PZ brewer”s thread - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree181Likes

Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos
Default PZ brewer”s thread

I’m not the only one here. Maybe some of you might want to try. You can make as little as a gallon or ten with the right equipment.

The is a very scientific hobby, but you don’t have to make it complicated if you don’t want to. Extract beers are just as fun as brewing all grain.

Brewing beer first before making wine or cider will give you master skills for everything! Sanitization is the foremost important aspect!

There’s a huge range of aspects to brewing! You can decide what you want to brew! Session beer, <4%, or imperial, 10%+... or go with a barleywine and get up to 25% abv+.

This thread is open to all aspects of making alcohol. Mead, cider, beer, wine, braggot, cysers... distillation is illegal in all 50 states, but discussion is not. I have improved my beer listening to distillers.

Here we can share recipes, how brew day went, ask questions, talk equipment, techniques and general chit chat.

Maybe even a bottle share some day?

It is legal to homebrew in the states. It is illegal to sell homebrew, but is legal to share, or gift homebrew.

Admin, if you diss approve, please delete, but I am well versed in the laws regarding this, at least US laws.
OpenSights is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Super Moderator

This might be a bit advanced right out of the gate, but Jessie put this one out there not too long ago. Outside of the distilling aspect, he does a great job talking about aeration and yeast, the reaction of the yeast and the product.

Venomthirst likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:00 AM   #3

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

lets get down to it and make some moonshine...
OpenSights likes this.
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2020, 01:32 AM   #4

View OldNelly's Photo Album My Photos

I'm going to do up some beer and possibly cider on the weekend.
OpenSights likes this.
OldNelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:01 PM   #5

View Venomthirst's Photo Album My Photos

Awesome.. I can see this thread exploding with everyone being at home.. Just so much more satisfying drinking something hand crafted rather than big chain lagers that taste like water.
OpenSights likes this.
Venomthirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:15 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNelly View Post
I'm going to do up some beer and possibly cider on the weekend.
What’s on the menu?
Old 04-08-2020, 04:32 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
Awesome.. I can see this thread exploding with everyone being at home.. Just so much more satisfying drinking something hand crafted rather than big chain lagers that taste like water.
A couple buddies of mine own a brewery a few blocks from my house. They’re open for take out food and growler fills. Walked down there Saturday and picked up their chocolate stout... I should’ve waited till Sunday. I ran out of the Huggy Bear Brown. Not to worry, they’re back open today, so I’ll head down there in a few.

I’ve helped them on two brew days. Brewing on a seven barrel system is so much fun! My club also has a 7 barrel system. 1-2 times a year we brew a batch. Depending on the grain bill and hops, it’s usually about $30 for 5 gallons of wort. Fire brew was supposed to happen May 9th, but we canceled it. I was anticipating brewing a big RIS beer... so we’re planning on fall now.

My go to commercial beer is Founders All Day IPA. I’ve seen a few clone recipes, but most of them are higher in ABV... I want to clone it to the same or lower gravity.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:50 PM   #8

Tons of breweries in my neck of the woods... wonder how many will weather the storm... I love a good Ipa but a lot of the craft breweries i find overdo the hops... I like bitter but when its so bitter makes it makes you gag.. One was a rye ipa I believe was almost unbearable...

my co workers sister is a brew master and she brews awesome stuff... Tiny little town about an hour from anywhere amazing beer..
OpenSights likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomthirst View Post
Tons of breweries in my neck of the woods... wonder how many will weather the storm
Eight former members of my club have gone pro. Club nickname is The Mafia. One has shut down to upgrade, but everyone else is open for takeout.

They definitely aren’t making a profit right now. I think they might be breaking even, or close to hopefully. That’s why I am trying to buy two growlers a week from them. $28 a week for good beer, help out my friends... I’ll drink to that!
Venomthirst likes this.
Old 04-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Eight former members of my club have gone pro. Club nickname is The Mafia. One has shut down to upgrade, but everyone else is open for takeout.

They definitely aren’t making a profit right now. I think they might be breaking even, or close to hopefully. That’s why I am trying to buy two growlers a week from them. $28 a week for good beer, help out my friends... I’ll drink to that!

Exactly, They know who to call when they need a drain snaked.. plus hopefully you can help them make a little bit to pay the rent and you get to try 2 awesome beers a week
OpenSights likes this.