Brain lock down rant. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree43Likes

Old 10-17-2020, 08:12 PM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Brain lock down rant.

Sorry in advance but i just need to vent a little.

So I'm starting to fill out papers to start my own little business this weekend. I have asked my wife for help with ideas for a company name before. She comes up with stupid things like its a big joke so no help there. I have thought of names before but never came up with anything good. I feel like it should be easy to say and scalable if I were ever to expand. I have wrapped my head around it all day long and I'm completely blank and getting frustrated that such a little thing seems so difficult.

Sorry had to complain a little today.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #2

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post

So I'm starting to fill out papers to start my own little business this weekend. I have asked my wife for help with ideas for a company name before. She comes up with stupid things like its a big joke so no help there. I have thought of names before but never came up with anything good. I feel like it should be easy to say and scalable if I were ever to expand. I have wrapped my head around it all day long and I'm completely blank and getting frustrated that such a little thing seems so difficult.

Personally I think the best overall is usually the classic, LASTNAME Plumbing & Heating & Electric & Appliance Repair & Snake Draining & Excavation & Apple Picking......

What specifically do you do? Just plumbing or heat and ac too? I know you're danish, do you have an accent? Danish Waterworks or Danish Plumbing would be memorable if you have an accent. You want something that sticks in peoples brains.

OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Personally I think the best overall is usually the classic, LASTNAME Plumbing & Heating & Electric & Appliance Repair & Snake Draining & Excavation & Apple Picking......

What specifically do you do? Just plumbing or heat and ac too? I know you're danish, do you have an accent? Danish Waterworks or Danish Plumbing would be memorable if you have an accent. You want something that sticks in peoples brains.

Your suggestion would be the easiest. Unfortunately that is exactly the opposite of what I'm looking for. For the sake of scaling or possibly selling some day in the future I dont want my name on it and also no one can say my name right so its a big no on that.

I do have an accent yes and in this area Scandinavian genes are plenty and all things Scandinavian is popular here so that would be a plus.

I do plumbing only, but pretty much all aspects of it in residential and small commercial.

I'm just frustrated that my head is smoking from trying to come up with a simple name. When I had a window cleaning company in my young days 20-23 years old. I used my last name followed by window cleaning, easy and simple but that was back in Denmark where people could pronounce the name.

skoronesa likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 08:49 PM   #4
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I will tell you what my master told me. “YOUR name is your reputation. Youth business should be YOUR name.”
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I will tell you what my master told me. “YOUR name is your reputation. Youth business should be YOUR name.”
And that is good if you know you only want to be 1 shop with a few employees. Now what about if you ever want to grow and have multiple locations?

I'm not thinking way ahead of myself here but I do know myself well enough and I would not settle for getting a couple employees and staying that way forever. I believe that you move forward and grow or you slowly die. Simply put I keep seeking new challenges so I might as well come up with a good name that would also fit for a bigger growing company.

Again no one can say my name right with out a good long time to practice so it would not be easy to remember and it would not sound good answering the phone.

Old 10-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #6
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
And that is good if you know you only want to be 1 shop with a few employees. Now what about if you ever want to grow and have multiple locations?

I'm not thinking way ahead of myself here but I do know myself well enough and I would not settle for getting a couple employees and staying that way forever. I believe that you move forward and grow or you slowly die. Simply put I keep seeking new challenges so I might as well come up with a good name that would also fit for a bigger growing company.

Again no one can say my name right with out a good long time to practice so it would not be easy to remember and it would not sound good answering the phone.

My master has thought me more than I could ever write down. Plumbing wise, obviously, but business too.

He had five trucks and eight guys at one time. He had an office girl, and all he was was a firefighter.

Going big doesn’t always work. One or two crews with trusted experienced workers, sure. If you can find them.

Seriously. Employees are your downfall. Don’t even think of more until you’re established.

Your name is your reputation! That’s the way in the US anyway.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #7
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Been actually thinking about the same thing,
If i use my last name it might be hard to sell the brand one day when im too old.

On the other hand after dealing with lots of idiots over the past month im seeing how just working for someone is alot less mentally frustrating.
Kinda understanding all of tangos soap opera rants now.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:13 PM   #8

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Kroegers
Lowes
Grainger
Menards
Sexauer
Moen
Kohler
Tim Hortons

The list goes on and on. We have a company in town whose business is more than one last name and those guys with those names died decades ago. Nobody thinks about what Wal-Mart or McDonalds names actually mean, they've built up such a reputation that their actual name is of no consequence.

I still think "Danish Plumbing" sounds nice, then your tagline could be something quaint like "No one will give you a sweeter deal" and your logo could be a pipe wrench gripping a pastry instead of a pipe or fitting.

Maybe you could pick your mothers maiden name or Americanize your own last name. Or, maybe having a funny last name will be a good marketing gimmick too.

Gargalaxy and MACPLUMB777 like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
Been actually thinking about the same thing,
If i use my last name it might be hard to sell the brand one day when im too old.

On the other hand after dealing with lots of idiots over the past month im seeing how just working for someone is alot less mentally frustrating.
Kinda understanding all of tangos soap opera rants now.
Exactly my thoughts. Though opensights make a good point that your name is your reputation. This i have always thought too but I'm not sure it is a good thing if the company grows with multiple locations. Yet if this is a general idea that Americans have then having a name no matter what name it is might be a good thing. Just like "family owned company" is advertised as a good thing even by big companies who has hundreds or thousands of employees to where it is big business and not a small mom and pop shop.

skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 10-17-2020, 10:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Kroegers
Lowes
Grainger
Menards
Sexauer
Moen
Kohler
Tim Hortons

The list goes on and on. We have a company in town whose business is more than one last name and those guys with those names died decades ago. Nobody thinks about what Wal-Mart or McDonalds names actually mean, they've built up such a reputation that their actual name is of no consequence.

I still think "Danish Plumbing" sounds nice, then your tagline could be something quaint like "No one will give you a sweeter deal" and your logo could be a pipe wrench gripping a pastry instead of a pipe or fitting.

Maybe you could pick your mothers maiden name or Americanize your own last name. Or, maybe having a funny last name will be a good marketing gimmick too.

Ok so here it's what I see. Lowes grainger and all of those on your list is 1 simple name standing alone so it represents the store as the stores name. Where as for example jensens plumbing dies nit stand alone as a business name but as a name of who owns the plumbing business. Just as it says (s) at the end to indicate that the plumbing business belongs to jensen. I see a small but noticeable difference. Now if you wanted to calm the business jensen and nothing more than that then fine but I do for some reason believe it is best to have plumbing or plumbing and heating in the name. Maybe its a trades thing what do I know.

I kind of like your idea of "Danish Plumbing" and have thought of it myself before. My thoughts though are that. People will be asking if its some kind of different way to plum. Maybe they'll think "I don't want no stinking foreign weird plumbing" the pipewrench and pastry is a great idea though

skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.