Why work on the weekends - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Old 11-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

View jc-htownplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Why work on the weekends

Many big companies work weekends, what about the individuals small guys. Do you guys work on the weekends and why?
jc-htownplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #2

View plumbdrum's Photo Album My Photos

When I was in business I worked every Saturday, mostly 1/2 days and did service jobs. Most customers appreciated the fact that they did not have to take time off of work during the week for simple repairs. Before business when I worked for companies it seemed to be the same policy.
plumbdrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:29 PM   #3

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Very rare I work weekends, when I first started on my own and and didn't have enough customers to work every weekday I would work on weekends because I had days off during the week. Now that I have plenty of work I like to spend the weekend with my family.
The exception is if I'm really backed up or a commercial account can't have the building water shutdown during the week.
Debo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #4

View fixitright's Photo Album My Photos

I work weekends for two reasons.

1. I charge more

2. I take time off in the middle of the week to go fishing, shopping,
and just getting things done without crowds.
fixitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #5
Master Plumber

View plumberkc's Photo Album My Photos

I've worked 4 Sunday's in a row now. At one point I had worked 20+ days straight. Got to get it while the getting is good.
plumberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to plumberkc For This Useful Post:
BC73RS (11-18-2015), dhal22 (11-18-2015), fixitright (11-18-2015), Master Mark (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 01:24 PM   #6

View jc-htownplumber's Photo Album My Photos

I like what my current boss said about it. They work 9-5 Monday through Friday. Why can't I? Granted we aren't 9-5. But we aren't 24/7. I just heard from many people that they hate that they work all the time and miss so much family time. If I was single I probably wouldn't care either. Now we have worked like 5 Saturday's this year when we where really backed up. But it isn't every weekend
jc-htownplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

View Plumbergeek's Photo Album My Photos

I do not work after 5 pm or weekends. I will go on a service call after hours/ weekend if it's a "really good customer".
I say if they want the best they will wait for me, if they chose to call someone else they get to see why they should have waited for me! My family time + recuperation time is very important to me, I see the burnt out plumbers everyday at the parts house & that's not gonna be me!
Plumbergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:22 PM   #8
Mark

View KoleckeINC's Photo Album My Photos

I don't schedule estimates-it's guaranteed work or nothing for the weekend. I won't work Sunday, that's God's day. If you have an emergency I'll shut the water off and come back on Monday.
KoleckeINC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KoleckeINC For This Useful Post:
jc-htownplumber (11-19-2015), Plumbergeek (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
Water Whisperer

View Plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Taking the weekend off with the CLOSED sign on is good for the soul. It's different than the slow days during the week, which isn't really time off because you're waiting for the phone to ring, cleaning the trucks, figuring out why the ___k aren't you getting called.

Taking the weekend off means off. No thinking about it or being a Forum Rat. Go have fun.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

The money is good to work the weekends and we have done it quite a bit over the years.... you consider that you make more doing a job on satruday and sunday that adds up to more than many people make all week or even all month long ....you really cannot pass it up.....

Of course I feel this way it is because I own the business,

the a-holes who used to work for me would not even consider doing overtime.. only under the threat of being fired.....and then they wanted to be paid cash under the table because of taxes.....

how I miss those days...... .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote