Cast Iron - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree24Likes

Old 07-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #1

View czplumbing's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cast Iron

So I priced this project out for a new contractor, spent all morning this past Sunday from 5 am to 930 am. I figured I do it early so I could spend time with the kids. Sent it over yesterday morning contractor say hey every thing looks good but I forgot to mention its all cast iron. Now I normally don't do cast iron except roof drains. I'm guessing my normal fixture price is going to be double for cast iron price? Cast iron is a lot of work
czplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Compared to what? ABS, PVC? Double...more like triple. Moving all the stuff around is a lot of wasted time plus more hangers plus setting all the clamps. Then walking to and from the pile and snapping them.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (07-28-2020)
Old 07-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #3

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Oh yeah, definitely a lot more labor intensive.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2020, 11:11 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by czplumbing View Post
So I priced this project out for a new contractor, spent all morning this past Sunday from 5 am to 930 am. I figured I do it early so I could spend time with the kids. Sent it over yesterday morning contractor say hey every thing looks good but I forgot to mention its all cast iron. Now I normally don't do cast iron except roof drains. I'm guessing my normal fixture price is going to be double for cast iron price? Cast iron is a lot of work
do you normally do hubbed CI under ground? and above ground he is looking for NH or hubbed? just materials alone will be at least double or more, who knows with the crazy material pricing, and dont forget to tell contractor the price is good for 30 days and any material rise in cost must be additional if it goes past the next 30 days....along with increased labor costs....figure double on that....I have done alot of CI..do you have all the CI cutters and tools needed for it?..if not thats more cost...
RichRock, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

And oh, any rain water leaders? Plan on welding some rods and brackets to hold the joints in place.
skoronesa likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
And oh, any rain water leaders? Plan on welding some rods and brackets to hold the joints in place.
what do you mean? hold the joints together? the leaders going up the side of the house are usually the aluminum leaders and then they can go into CI underground..
Old 07-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #7

View czplumbing's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
do you normally do hubbed CI under ground? and above ground he is looking for NH or hubbed? just materials alone will be at least double or more, who knows with the crazy material pricing, and dont forget to tell contractor the price is good for 30 days and any material rise in cost must be additional if it goes past the next 30 days....along with increased labor costs....figure double on that....I have done alot of CI..do you have all the CI cutters and tools needed for it?..if not thats more cost...
yeah i have a snap cutter and a chop saw. try to use the chop saw for most of my cuts. I don't do cast under ground no longer code for years now . Pvc underground is better . I think PVC is better all around . we all know what cast iron looks like inside after 10 years !
skoronesa and ShtRnsdownhill like this.
czplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #8

View jakewilcox's Photo Album My Photos

Any idea what would happen if you pushed back and asked why it needs to be CI? I think you would be doing your client a service to push back.

In my area there are a lot of local codes pertaining to pipe type in commercial settings and we run a lot of CI because of those codes. But really, abs or pvc are better for DWV in almost all situations; plus they are way easier to work with (as we all know.....).
skoronesa likes this.
jakewilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:16 PM   #9

Quote:
yeah i have a snap cutter and a chop saw. try to use the chop saw for most of my cuts. I don't do cast under ground no longer code for years now . Pvc underground is better . I think PVC is better all around . we all know what cast iron looks like inside after 10 years !
many inspectors will break your balls for using PVC for under ground, as they think it is amateur hour..and then they will make sure its in a bed of sand and no rocks and all that BS....I agree PVC will be around long after most of us are pushing up daisies but it doesnt change what some inspectors feel..this may be changing now, but when the code changed they didnt want to see it under ground...
a chop saw on CI..your crazy..that will slow you down to nothing..just use a scissor snap cutter, very fast to use....much faster than the ratchet cutters...
and I would keep a bucket of hot water in the cooler weather to soak the tight seals in and a little duck butter and the CI slide in easy....with this heat now, just put them in the sun for a few minutes and they will soften up..
sparky likes this.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:26 PM   #10
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
15 grand to plumb for a typical 2 storey home in abs and pex would probably be 50k in c/i
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote