Company tools. What grinds my gears - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree49Likes

Old 07-27-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Company tools. What grinds my gears

Is it crazy to think a mechanical company with 60 + employees would have more then then 5 sds max rotary hammer drills.
Seems like every other day we have to call 10 guys and run around to swap equiptment.

Multi million dollar company BUY ONE FOR EVERYONES TRUCK or atleast 20 of them.

Iv already spent my own money on grinder, jigsaw, sawzall, circ saw etc etc...why, because its convient an im not using the wrong tool for a job and im not running a 100 foot cord an a generator drag it through a crawl to make 1 cut.

Any buiss owners want to chime in here an tell my why some places are so cheap.
Some tools automatically make you $$ spend $800 on a rot drill an 1 job pays for it
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 05:43 PM   #2

View ken53's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Is it crazy to think a mechanical company with 60 + employees would have more then then 5 sds max rotary hammer drills.
Seems like every other day we have to call 10 guys and run around to swap equiptment.

Iv already spent my own money on grinder, jigsaw, sawzall, circ saw etc etc...why, because its convient an im not using the wrong tool for a job and im not running a 100 foot cord an a generator drag it through a crawl to make 1 cut.

Some tools automatically make you $$ spend $800 on a rot drill an 1 job pays for it
If you buy it he doesn't have to.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
ken53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

The last bigger company I worked for (many moons ago) was the same, not enough big tools, to go around. they encouraged us to use our own hand/power tools, BUT then they’d go missing.. The boss/owner would ***** cuz it would take too long to get jobs done, yet he Didn’t supply us with what was needed, you’d spend 1/2 a day running around trying to gather up what you needed.
To Top that off, he was Very cheap, I remember the day he bought a used jack hammer, from a rental company, he was so excited about the deal he got.
The thing barely worked,You’d get electrocuted every once in a while and it constant broke down.

The next guy I worked for didnt always Have what we needed, but he’d buy/rented/borrowed whatever was needed Before we started big jobs. He was a good guy, ran a good business that was building, too bad he couldn’t put down the bottle... he ended up losing everything(house, cottage, wife, 4 kids...)
Last I heard from him, he was living in a rooming house, I fed him a few jobs until he screwed up and walked away with some of my $$$.
Logtec is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2020, 05:58 PM   #4

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

my old boss was like that. 14 story rough in. 12 guys and only 3 combo kits. too cheap to buy more and then wonder why they didnt make much money on that job. effing idiots. glad im not there anymore. that job was an hour away. i had a fully stocked van and refused to take the tools off of my truck. we always had to take a 10 passenger van to the site. poor management.
breplum likes this.
SchmitzPlumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:04 PM   #5

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos

"they encouraged us to use our own hand/power tools, BUT then they’d go missing"

Just like the company tools.

My policy: If you need a tool, tell me. Most likely, you'll have one in a day or two.
But, if you need it just so it's in your job box, I'm not happy.
MACPLUMB777 and jakewilcox like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post

because then it will be too easy to steal them, several tools missing from hundreds is not noticed for a long time, 1 tool from 5 will be noticed at the end of the day....
MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken53 View Post
If you buy it he doesn't have to.

That's not the case here. He said he has his own but the other guys do not. The boss is shooting himself in the foot. The guys aren't going to buy their own big hiltis.

At my company I am the only one who bought their own little hilti, I have the cordless makita version because I can't stand cords. If it breaks they will replace it like they did my cordless sawzall.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbus View Post
"they encouraged us to use our own hand/power tools, BUT then they’d go missing"

Just like the company tools.

My policy: If you need a tool, tell me. Most likely, you'll have one in a day or two.
But, if you need it just so it's in your job box, I'm not happy.

I think he meant when the boss expected them to front tools he should have paid for they would pretend they went missing.

I agree, certain less used tools should remain at the shop in the tool crib. That's what we do.For instance, Only a handful of us carry pipe taps but there is a complete set to 2" at the shop. Same goes for big hiltis, they all stay at the shop. A couple install guys who do a ton of anchors have shop bought little hiltis on their vans.

Our guys aren't really tool nuts so they don't ask for tools they will almost never use. Only one other guy and myself like to have every tool and we pay for those special/oft used tools out of our own pockets.

MACPLUMB777 likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 07-27-2020, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
because then it will be too easy to steal them, several tools missing from hundreds is not noticed for a long time, 1 tool from 5 will be noticed at the end of the day....

That to me is just an accountability issue. One of our managers is responsible for maintaining the tools and checking the sign out sheet. If a guy calls back or signs out a tool he should already have on the van then it gets addressed and if it isn't found that is kept in mind when bonuses/pay raises come around.

A 200$ tool is equivalent to $0.10cents an hour over a full year.

Also, if a bunch of your guys think it's okay to steal from you than maybe you're a terrible person. If one guy is stealing than he is the terrible person and should be fired. When a tool goes missing ask them all about it and call the guilty sounding ones in for a meeting so they can all look at each other and decide who gets spanked. Tell the truth and make it right and there needn't be a punishment. Works well with my children, issues get sorted real fast.

MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:36 PM   #10

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post

That to me is just an accountability issue. One of our managers is responsible for maintaining the tools and checking the sign out sheet. If a guy calls back or signs out a tool he should already have on the van then it gets addressed and if it isn't found that is kept in mind when bonuses/pay raises come around.

A 200$ tool is equivalent to $0.10cents an hour over a full year.

Also, if a bunch of your guys think it's okay to steal from you than maybe you're a terrible person. If one guy is stealing than he is the terrible person and should be fired. When a tool goes missing ask them all about it and call the guilty sounding ones in for a meeting so they can all look at each other and decide who gets spanked. Tell the truth and make it right and there needn't be a punishment. Works well with my children, issues get sorted real fast.

yeah Ill have to draw the line at bending them over my knee and spanking their azzes....
skoronesa, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.