I hate realizing....... - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By Alan
  • 2 Post By OpenSights
  • 2 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 4 Post By Tango
  • 3 Post By Alan
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill

Old 02-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #1

View Alan's Photo Album My Photos
Default I hate realizing.......

That I've been MIA too long when I come back here.

Life happens, we get busy, I've found other things to do with my time as usual.

My daughter's 8th-grade basketball team ended up winning the huge annual girls tournament (A1 division) this year, and after that, the local AAU ball team picked her up. Now we're traveling at least somewhat short distances a lot more frequently than we are used to. I love watching these games, but it is definitely an expense.

In December I took my Oregon CCB License test and passed, so I have an actual license number to be a contractor in Oregon now. I still need another special license to be a "plumbing business" which is sort of frustrating because I know it's just a money generator. I don't need additional testing for this license, it's simply $150 and proof you passed your CCB test. I've sent this in, but it takes 3-4 days, and I am still waiting.

Anyway, new business cards are en route, and I have an appointment to get the new license numbers on the truck and I can stop turning away some of this work.

Side story: I'd probably be licensed by now if it wasn't for my insurance agent.
The first certificate of liability she sent was unreadable. I could barely read it on my computer screen, then I had to print it out and fax it to them.
The second one I told her I would come in and pick up. She had the wrong name on the "additionally insured" line. Luckily I caught that before I left her office, so I had to stand there for another 30 minutes for her to make a new one. (Is it really that hard?)
After that, the state of Oregon told me that she didn't have enough of the information filled out as to what my insurance covers.
(each one of these rejects resets the clock at 10 days)
She didn't know what they wanted, but apparently was too broken to call and ask, so I had to do it and I don't understand most of this insurance language at this point in my life.

Shopping for a new insurance company.
dhal22, OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 06:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Welcome back! I’ve been wondering where you went! Family is always a good excuse, I use it all the time....
Alan and MACPLUMB777 like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

welcome back, sometimes a little sabbatical is a good thing to recharge...
having a good insurance company is a must, the one I have now has a girl that handles the insurance certificates and does a great job, rarely is there an issue that I need a new certificate...
Alan and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Who is this guy Alan?? Did you post an intro?

Alan, dhal22, OpenSights and 1 others like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
welcome back, sometimes a little sabbatical is a good thing to recharge...
having a good insurance company is a must, the one I have now has a girl that handles the insurance certificates and does a great job, rarely is there an issue that I need a new certificate...
I was going to keep ranting about insurance, but I decided enough was enough, but now I'm jealous and I want to keep going.

So I've been dealing with this commercial 1/2 bath for my wife's work for a long time now. They are building some kind of transportation facility (read: Huge metal building) and it needs 1 bathroom in it.

I've already roughed in the underfloor as a subcontractor for the underground crew.

Now they want to hire me to do the rest of the above-floor, but they NEED AN INSURANCE CERTIFICATE. Mind you before this point I've already met with the in-house guy who is in charge of the project now three times to go over a 1/2 bath. I'm trying to be nice here but it's already frustrating. He gives me this contract which is NTE $10k, and fine, but the insurance requirements are asinine. I told them I can get an umbrella policy, but that's going to run AT LEAST $600 for what amounts to probably a 1-day project. They told me to just send me what I have and they can probably get some of that stuff waived by legal.

So I ask for a certificate with the specific language they are requiring VIA e-mail. I follow up the next day with a phone call, and someone else in the office answered and said they would pass the message along.

This all in the middle of dealing with the Oregon certificate nonsense, so I'm just done dealing with these jerks at this point.

So I tell my wife that all this is going on and how I'm probably just going to pass on the job since I can't get this certificate, and she went down there and ripped them a new one.

She sends me a text about 15 minutes later with a picture of the certificate, and it's missing the AGGREGATE amount line among other things. I told her not to worry about it and just come home, I'm done with them. Nope. She was even more pissed. She went back in there and made them fix it, brought it home, I take one look at it, and they had screwed up the address of the 'additionally insured'

Old 02-04-2020, 12:37 AM   #6

I would take a guess that they are doing it on purpose just to screw with you...if not save all the copies and demand to see upper management and tell them of the screw ups...
Tango likes this.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
I would take a guess that they are doing it on purpose just to screw with you...if not save all the copies and demand to see upper management and tell them of the screw ups...
Am I giving them too much credit for just being complete idiots?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Am I giving them too much credit for just being complete idiots?
it could be a combination of all the above...