Business owners - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Old 04-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
PHD in 60105P

View Mr-Green's Photo Album My Photos
Default Business owners

At what point in your career did you decide to go out on your own? And why?
Mr-Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #2

View Pacificpipes's Photo Album My Photos

Tired of getting layed off at the end of big jobs. There's like 5 big companies in town and all the plumbers just circle around when they get the jobs.

I had wanted to start a company for awhile so one day the company I worked for closed. I got the call looked at my girlfriend and said its time.

Really proud of what I've accomplished in the last few years.
Pacificpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacificpipes For This Useful Post:
760GWS (04-26-2016), dhal22 (04-30-2016), Mr-Green (04-26-2016), mtfallsmikey (04-28-2016), panther (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 04:13 PM   #3
PHD in 60105P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacificpipes
Tired of getting layed off at the end of big jobs. There's like 5 big companies in town and all the plumbers just circle around when they get the jobs. I had wanted to start a company for awhile so one day the company I worked for closed. I got the call looked at my girlfriend and said its time. Really proud of what I've accomplished in the last few years.
Kind of the reason I've been considering it lately. This feast or famine **** is getting old. Last year I worked for about 7 different contractors in about 4 different states, and this year is looking like a repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

View panther's Photo Album My Photos

The economy helped me make my decision. Companies that put most or all of their stock into track homes folded left and right here. I went to work for a fire restoration co as their plumber and then they closed. I had my license by then and just started putting my name out there through friends in other trades and things took off. It's been wonderful ever since. I can't see myself ever working for a company again.
panther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panther For This Useful Post:
760GWS (04-26-2016), Mr-Green (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #5
Hydro Mechanic

View moonapprentice's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
The economy helped me make my decision. Companies that put most or all of their stock into track homes folded left and right here. I went to work for a fire restoration co as their plumber and then they closed. I had my license by then and just started putting my name out there through friends in other trades and things took off. It's been wonderful ever since. I can't see myself ever working for a company again.
Why did they fold with track homes?
moonapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #6
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Green View Post
Kind of the reason I've been considering it lately. This feast or famine **** is getting old. Last year I worked for about 7 different contractors in about 4 different states, and this year is looking like a repeat.
What you aren't seeing is the big picture. Those companies you worked for are doing the feast and famine thing, too. The owners aren't doing that well.

I did a study using the states open database. 1% of plumbing businesses last longer than 5 years. Of those, 90% were doing HVAC; 10% were OMS. Don't get me wrong: there's successful plumbing shops all over the place. But for every success there are literally 99 failures.

If I was smart, I wouldn't be a plumber. Hell, if I was 40 years younger, I'd be looking at computers, not pooters.

I started plumbing knowing I would be my own boss. Right from Day 1, I studied what the business models were doing.
GAN (04-27-2016), Letterrip (04-26-2016), Mr-Green (04-27-2016), mtfallsmikey (04-28-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
Pipes & pucks

View hroark2112's Photo Album My Photos

I got fired from my job when the new "VP of Project Management" wanted to bring in his friend. Before that I got fired from 2 companies after my boss got fired and they cleaned house of everyone he brought in. I decided if I had to work for an a-hole, I might as well work for myself.

Hit 5 years this month.
hroark2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hroark2112 For This Useful Post:
brass plumbing (04-30-2016), dhal22 (04-30-2016), Master Mark (04-27-2016), Mr-Green (04-27-2016), newyorkcity (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 09:46 PM   #8
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

I was offered a full share in the old mans company after 15 years. I didn't like him. Just bad blood. I just want a name of my own.
67 A+ Angie's list reviews 5 years later. 2 kids, health insurance, money to remodel. God has truly blessed the work of my hands.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KoleckeINC For This Useful Post:
Beck327 (05-06-2016), dhal22 (04-30-2016), GAN (04-27-2016), Letterrip (04-27-2016), Master Mark (05-05-2016), Mr-Green (04-27-2016), mtfallsmikey (04-28-2016), newyorkcity (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 01:37 AM   #9
PHD in 60105P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumber
What you aren't seeing is the big picture. Those companies you worked for are doing the feast and famine thing, too. The owners aren't doing that well. I did a study using the states open database. 1% of plumbing businesses last longer than 5 years. Of those, 90% were doing HVAC; 10% were OMS. Don't get me wrong: there's successful plumbing shops all over the place. But for every success there are literally 99 failures. If I was smart, I wouldn't be a plumber. Hell, if I was 40 years younger, I'd be looking at computers, not pooters. I started plumbing knowing I would be my own boss. Right from Day 1, I studied what the business models were doing.
It's hard times for everyone Im sure, but I can't keep doing this. I tried going back to college, but it's kinda hard when your chasing outages to pay the bills.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 AM   #10
TX Plumber

View Best Darn Sewer's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr-Green View Post
It's hard times for everyone Im sure, but I can't keep doing this. I tried going back to college, but it's kinda hard when your chasing outages to pay the bills.
What does that mean? "Chasing outages"?
Best Darn Sewer is offline   Reply With Quote