Bad wirsbo - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree33Likes

Old 05-01-2019, 11:36 AM  
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos
Default Bad wirsbo

Are we gunna be ripping out splitting wirsbo eventually .....
Attached Thumbnails
Bad wirsbo-20190501_112718_1556724948825.jpg  

chonkie and skoronesa like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to canuck92 For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-01-2019)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 02:10 PM  

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

do you have more details on what, where it was installed?
looks more like a puncture than split
chonkie and skoronesa like this.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:34 PM  
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Someone will probably be ripping out all the pexes eventually if the chlorine levels keep rising in the public water systems... They warned everyone about the possibility of chlorine hurting the pexes probably 20 years ago.

but its not gonna be me.....

skoronesa likes this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 PM  

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Could it have been a tiny stress fracture from expanding the PEX while it might have been too cold in the winter time and the water finally wore through the fracture? Cold temps are why we don't use expanding PEX here up north.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 08:13 PM  

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Could it have been a tiny stress fracture from expanding the PEX while it might have been too cold in the winter time and the water finally wore through the fracture? Cold temps are why we don't use expanding PEX here up north.

I know a lot of people down south likes the expanding style because you don't restrict the flow and all but my thinking is this.

Think about it as skin. The skin on a pregnant lady gets expanded and because of the stress it creates on the skin stretch marks appear. If you pull or push something away from its original form you stretch it thinner therefore making it weaker.

Expanding might create a strong pressure down on the fitting from the pipe wanting to pull back to its original form but that strong leak free connection does not change the fact that the material now is stretched out and flowing water might more easily wear through that's thinned out part of the pipe that is under a constant stress. Think of the difference in a rubber band. If you try to cut a rubber band with a knife you will find that it takes more force or movement of the knife if the rubber is just laying flat not stretched out. If you stretch out that rubber band you barely have to touch it with a knife and as soon as the first tiny cut is made the band snaps right apart because of the power of the stress held in the material under stress.

This might be an extreme comparison but the physics of it is the same meaning the water can more easily wear through that part of the pipe that is stretched out.

skoronesa likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 PM  
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
do you have more details on what, where it was installed?
looks more like a puncture than split
1-1/4 hot water domestic line, arrived to repair a pin hole leak in the wirsbo, after cutting out an making my repair i turned the water back on and noticed a split.
The split was right where i expanded and put my coupling. I do know how it happend, but wirsbo has been talked about as a high quality product as far as plastic water piping goes so thats why it caught me by suprise.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:55 PM  
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck92 View Post
1-1/4 hot water domestic line, arrived to repair a pin hole leak in the wirsbo, after cutting out an making my repair i turned the water back on and noticed a split.
The split was right where i expanded and put my coupling. I do know how it happend, but wirsbo has been talked about as a high quality product as far as plastic water piping goes so thats why it caught me by suprise.
There's your answer, anything touching hot water fails a lot quicker than the rest.
skoronesa likes this.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:02 PM  

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

did you check and make sure no dirt got on the expander before you used it or any sharp edges that may have caused it, did you cut it out and expand it again? how did that come out, did the pex feel like it was brittle?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:03 AM  
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

if that was the case then you should have used a sharkbite coupling to make the transition to the new stuff....
I dont care to expand old wirsbo pipe for this reason..... and that is what they make sharkbites for.....anyway.....

The expanding ability of the wirsbo pipe is probably its best feature in my opinion.... we have seen many, many homes under forclosure with wirsbo pipe that had totally frozen up and to my suprise their were no breaks in the system at all.... The Delta cartriges froze and broke but the pipe stayed intact.....

with the first case I ran into, I thought it was a miracle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Old 05-02-2019, 08:32 AM  
canuckPlumBbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post

No cold temps its in an isulated storage room.
Brittle wirsbo with lots of calcite build up.
skoronesa likes this.