PZ brewer”s thread - Page 18 - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)


Like Tree149Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #171
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Re reading, what kind of pasteurization are you talking about?
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2020, 10:03 PM   #172
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I have never really heard of pasteurization after fermentation! The boil kills everything!
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 PM   #173
Senior Member
 
Venomthirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Armpit of Lake Ontario
Posts: 853

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
You speak of something I know nothing about! I follow a group on FB called fermenting for beginners.

We need to talk about this a great deal! I think I can call free to Canada, I’ll check.

Whatsapp brother
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-21-2020, 12:07 AM   #174
Senior Member
 
skoronesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: East Bumfuk, Mississippi
Posts: 3,283

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I have never really heard of pasteurization after fermentation! The boil kills everything!



Yeah, pasteurization is boiling. It just means to bring it to a temp that will kill the unwanted bacteria. So I guess technically maybe you could pasteurize without boiling but given the boiling point of alcohol os so low something will most likely be boiling.







I don't drink so i usually refrain from commenting here in the brewing thread but this is just science facts.








.
OpenSights likes this.
__________________
Want privacy from the diy/hacks? Too bad, the motherland has fallen, freedom is dead.


"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:11 AM   #175
Senior Member
 
Venomthirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Armpit of Lake Ontario
Posts: 853

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I have never really heard of pasteurization after fermentation! The boil kills everything!

You kill the yeast with pasteurization temps around 160 fareinheit.. but you do this once you have you beverage at your carb level you want... you have residual sweetness...



you do this because your yeast will just continue to consume sugar up to mostly around 12-15 18 percent... If it does that in your bottle kaboom... Like some people will use sorbate or a sulphite to end fermentation, however that's not necessarily a 100 percent its going to end it where you want...



there is potential for bottle explosions but basically you get 180 degree water put your sealed bottles in for 10 min with lid covered... and then pull em out let them cool... and your set..



theres other ways to come out with a sweet alcoholic carbonated beverage but... this way uses no chemicals.. and you can use normal sugars...
OpenSights likes this.
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #176
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
You kill the yeast with pasteurization temps around 160 fareinheit.. but you do this once you have you beverage at your carb level you want... you have residual sweetness...



you do this because your yeast will just continue to consume sugar up to mostly around 12-15 18 percent... If it does that in your bottle kaboom... Like some people will use sorbate or a sulphite to end fermentation, however that's not necessarily a 100 percent its going to end it where you want...



there is potential for bottle explosions but basically you get 180 degree water put your sealed bottles in for 10 min with lid covered... and then pull em out let them cool... and your set..



theres other ways to come out with a sweet alcoholic carbonated beverage but... this way uses no chemicals.. and you can use normal sugars...
Never done it. Cold crash, yes. In the beginning I bottled, had one cider over carb, but no bombs.
Venomthirst likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:39 AM   #177
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoronesa View Post
Yeah, pasteurization is boiling. It just means to bring it to a temp that will kill the unwanted bacteria. So I guess technically maybe you could pasteurize without boiling but given the boiling point of alcohol os so low something will most likely be boiling.







I don't drink so i usually refrain from commenting here in the brewing thread but this is just science facts.








.

Brewing is far more complicated than wine, cider and mead. Everything must be completely cleaned and sanitized. When talking your gravity never dump it back into your beer!

You should never have bacteria in your beer unless you’re using Brett or lacto to make a sour. There’s a FB group I follow called Milk The Funk. There’s a lot of really knowledgeable people there on brewing with bacteria. I’m not a fan of sours, but I do appreciate them. Good for gut health!

I’ve always cold crashed. Yeast has never been an issue.
Venomthirst likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:36 PM   #178
Senior Member
 
Venomthirst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Armpit of Lake Ontario
Posts: 853

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Beer is an animal of its own... for me I like variety and different flavours.. beer is cool in that aspect, because theres a million different flavour combinations.....


I like most alcoholic beverages except certain red wines that are heavily oaked.. and some whiskeys/scotch ... If it tastes like tobacco im not interested..
OpenSights likes this.
Venomthirst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #179
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
Beer is an animal of its own... for me I like variety and different flavours.. beer is cool in that aspect, because theres a million different flavour combinations.....


I like most alcoholic beverages except certain red wines that are heavily oaked.. and some whiskeys/scotch ... If it tastes like tobacco im not interested..
Crafting your own beverage is probably my biggest pull into the hobby! The real hook is the obsession of getting better at the craft!

Wednesday I walked down to to my buddy’s brewery to pick up dinner and a growler fill. I tasted a new porter And loved it! It tastes like a porter, but has a clean crisp finish! Going to try to get the recipe.

As much as I don’t like Canadians, seems like the only good ones are plumbers, Canadian whiskey is my go to. I can’t stand Jim or Jack! Jack makes a good vanilla though. A club member introduced me to a whiskey club here called L.A.W.S or Lansing Area Whiskey Society about 8 months or so ago. My collection is only 5 bottles now, but my first pick was Elijah Craig 1789 small batch, or EC1789SB, and has been my favorite so far!
Attached Thumbnails
-ee6fceec-b9ca-4182-bd07-87e890ce2447.jpg  

Venomthirst likes this.

Last edited by OpenSights; 05-22-2020 at 01:30 PM..
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:28 PM   #180
Super Moderator
 
OpenSights's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Grand Ledge, MI
Posts: 6,325

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default

...
Attached Thumbnails
-535f9cd8-1a3f-4c2a-a336-547b18dc50c0.jpeg  

Venomthirst likes this.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | RoofingTalk.com