Cheapest ways to raise a manhole base and top - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree16Likes

Old 08-25-2019, 02:08 PM   #1

View sparky's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cheapest ways to raise a manhole base and top

I have put in a oil water separator tank and it has two manhole lids over the aces holes,I need to raise them up 8-10 inches and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to use to raise these up without spending a fortune,let the ideas come,thanks
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky View Post
I have put in a oil water separator tank and it has two manhole lids over the aces holes,I need to raise them up 8-10 inches and was wondering if anyone has any ideas on what to use to raise these up without spending a fortune,let the ideas come,thanks
post a picture of what your dealing with..
sparky and Tango like this.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
The Old (antique) Master

View PLUMBER_BILL's Photo Album My Photos
Default couple of questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
What is the diameter of what you need?
What is the flooring ... concrete? ect?
Any load bearing like walking or driving over?
If you alter the interceptor will it make you liable in any way?
Will the owner, or the manufacture allow you to do it??

Assume 4" Take a flat closet flange glue it to a piece of sch 40 pipe, on the top side glue on a 4" x FIP adapter with a flush countersunk plug. You can bolt through the flange to secure the lower side w/ S.S. bolts. Bigger than 4 you will have to weld something up just watch the materials { rusting, corrosion could be a service problem in the future!
Seems like you are buying this for a long time.}
sparky and MASTRPLUMB like this.
A little of this and a little of that
PLUMBER_BILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Just get some bricks and mortar. Or make two rings and use some concrete to cast some risers.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #5

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Just make sure the lids are sturdy. This had to have been a sh!tty couple days.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/oregon-wo...trapped-sewage
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
sparky (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #6

View sparky's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
Canít I donít have a smart phone,just need to raise the manhole base up say 10inches,what Iím thinking about doing is get me a concrete storm drain with the coupling end on it and take my gas chopsaw and cut whatever width I need for these,need about a 30inch wide concrete culvert
sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Canít I donít have a smart phone,just need to raise the manhole base up say 10inches,what Iím thinking about doing is get me a concrete storm drain with the coupling end on it and take my gas chopsaw and cut whatever width I need for these,need about a 30inch wide concrete culvert
my old fashioned flip phone takes pictures or buy a digital camera for a few bucks...
sparky and skoronesa like this.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
What? No cell phone that take pictures? How do you take service calls during work? Then you don't take pictures at all on service calls? What about an inexpensive digital camera?
sparky and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:45 PM   #9

Quote:
why dont you ask the building dept what code is? because if you do something and it collapses or plans werent drawn up by an engineer for manholes in a public place you can be liable for all damages, yes sounds stupid, but just look at the crazy lawsuits all over the place..
Old 08-26-2019, 11:53 PM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
What? No cell phone that take pictures? How do you take service calls during work? Then you don't take pictures at all on service calls? What about an inexpensive digital camera?

Most of our guys just had flip phones until 3 years ago when they said they would give us 50$ a month towards our phone bill if we had a smartphone. Some of the guys didnt even have cell phones until then. We have uhf radios in every van and most of our customers still have house phones. The shop has a 100' uhf antenna pole.

Tango likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote