12'- 4" B vent supported with band iron only? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Forum > General Plumbing Discussion

Like Tree3Likes

Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 AM   #1

View birmingplumb's Photo Album My Photos
Default 12'- 4" B vent supported with band iron only?

New kitchen -being installed as complete $40k package by new in-laws large kitchen /bath company. Using sub -contractors everything it appears. 8' metalbestos chimney found where cabinet is going-changed to 4" b vent due to furnace removed from vent years ago (90%). Contractor installed b vent from basement thru roof. Finally read install instructions on b vent. Friction type clamps called for. Verticle support called for . None exists-just band iron with probably longer than 1/4" screws which also violate install instructions.

Just called in laws gal. Told her . Am I wrong to question the hangers and penetrations by screws into the double wall carbon monoxide system? I feel bad. I feel like the bearer of bad news all the time. Somebody tell me it will be alright installed as is. ( just frickin band iron) Distance is 18 feet. no support other than band iron. Offset at floor (2-45's to tuck into wall. Manufacturer requires support above offset to support weight . Manufacturer says only can use roof friction support to support 6' feet of b vent.Venting water heater in basement on rach house. Help on what to do call for inspection ? But need old school thoughts. touchy situation Motown
birmingplumb is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 01:51 PM   #2

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

I think you already know the answer. Go with your gut, it's the right thing to do. Don't be the last guy there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plumbdrum For This Useful Post:
GAN (01-27-2017), mtfallsmikey (01-19-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 01:55 PM   #3

indeed-thanks for support
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2017, 03:34 PM   #4

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Carbon monoxide is deadly. I would not be able to sleep at night if I caused the death of someone, {not that you did the work, but now you know about it} especially a child. Now that you are involved, you have to see it through until it is done correctly.
mtfallsmikey and plumbdrum like this.
GAN (01-27-2017), mtfallsmikey (01-19-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 07:28 AM   #5

Default update

Update: Finally got bath company to re-act to concerns. They agreed to either have the guy come back and support the duct properly or refund me. Being "human" I opt to give him a break.Then to my surprise- The guy calls me after he learns of this and he got my number from the general. I explained I wanted it supported properly. He argued it was fine. I explained that 11 contractors on 2 forums around the country all say he is wrong by using band iron only and if he used the 3/4" screws to hold up the 12' riser with band iron it needs to be corrected with new b vent and supported above the offset due to manufacturers requirements and the code. "I'll give you one support" he said. He then got on his high horse and said he knew the inspector and he would just call for inspection because everyone uses band iron"-I then told him I don't think I would do that-your guy who ran my make-up air for my new exhaust hood-used the old cooktop Jenn-air 4" exhaust full of grease that he did not want to pull out -so now my new kitchen has a cold air register under my cooktop and hood that brings smelly grease fumes instead of code required fresh air for make-up. He then said "ok" I will putt in a support.
I slept on it and now ask if I am right before I call the general and tell them I will take the 2nd option I was offered to do the job myself and receive a refund for the b vent (1500). I hesitate to make him look bad but after his phone call it seems he deserves what is coming. Or- is he allowed to use a old grease covered 4" exhaust as a frsh air make up for a hood? Motown
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by birmingplumb View Post
Update: Finally got bath company to re-act to concerns. They agreed to either have the guy come back and support the duct properly or refund me. Being "human" I opt to give him a break.Then to my surprise- The guy calls me after he learns of this and he got my number from the general. I explained I wanted it supported properly. He argued it was fine. I explained that 11 contractors on 2 forums around the country all say he is wrong by using band iron only and if he used the 3/4" screws to hold up the 12' riser with band iron it needs to be corrected with new b vent and supported above the offset due to manufacturers requirements and the code. "I'll give you one support" he said. He then got on his high horse and said he knew the inspector and he would just call for inspection because everyone uses band iron"-I then told him I don't think I would do that-your guy who ran my make-up air for my new exhaust hood-used the old cooktop Jenn-air 4" exhaust full of grease that he did not want to pull out -so now my new kitchen has a cold air register under my cooktop and hood that brings smelly grease fumes instead of code required fresh air for make-up. He then said "ok" I will putt in a support.
I slept on it and now ask if I am right before I call the general and tell them I will take the 2nd option I was offered to do the job myself and receive a refund for the b vent (1500). I hesitate to make him look bad but after his phone call it seems he deserves what is coming. Or- is he allowed to use a old grease covered 4" exhaust as a frsh air make up for a hood? Motown
Here lies the problem with todays litigative way of life, you as a licensed plumber see a dangerous violation and dont take action( like calling the inspector) and down the road something bad happens, you will be liable even though you didnt do the work, so you either fix it to code or get the inspector involved to pass liability on to the municipality...sux, but that is how we live and work nowadays..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShtRnsdownhill For This Useful Post:
GAN (01-27-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Default thanks -

indeed-but this is my house in case u missed it. I am going to do the repair myself and change the makeup air pipe to "new" .Thanks again for your support.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:31 PM   #8

View Buddy's Photo Album My Photos

It can certainly get out of hand very quickly.For instance I even was told that if you see a dangerous situation with a fuel burning appliance your suppose to turn off the gas supply to it and you were there for a completely different issue. Have to admit I have seen some scary things but I wrote it up and had them sign but I did not turn off their hot water or heater
BC73RS likes this.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by birmingplumb View Post
indeed-but this is my house in case u missed it. I am going to do the repair myself and change the makeup air pipe to "new" .Thanks again for your support.
I didnt see that it was your house, but that still doesnt matter, when something bad happens and the insurance company is looking to pin the blame and liability on someone else so they dont have to pay out, they will come after you, holding a license or having knowledge in any trade is a double standard" you should have known better" and if you think it doesnt matter, just call your broker or look at some of the litigation from the construction industry..I know people that do deck building and are not insured or licensed, and they always say, we are just working for friends, and my response is, you can tell the insurance company that when the railing fails and someone gets hurt, its not your friends that will come after you, I have personally seen the insurance company spend hundreds of thousands on long grueling investigations so they dont have to pay out millions, till they can hold someone else liable, and if you did work without insurance, its criminal in my county..you are doing the right thing by fixing it yourself and then get proper inspections..
ShtRnsdownhill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

View BC73RS's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
It can certainly get out of hand very quickly.For instance I even was told that if you see a dangerous situation with a fuel burning appliance your suppose to turn off the gas supply to it and you were there for a completely different issue. Have to admit I have seen some scary things but I wrote it up and had them sign but I did not turn off their hot water or heater
Agree some what, here B.C. we not only have a gas code but also have a "Gas Safety Code" to adhere to. If we see a dangerous deficiency we are liable. I've shut the gas off, removed the handle and called the gas safety branch for finding a cracked heat exchanger on a furnace.
BC73RS is offline   Reply With Quote