Non trade work - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree43Likes
  • 10 Post By Debo22
  • 4 Post By Tango
  • 4 Post By Debo22
  • 6 Post By dhal22
  • 4 Post By Tango
  • 2 Post By GAN
  • 2 Post By Wolfe Seacoast
  • 5 Post By OpenSights
  • 1 Post By Tommy plumber
  • 5 Post By PLUMB TIME

Old 04-12-2018, 09:59 PM   #1

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos
Default Non trade work

Does anyone do work outside of your trade? I was installing a ductless/mini split a/c for a friends mom and she half jokingly asked if I would install a new microwave over her range for her. I told her I never installed one before but “if they sell it at Home Depot it can’t be that hard”. I let her know I’ll do my best on the cabinet door cuts and see what happens, worst case scenario is we need new doors.

She’s pushing 80 years old so I figured I wasn’t going to tell her to call some unknown handyman to do it. I’ve known her 30 years so I might as well take care of her.

Here’s the before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Non trade work-3249528e-84ae-4785-a712-13612c91294e.jpg  

Non trade work-8988517c-1959-4888-b294-1827bf13021a.jpg  

dhal22, GAN, sycamorebob and 7 others like this.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (04-18-2018)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2018, 10:26 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Nice work. Now she's got 2 microwaves!

Someone once told me if you know how to work with your hands it is worth gold. I believe it!

Under my licence I applied for all the "free" licences like doors and window, alarm systems and a bunch of other. However I can't do tile, electrical(except related to plumbing), carpentry and stuff like that for others.

Before going for my masters I had to make money so I assembled ikea furniture, I've assembled thousands of units in hundreds of homes. If you think people are cheap in plumbing you should see how cheap they are for furniture assembly.

Not to brag but I can do anything and do a very good job. I did my own bathroom 24" tiles, I made my own floating vanity with hidden drawers, my own modern steels towel racks. My own modern kitchen table, floors, mudding and joints, deck, straighten the sagging roof, membrane around the foundation. I rewired the majority of my house into the panel, built my own shed, the list goes on

I also do my own truck repairs, I can rebuild transmission, tranfer cases, diff and electric wiring. I had at one point many 4runners modified trail truck.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #3

View Debo22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Nice work. Now she's got 2 microwaves!

Someone once told me if you know how to work with your hands it is worth gold. I believe it!

Under my licence I applied for all the "free" licences like doors and window, alarm systems and a bunch of other. However I can't do tile, electrical(except related to plumbing), carpentry and stuff like that for others.

Before going for my masters I had to make money so I assembled ikea furniture, I've assembled thousands of units in hundreds of homes. If you think people are cheap in plumbing you should see how cheap they are for furniture assembly.

Not to brag but I can do anything and do a very good job. I did my own bathroom 24" tiles, I made my own floating vanity with hidden drawers, my own modern steels towel racks. My own modern kitchen table, floors, mudding and joints, deck, straighten the sagging roof, membrane around the foundation. I rewired the majority of my house into the panel, built my own shed, the list goes on

I also do my own truck repairs, I can rebuild transmission, tranfer cases, diff and electric wiring. I had at one point many 4runners modified trail truck.
Under the louvers is the exhaust duct, no window. She was having a tough time with the countertop microwave because with arthritis she couldn’t push the door open button comfortably.

I do all my house projects myself also including van repair. The only things I paid someone to do on my house in the 15 years I owned it was seamless rain gutters because I don’t have the machine and a bathroom tile job. I watched the guy do tile and did the next bathroom myself.

It’s funny how on this forum we condemn people for DIY but we all do it.
Debo22 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Debo22 For This Useful Post:
CaptainBob (04-18-2018), Tommy plumber (04-18-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #4

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debo22 View Post

We condemn people DIY people doing licensed trade work, that's all. Probably no permit or code book to install a microwave.
CaptainBob, GAN, chonkie and 3 others like this.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

I condemn illegal hacks that are paid for their butchery. I condemn silently DIY when they do it wrong. However many times when homeowners do their own work and looks good I tell them they did a great job. Most times are the old ladies who do their own repairs and it impresses me when a lot of men nowadays know nothing about how a hammer works.
CaptainBob, GAN, chonkie and 1 others like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:12 AM   #6
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Debo has a point.

I do think there are differences. Foremost if it requires a license to do the work. Then at what level? For instance the State of Illinois does not require a license to work on or install any electrical system. Some communities around me however do.

I have been in the plumbing trade 37 years. I have relatives who are carpenter, electricians, cabinet makers. Being in the trades I can do about all of it know. Not as good or as fast as someone doing it everyday. Haven't hired out to do any in years and mostly when I di it was for myself or a relative.

Some food for thought though.
chonkie and Tango like this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #7

View Wolfe Seacoast's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
“if they sell it at Home Depot it can’t be that hard”.

That’s a great line. I’ve made a lot of money from “weekend repair guys” getting in over their heads,
Great job on the cabinet, I believe that plumbers can do anything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chonkie and Debo22 like this.
Wolfe Seacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

We have some very nice pita customers who are immigrants. I shouldn’t say pita, but, well, yeah. Very chatty.

A couple of weeks ago we went there to do a list of small things. When we got there they had a large box on there front porch. Did our list, ready to leave they say, “can you take the bed in a box to the basement for us?” Well they’re up there in age and good customers. So we take it downstairs. “Will you put it together for us? We have family visiting next week.”

So we booked it for that Friday. Turned out to be pretty easy. Charged our normal plumbing rate.

We do all kinds of crazy odd stuff.... for elderly usually.
dhal22, chonkie, Debo22 and 2 others like this.
OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Looks great Debo!....nice and neat.
Debo22 likes this.
Debo22 (04-18-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #10

View PLUMB TIME's Photo Album My Photos

After 30+ years in, I can do it all.
Do I want to,no.
I make enough money plumbing to pay for things to be done now. We golf,fish,hunt etc.
I've earned it.
Nothing against those that do, I just pick and choose now.
dhal22, Gargalaxy, chonkie and 2 others like this.
PLUMB TIME is offline   Reply With Quote