canister masks - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 4 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By roving plumber

Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM   #1

View roving plumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default canister masks

Any of you use a canister mask on a fairly regular basis for residential work? I have to do a job that I'll be cutting quite a bit of cast with a cutoff saw, never had a canister mask just wondering how restrictive they feel or any other issues you guys have found.
roving plumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

I use this for welding and anything that kicks up alot of smoke or fine particles into the air....comfy to wear and easy breathing, it stops alot of bad stuff from going into your lungs..
https://www.amazon.com/Half-Mask-Res...ing+respirator
roving plumber likes this.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #3
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

I have used canister masks for years (not needed much anymore) every canister is certified for particular protection level. All canister masks have a trackable number for each different type of canister that will tell you what is rated to filter.

The one ShtRnsdown listed is a particulate & oil based vapor I think. Low level filtration. To verify what it covers you need to look at the NIOSH rating, which has to be listed.

If dust, metal, wood, some vapor your probably good. Molds, chemicals, nasty vapors you have best go with a canister and make sure the canister number is rated for what you want.

These do tend to dry your sinuses out.

The better canister masked will have a double silicone seal.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
I have used canister masks for years (not needed much anymore) every canister is certified for particular protection level. All canister masks have a trackable number for each different type of canister that will tell you what is rated to filter.

The one ShtRnsdown listed is a particulate & oil based vapor I think. Low level filtration. To verify what it covers you need to look at the NIOSH rating, which has to be listed.

If dust, metal, wood, some vapor your probably good. Molds, chemicals, nasty vapors you have best go with a canister and make sure the canister number is rated for what you want.

These do tend to dry your sinuses out.

The better canister masked will have a double silicone seal.
here are the specs for the miller..good for lots of bad stuff..more than just dust...

Product features

• Fits easily under most welding helmets
  • Large non-return exhaust valve for reduced user fatigue
  • Standards: NIOSH

Product description

The half mask respirator together with Ellipse HEPA air filters (Included) give protection against hazardous and toxic dust particles, fumes and mist metal.
GAN likes this.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Are you referring to this types? This is about only half the masks I have. I have more masks and cartridge in several milk crates.

What ShtRnsdownhill linked to is a P-100 filter mask. You will need P-100 filters for most applications to protect against dust. If you look in the picture you can have pancakes(More common). You can use plastic cartridges used most often under a face shield if you are going to grind bevels all day or welding helmet.

The one who have a pink stripe and yellow stripe are P-100 plus activated charcoal for organic vapors. (Ex. paint, solvents)

Most comfortable are 3M brand. All you need now is to see if you need is a small, medium or large. Most people need medium.

Some places I worked you had to keep it on all the time, not fun. If you are going to cut CI keep your mask on at least 5-10 minutes after cutting as dust is still in the air. Keep some alcohol pads handy if you want to disinfect and clean it a little and wash in soapy water when dirty.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

On one job I would wear the Organic Vapor cartridges most of the day because we were gluing 6" to 14" PVC pipe with huge paint brushes or a paint roller. We were piping an Olympic size swimming pool and they evacuated half the job site as the fumes of the glue were so strong. They had to bring in large fans to try and get the solvent fumes out.

And guess what, looks like I was the only smart one wearing a mask, all the other guys were "tough guys" and breathed in that $hit, it will surely shorten their lifespan quite a bit with cancer.
Plumbus likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

Default mask

Thanks for the responses, I went with the 3M (bayonet? style) the cartridges are just for non-harmful particles and odors. It looks like I can buy other filters for fumes or vapors if i need.
Attached Thumbnails
canister masks-win_20190124_09_08_06_pro.jpg  

Tango likes this.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
On one job I would wear the Organic Vapor cartridges most of the day because we were gluing 6" to 14" PVC pipe with huge paint brushes or a paint roller. We were piping an Olympic size swimming pool and they evacuated half the job site as the fumes of the glue were so strong. They had to bring in large fans to try and get the solvent fumes out.

And guess what, looks like I was the only smart one wearing a mask, all the other guys were "tough guys" and breathed in that $hit, it will surely shorten their lifespan quite a bit with cancer.
Reminds me of a huge shop I worked on (this was typical on multiple site though) in North Dakota, some of the guys doing the epoxy on the floors wouldn"t wear any masks. These guys were dumping it out of 55gal drums, that stuff gives me an instant splitting headache.