended up taking my turbo torch and heating up the end of a screwdriver and melted the little cock/uckers out ....

I got good pressure coming out of the faucets again but after a few minutes the hot sides of both faucets on this double bowl sink clogged up again...

anyway after blowing out the hot lines into a bucket I get bunch of scale in the bottom of the bucket ,,,, that is when I realize its chipping off the heat exchanger in the tankless heater and clogging up all the faucets in the home...

I called my rheem guy and he told me it was very possible that if the unit is not de-limed every year it could spit out a bunch of sand into the plumbing system....

anyway, I tore out the rheem tankless heater cause they did not want to throw money into a water softener..... I installed a 50 gallon power vent and used the flu they had already installed out the side of the house.....

I also had to back flush the expensive kitchen faucet and it blew out a bunch of crap on the hot side too.... I went through the house and cleaned everything out. I could not get the shower faucet apart cause it took a special long star bit to get the handle off.. and of course I dont have the right size with me

I install takagi brand and have not had any scale issues of yet, they put enough chlorine and chemicals into the water system probably to et away any thing that may build up..
I have never delimed any of the units I installed and havent gotten any call backs for issues you mention..
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:34 PM   #3

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

Yeah, we have lots of lime here. That's why all tankless heaters in our area get combination valves. This way it's easy to circulate HCl acid through and clean the heat exchanger. It's the same build up you get on the elements of a standard electric water heater but with a standard heater the lime can fall off and collect on the bottom.

Cleaning one is the same as acid cleaning a domestic coil in a boiler.

Attached Thumbnails
I learned something new today.......-how-flush-tankless-water-heater.jpg  

GAN, sparky, MACPLUMB777 and 1 others like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
sparky (06-25-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

All the time! Outside of the capital city, we have really bad water. My city water is horrible, well water is really bad! I skipped the softener in my house. Sediment filter, 5 micron whole house filter, and for drinking, brewing, cooking and ice, a 5 stage RO system. Add old galvanized lines and it a very common issue.

That’s the main reason why on demand heaters are rare out here. I can’t tell you how many customers really want one until I tell them they’ll need to call me out every year to flush it with chemicals.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
All the time! Outside of the capital city, we have really bad water. My city water is horrible, well water is really bad! I skipped the softener in my house. Sediment filter, 5 micron whole house filter, and for drinking, brewing, cooking and ice, a 5 stage RO system. Add old galvanized lines and it a very common issue.

Thatís the main reason why on demand heaters are rare out here. I canít tell you how many customers really want one until I tell them theyíll need to call me out every year to flush it with chemicals.

I have seen them lime up before but never realized that the crap could break free and literally fill up the faucets with sand....Its something new to me..

another plumber bidding on this job tried to sell them a booster pump in the crawl space for 4k to get their pressure back up to speed

I am gonna long remember this for the next person who calls me and wants to know the pros and cons on tankless heaters......

The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
rooterboy (06-17-2020)
Old 06-04-2020, 11:21 PM   #6

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

i talk everyone out of installing one. nothing to gain.
sparky and OpenSights like this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post

People ask me all the time about them and they are hot to trot already and I throw cold water on the whole dream.....

you tell them you could buy 3 heaters for what one cost and you mention the cost to delime them once a year and that really pops their bubble....

around here guys are chargeing 275 to come out and run acid through them once a year .....

I throw a number at them like 4k and mention that is what a used car cost...
but some folks wont take no for an answer and are hell bent on sticking it in their own a***s no matter what I tell them...
I tell them to shop this around cause I am not wanting the future issues that will certainly arise some day......

they used to sell Eternal here big time in our town...

Last edited by GAN; 06-11-2020 at 07:32 AM..
Old 06-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #8

View Toli's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post

There are benefits to them. But the benefits come with a high price tag.

If a guy says he wants one because heís tired of the nonstop complaining every day from his wife and 3 daughters about running out of hot water, and heís fine with the price, what do I care?

If the condo owner wants to hang one on the wall up high and get rid of the tank to gain some storage space, what do I care?

As long as I can meet their expectations and they understand everything that goes along with them, Iíll put them in everyday.
GAN, sparky, chonkie and 4 others like this.
Toli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toli For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (06-05-2020), Plumbergeek (06-11-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 12:49 PM   #9

View Paulie B's Photo Album My Photos

I've found pumping vinager through them helps descale them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Paulie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:32 PM   #10

View PlumberJeff's Photo Album My Photos

Exactly !
PlumberJeff is offline   Reply With Quote