Corp Roto-Rooter - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By V.A Hydro-ooter
  • 3 Post By Tommy plumber
  • 3 Post By V.A Hydro-ooter
  • 2 Post By Stratocaster626
  • 1 Post By skoronesa

Old 07-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #1

View Stratocaster626's Photo Album My Photos
Default Corp Roto-Rooter

Anybody else work for Roto-Rooter corporate? Our Oakland franchise got sold to them & was wondering what other people think of Corp. I've always worked for franchises. Also wasn't sure what forum to post this on. .
Stratocaster626 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Search the old threads, you'll get several answers.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:52 PM   #3

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

I actually used to like working there. Then something changed from the corporate office and it went downhill.

When I started I was getting 32% off labor and profits from material sales. I was told I could get up to 38% after several years and if I got my Plumbing license (in Virginia you're not required to have a plumbing license if you are working under someone else). I had to supply my own vehicle, hand tools and snake cables. They did matching and then some on the 401k which was great.

Then things changed. They had a meeting and informed us we would be all going down to 18 to 25 percent depending on skills and seniority. We still had to supply our own vehicles, hand tools and we'd all have to get our vans lettered with their logo. If you left the company you would have to get the decals removed at your own expense and if the paint no longer matches that's too bad for you. They tried to tell us it would even out to before because we'd no longer have to pay for snake cables...

I was in the excavation sales department and the top drain cleaner. The day they told me they were no longer paying me for my video inspections was the day I quit.

It wasn't all bad. Thanks to their advertising and clout I was rarely on standby. I can't say that for all because I would get priority over less skilled technicians. A lot of them would complain about how much time they spent on standby.

I was making over $100k a year under the old plan. When they switched to the new plan I was still making over $90k a year but I was only working 4 days a week. The other days I did my own thing in preparation to go out on my own.

I saw the direction they were going so I started planning my exit months before. They were hiring guys who had no business doing plumbing unsupervised. One guy didn't even know how to use a screwdriver when he was hired! Another flooded 2 houses after not tightening angle stops all the way. He got 1 month of "plumbing training" before he was sent out on his own. I kept getting sent to fix the newbies' mistakes until I told them I was going to quit if they kept sending me on callbacks.

I'm not sure how it works when they buy out another company. I know they bought one or two small companies in areas that were on the outskirts of our service areas. They kept their names and I don't know how anyone could tell they were part of Chemed unless you had inside information.
breplum, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V.A Hydro-ooter For This Useful Post:
Tango (07-02-2019), Tommy plumber (07-02-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #4

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I never worked for RR but I interviewed with their mgr. to see if I wanted to get on board. Long story short, I decided that I didn't want to be hired by them. Same spiel, I had to get my own van, it had to be a newer model too, they won't let you drive an older model, I had to let them letter my van {no magnets allowed}.

They are what's known as a "sales culture" oriented business.

The mgr. told me that on drain cleaning calls I'm supposed to walk into a customer's home with a gallon jug of drain cleaner and ask the customer if I can sit this down here inside their door. The idea being to get the product in the door and then to sell that as an add-on. That's not for me. I do not like pushy salesmen. So I don't want to be a pushy salesman to my customers.

And by the way, the customers are 'clients' to the pushy sales-oriented companies. And the plumbers are 'technicians.' I even have a problem with the words that they choose. Everything that they do is carefully designed to add money to the bill. I mean we are all trying to make a living, but let's be fair. If it's legal, moral and ethical then that's ok to bill a customer. But as we all know sometimes it's not legal, moral and ethical.
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

This threads raises the question, if you have to supply a truck or drain machine you are no longer an employee you are an employer.

You will get a nice letter in the mail you are not a contractor, you have committed lots of bad things and you will get fines and have to pay on back taxes.
Tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

If you have to supply the hand tools you are an employee.

If you have to supply the hand tools and the drain snaking equipment you better get paid more for it.

If you are supplying the hand tools, the special equipment AND a van, either you're a real idiot who is being taken to the cleaners or you have addiction issues and can't hold a job long enough to get a license.

I know that in some areas rooter franchising works great. I know that some rooter employees with good franchises are fine upstanding plumbers. I understand that for many guys if they didn't own the van they would trash it and rooter would spend a ton on vehicle maintenance because of abuse.

But I don't live in one of those areas. Where I live if you have rooter in your name you are at the bottom of the barrel. Where I live they don't even bother lettering the vans sometimes because they guys flake off that quick.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (07-03-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:42 PM   #7

View V.A Hydro-ooter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
If you have to supply the hand tools you are an employee.

If you have to supply the hand tools and the drain snaking equipment you better get paid more for it.

If you are supplying the hand tools, the special equipment AND a van, either you're a real idiot who is being taken to the cleaners or you have addiction issues and can't hold a job long enough to get a license.

I know that in some areas rooter franchising works great. I know that some rooter employees with good franchises are fine upstanding plumbers. I understand that for many guys if they didn't own the van they would trash it and rooter would spend a ton on vehicle maintenance because of abuse.

But I don't live in one of those areas. Where I live if you have rooter in your name you are at the bottom of the barrel. Where I live they don't even bother lettering the vans sometimes because they guys flake off that quick.

Wow. I can assure I am no idiot and I've never done drugs in my life.

I chose to go to Roto-rooter because they were offering the highest pay percentage, had the best benefits, were willing to pay for any classes and application fees required to get my license and the original manager was awesome.

I got a few job offers at other places that offered a company vehicle but their pay rate was lower or they only offered hourly pay. I had 99 percent of the hand tools already. My biggest expense was obviously my vehicle. I bought it for $5,000 and sold it after I quit for $3,000. That was a bit over 5 years later so I'd say it worked out in my favor versus taking a lower percentage just so I wouldn't have to supply and maintain my own vehicle.

I know some branches are different but ours didn't give us quotas to meet. I think they get a bad rap because of certain branches and technicians. I worked with some who would try to sell jobs that weren't needed. I was great at selling work but I never tried to push things that weren't needed.

I know the branch to our north had quotas, reprimanded techs if they didn't sell enough, did weekly sales training, etc. I would have never taken a job working for that branch. That's the direction my branch was heading so I planned my exit months in advance.
V.A Hydro-ooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 AM   #8

View Stratocaster626's Photo Album My Photos

Since our Roto-Rooter franchise was bought by Corp i already had the van & everything. No ones mentioned anything about buying it but i have heard about that. Our Shop was all hourly so we just did our job & provided the customers good service without the need to upsell. But now that it's going to commison i know everything is going to change with guys doing half ass jobs to blow through jobs faster. Or even worse claim that a line is "unclearable" just to push a line replacement. If going commission means we make more money as they claim I'm all for it. But screwing customers isn't my game.
skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Stratocaster626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #9

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.A Hydro-ooter View Post
Wow. I can assure I am no idiot and I've never done drugs in my life.

I didn't say you were or had and I hope you didn't take my post personally.

I was not making a broad generalization about all rooter operations, just the ones locally.

MASTRPLUMB likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote