Give me your opinions on water heating choice - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree17Likes

Old 04-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

View leakfree's Photo Album My Photos
Default Give me your opinions on water heating choice

Have a 12 year old 50 gal. bradford white NG atmospheric vent now.Sometime in the future it's going to need to be replaced and have been debating the idea of a tankless.Current heater will sometimes run out with guests in the house,normally it's just the 2 of us.Has 3 full baths (one with 3 heads)kitchen,laundry
The heater is jammed in a closet with the furnace now so upsizing isn't a choice,height is limited due to where it ties into the B vent for the furnace.House is a raised ranch on a slab so relocating also is not a choice.
50 gallon heaters are running almost $500 and I see 6.5 GPM tankless at $600 and change.
I have plenty of NG to feed a tankless,have 110 VAC,avg groundwater temp is @50 deg. F,flue is a straight shot out through a 2 car heated/cooled garage,current heater is centrally located between 3 baths and the kitchen.Labor cost doesn't figure in if I'm doing it,so whats your choice when replacement time comes along?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #2

View gap1927's Photo Album My Photos

What kind of tankless is only $600?
I realize you are in the US so prices are lower but we pay about $1500 for a Rinnai or Navien here in Canada.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
gap1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:39 PM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

im in the USA, so what tankless is $500.00? im guessing some made in china crap...but post a link to brand and pricing..
gap1927 and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #4

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Just priced a tankless here in ontario like 1750 from our supplier... pv hw tank was 1250 ish thanks to trumps tariffs and our canadian peso..
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I’ll never put a tankless in my house. For one, my city water quality, but that’s my issue. Even if you have good water quality you’re supposed to flush them with chemicals every year. Also there is so much more that can go bad.

If You know an election and get 220 over there get a rheem marathon. I installed ten of them on one job. A few hours before inspection we fired them up, and I kid you not in about 15 minutes the water was already about 100 degrees.

In fact I put one in at the humane society. Their 40 gallon heater would run out of hot water in 15 minutes when washing out the kennels. Replaced it with a marathon and no matter what, they haven’t ever run out of hot water.

As far as cost to run it vs gas, I don’t know. But I do know they’re very efficient.
Master Mark, GAN and Tango like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #6

View leakfree's Photo Album My Photos

Cost isn't the main factor,function is what I'm looking at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
im in the USA, so what tankless is $500.00? im guessing some made in china crap...but post a link to brand and pricing..
600 and change not 500.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rinnai-H...65iN/306655643
first one that popped up

or this one for under $1000

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rinnai-S...75iN/306655610

or this one

https://www.amazon.com/Rinnai-RUC80i...%2C168&sr=8-14
Old 04-05-2019, 11:12 PM   #7
ECH

View ECH's Photo Album My Photos

Is a Cash Acme Tank Booster or E max booster an option?

When you say you have plenty of gas, is that just a feeling, or did you work the numbers? No gas work at all? You on a 2lb meter, etc etc? The heater you linked to is direct vent, and on the edge of not supplying flow for 3 showers, I would go bigger just to be safe. Your b vent will need ripped out for that unit, if I am understanding your closet location, I would think going up would be best, so you would need the Ubink vent kit. If rennai makes a b vent type unit, you would need to figure make up air, communicating spaces and grate sizing between floors/walls/doors. It usually works out to a 2 car garage needed for make up air.

I am more firmiliar with Noritz products, and they offer units that use PVC venting options for exhaust and intake, that make install very flexible if you run into issues with venting. 3in pvc can go like 150ft including bends. Rennai may offer the same, I am not sure though.

You will need (should have) a valve kit for servicing, so that will add to your cost.

Hard to figure prices without seeing the install. I am not a big fan of tankless. There are times when it makes sense financially and can save you money, your situation is not really one of them, but if you go into it understanding that it is a luxury appliance, then the extra cost of install and maintenance wont surprise you.

Edit: the second and third link are pvc vent type, and should make your install a bit easier, but again, without seeing your install, it's tough to say. Im in NC, so outdoor units are an option that makes sense sometimes, I don't know about your area though.
ECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

View gap1927's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
Just priced a tankless here in ontario like 1750 from our supplier... pv hw tank was 1250 ish thanks to trumps tariffs and our canadian peso..
Rheem 50 gal power vent is $950 at Home Cheapo and a Bradford-White is around $1300 at Wolseley, WTF? Is the BW really worth that much more?? Same warranty too.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
gap1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #9

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

I've got a large tankless in my house and it's awesome. Plenty of water for multiple showers running at once. We have family visit regularly and often have 2/3 showers running.

I've got 2 brothers, 2 sisters, parents, uncle, neighbors, all with tankless. Descaling is super easy if that's a concern.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I put a takagi in my sisters house at least 15 years ago and havent touvhed it since and its still working no issues....except now that I stated that, im gona wait for the phone call its not working now...
dhal22 likes this.