3” pushes into 4”? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree35Likes

Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #1

View 02stangguy's Photo Album My Photos
Default 3” pushes into 4”?

Got sent to a call yesterday to dig down to sewer and water main where it goes in through the foundation. Customer was getting water in basement coming in from sewer main. I wasn’t the one to sell the job, they just sent me there and told me what to do. So I dig down the the water and sewer. The idea was to seal around the pipes where they go into the wall because they assumed it was ground water. If we were to find a break in either line we would make repair. Got to the water main first and sealed it up. Good to go. Next I dig up the sewer and noticed that a fitting had come apart right by the wall. There are a few inches of 4” abs coming through the wall then the t for cleanout. It looks like the cleanout separates from the piece coming through wall. Next I go inside for the first time to see what’s going on in the basement. As you can see in the picture it looks like they shoved a 3” y into a piece of 4” coming through the wall which is the piece of 4” I see stubbed out outside. I’m assuming they put a few feet of 3” on that y and just pushed it into the 4” outside right? So what’s the right fix for this? Remove that y and reinstall with a 3x4 coupling outside? The whole house drops into that 3” y at the wall then it goes to 4 outside
Attached Thumbnails
3” pushes into 4”?-caf7b2e3-a1e2-48c9-919c-c17aa15a6b8a_1529107454820.jpg  

3” pushes into 4”?-d779e09c-05cf-4243-abab-9a80f820b9ee_1529107478276.jpg  

02stangguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #2

View Bayside500's Photo Album My Photos

in the first picture that looks like the 3" is going into a 4" sleeve through the foundation wall to me.
mtfallsmikey likes this.
Bayside500 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bayside500 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #3

View 02stangguy's Photo Album My Photos

Yes that’s what it looks like to me too then outside you can see that 4” sleeve come through the wall but they glued on a 4” t for the clean out and kept on going with 4” for the rest of the main.
mtfallsmikey likes this.
02stangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02stangguy For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Let me get this straight, you are an apprentice sent on a job alone, no journeyman to guide you. You also don't seem to ask your boss what to do but instead you ask here.

Explain your outfit because it's not smoke anymore but fire.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
gear junkie (06-19-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 11:39 PM   #5

View JohnnieSqueeze's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Let me get this straight, you are an apprentice sent on a job alone, no journeyman to guide you. You also don't seem to ask your boss what to do but instead you ask here.

Tango brings up a great point, as liberal as Canada tends to be, why the hell arent you calling your boss to get his advice?

lol lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tango likes this.
JohnnieSqueeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:07 AM   #6

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post

Please try and go a little easier on him, it’s not his fault he doesn’t know as much as he should. Companies here send “techs” out on their own way quicker than they should. The less you know the more you make for the company. He’s asking questions and trying to learn, that’s more than I see with a lot of people in that position.

I worked for a company back in the day and the only training was sales, no technical. @OpenSights knows what it’s like at these companies, he’s posted about it a few times.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2018, 12:17 AM   #7

well...............
if im understanding this right, I would break the foundation from the exterior until i found the hub from that Y” then see if I could glue a new piece of 3” to it, make sure you sleeve it 1 pipe size larger and seal it well. then increase to 4” on the exterior 3x4 like you said. its tough because you dont have much option to adjust inside unless you offset the stack, which looks like it means cutting off the san tee above your Y, then god knows what that opens up.....

skoronesa likes this.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:18 AM   #8

of call a crete guy and convince them to move their foundation wall 1’ or so out so you can make your repair inside

mtfallsmikey and Tango like this.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:17 AM   #9

View exclamation's Photo Album My Photos

Agree with Johnny - cut out the San tee and replace from there to wherever you can outside - use the 4” that’s already there as a sleeve through the concrete - you can also do it by cutting between the tee and wye and then use a pipe shredder aka socket saver (not messing with you this time - feel too guilty about the putty trick lol) to cut the pipe out of the hub on the bottom of the tee and then just glue a new piece into the bottom of the tee - either way just put new 3” through the 4” and make a proper transition outside
exclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post
Please try and go a little easier on him, it’s not his fault he doesn’t know as much as he should. Companies here send “techs” out on their own way quicker than they should. The less you know the more you make for the company. He’s asking questions and trying to learn, that’s more than I see with a lot of people in that position.

I worked for a company back in the day and the only training was sales, no technical. @OpenSights knows what it’s like at these companies, he’s posted about it a few times.
If that's the case I can understand. It angers me that lousy companies send in kids to work when they are just starting out without much knowledge and charging high rates. And looks like the boss ain't helping either!

I get the complaints saying the rates are expensive and some shop elsewhere even though I explain the difference they might get if they call another outfit. For example in this case. A beginner vs someone with decades of experience.

I would suggest to 02stangguy to describe the company he works for because right now its a hazy story.
Debo22, OpenSights and skoronesa like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
OpenSights (06-16-2018)