Plumbing Professional? - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Forum Support > Site Help and Suggestions

Old 03-09-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
I Married Up

View plbgbiz's Photo Album My Photos
Default Plumbing Professional?

Considering all the different jurisdictions, legal requirements, licenses, registrations, seals, helpers, apprentices, journeymen, masters/contractors, office staff, business operators, retired, quit, drain cleaning, lack of requirements in some areas, different subsets of the trade, different states, even different countries...

What is your definition of a Plumbing Professional?
plbgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 11:23 AM   #2

View dclarke's Photo Album My Photos

I would say someone who makes their living or has in the past made their living in the plumbing/drain cleaning field.
dclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dclarke For This Useful Post:
plbgbiz (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #3

View nhmaster3015's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbgbiz View Post
Considering all the different jurisdictions, legal requirements, licenses, registrations, seals, helpers, apprentices, journeymen, masters/contractors, office staff, business operators, retired, quit, drain cleaning, lack of requirements in some areas, different subsets of the trade, different states, even different countries...

Difficult because the manufacturers reps and salesmen could make a case for inclusion also. And drain cleaners, are those guys really plumbers sure, they clean pipes but then again, the hotel maid cleans toilets
nhmaster3015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nhmaster3015 For This Useful Post:
ToUtahNow (03-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 AM   #4
No Longer at This Address

View ToUtahNow's Photo Album My Photos

plumb∑ing noun \ˈplə-miŋ\
: a system of pipes that carries water through a building

: the work of a plumber : the job of installing and repairing sinks, toilets, water pipes, etc.

Full Definition of PLUMBING

: the act of using a plumb
: a plumber's occupation or trade
a : the apparatus (as pipes and fixtures) concerned in the distribution and use of water in a building
b : an internal system that resembles plumbing; especially : one consisting of conduits or channels for conveying fluids

pro∑fes∑sion∑al adjective \prə-ˈfesh-nəl, -ˈfe-shə-nəl\
: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill

: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession

: paid to participate in a sport or activity

Full Definition of PROFESSIONAL

a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession
b : engaged in one of the learned professions
c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer>
b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier>
c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
: following a line of conduct as though it were a profession
Leach713 (03-10-2014), nhmaster3015 (03-09-2014), plbgbiz (03-09-2014), Redwood (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #5

View Will's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbgbiz View Post

Someone skilled in the planning, superintending, and practical installation, of plumbing and who is familiar with the laws and rules governing the same.

Or someone who is making strides and and following the laws to become the above.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
love2surf927 (03-10-2014), plbgbiz (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
I Married Up

And specifically which of those definitions apply to the banner in the top right corner?

Edit: Referring to Utah's post.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:43 AM   #7
I Married Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhmaster3015 View Post
Difficult because the manufacturers reps and salesmen could make a case for inclusion also. And drain cleaners, are those guys really plumbers sure, they clean pipes but then again, the hotel maid cleans toilets
You make the case NH. How do you define it as it relates to the PZ you wish to see?
The Following User Says Thank You to plbgbiz For This Useful Post:
dclarke (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 AM   #8

View dclarke's Photo Album My Photos

I agree the reps and salesman are professionals in the industry yet they don't do any repair or installation so they would not be plumbing professionals. However some reps and salesman are very good at their jobs and know quite a bit when it comes to troubleshooting a product of theirs. I don't feel that they should be regular contributors on the forum.
dclarke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #9

View Will's Photo Album My Photos

Lets say there is a site for say "Chef Professionals Only", you think there will be a need to include a McDonalds burger flipper????

I'd like to think anyone engaged in the plumbing trade legally and is eager to learn the trade would be welcomed here with open arms. If they are hear for different reasons, I'd hope they would be ignored and would leave on there own account.

This there something wrong with that? I don't really care about the Plumbing Professional Only banner. Its the active members here that give this place a soul, not the the men behind the curtains running the site. We have a standard here for Plumbers engaged in the trade to be welcomed here, that is what made this site what it is/was. Not the rules, there is no license audits here. But naturally if they place stays for us professionals, the non professionals will come and go and leave on there own.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Leach713 (03-10-2014), ToUtahNow (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #10

View nhmaster3015's Photo Album My Photos

We have talked about "sections" here before so here's how I feel. I think there should be a section for reps and sales and here's why. No other site does that and honestly, there should be a place where questions can be asked of those guys that know their product. I guarantee all of us have spent a lot of time talking with manufacturers reps about products and problems and those guys are the go too source for such information. In a way, they are professionals in their product line so yea, it would b nice to be able to wrangle the Sloan rep here if needed but I don't want them posting on the plumbing threads.
nhmaster3015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nhmaster3015 For This Useful Post:
Leach713 (03-10-2014), philoplumb (03-31-2014), plbgbiz (03-09-2014), redbeardplumber (03-09-2014)