Coworker trouble - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree61Likes

Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 AM   #1

View Xjplumber's Photo Album My Photos
Default Coworker trouble

Hello everyone, seeking some advice. Been working with a guy for three weeks. We are both new to the company. He has known our supervisor for 15 years. He has also been plumbing much longer than I. I’m an apprentice btw.

In the past few weeks I’ve had one job foreman complain to me about my coworker leaving on the phone for excessive amounts of time. He calls his GF in the middle of the day multiple times. I’m new, but this doesn’t jive with my work ethic from my previous career. He smokes in the company vehicle(against policy) does a lot more bull****ting than anyone I e ever seen.

He says he’s trying to tie up personal work still and that he’s scattered. He’s always late btw. Our supervisor, who is a hell of a guy for taking a green horn like myself on, asked me the other day about what I thought about my coworker. I didn’t say all that I could. Only said that I like to work and keep working and get the job done and done right.

Should I let nature take its course? I’m learning from this guy......when he actually works. I don’t want to be a snitch either. Supervisor told me that there are a ton of jobs for us and the quicker when finish one the better.

Any help would be appreciated.
Larry Rich likes this.
Xjplumber is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

tough call.its not your job to be baby sitter for that guy , as a supervisor or foreman its their job to weed out the jerkoffs and get rid of them, let them do their job and you keep working with a good work ethic, now if the other guy throws you under the bus or blames you for being slow and a boss talks to you about it then all bets are off and you can fill them in on what he is doing and you can prove it by telling the boss to ask for the phone records that will show when and how long he is on the phone and other employees will know how long he BS all day and no work, but till then he probably sucks up to his buddy he knows for 15 years, so dont put yourself in a bad position...im sure the bosses notice how you work and are evaluating all new hires..
Tommy plumber (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

View Xjplumber's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. That’s been my plan. Keep my head down and work hard.
Mikeob1998 likes this.
Xjplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #4

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

It's the foremans job to talk to the boss not yours. If the foreman deems that you guys need the extra hands despite the guys lack of work ethics then so be it. Like stated before don't tell on him unless he tries to throw you under the bus in which case all bets are off. The world is not fair and there is a real chance that that lazy guy will some day get ahead of you because he knows the right guys. Just accept it and move on.

We have a guy who has been laid off in the winter the last two winters and last time he was laid off he had a new house where he had not hooked up the tub waste/overflow and it made a mess and I had to open up sheetrock to fix it. This guy has multiple times set shower valves too far out and has two times run hot water to a toilet and new home owner complained about it. He has been caught writing a full 8 hour day on the timecard even though the boss saw him drive home at 6.5 hours. The boss hired him back this year again saying he might just have to go babysit him and go through his jobs at the end and see if it could be approved. Well he never went and now that guy is setting shower valves too far in the wall and I had to open up sheetrock at a new house to fix that issue on a valve plus open sheetrock in a ceiling to hook up a shower drain and P-trap that he had not installed. This guy also lost almost 1 years worth of apprentice hours because he was too dumb to renew his license one year. He is still here.

We have an apprentice that we all know and agree on would be better off doing something else than plumbing even the boss himself has said so. The boss asked me about my opinion on this apprentice and I gave him my honest opinion of him and told the boss he would be better off firing this apprentice but he is still here. I can sum up his worth in 1 picture. Keep in mind that this apprentice technically within a couple of months has his 4 years in and can test for J-man)

That apprentice is still here despite many, many stories I could tell of him.

In the end accept that the world is not fair and do what you can to better your own situation and forget about others.

It sounds more like you will one day end up being your own business owner. So just do what you can to learn as much as you can and when you become more talented either get a new job in a company that acknowledges your talent or go be your own boss.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
chonkie, MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Tango (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

If he's still there and has a supervisor friend there's nothing you can do about it. I've seen it all my career the bad apples and brown noses will keep being scum and you will still get laid off first. Do your thing the proper way.

One condo highrise job 22 guys, started at 7:30. I've had a coworker who would come in at 9:30 am to work most days and no show every 4th day. The whole crew was pissed about it. The boss(A sucker in his 20's) would greet him like an old time friend and kept him on the payroll till he was the 2nd last guy on the job.

The boss even laid off a guy to hire a whinner who cried all the time to put him as a foreman.

On one industrial job we had a drunkard who was so dumb he spent 2 weeks doing plastic piping and when his uncle foreman went to inspect it he said he hadn't followed the plans and did it with his instincts. 2 weeks worth of piping were cut, scrapped and redone.

They sent him to work on my steel welded pipe run and when he was done a portion I had to cut it all out and redo it with my welder because it didn't align. The foreman blamed the bad job and slow work on me to cover the a$$hole. I was laid off first from the entire job!
chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Afraid of being a snitch.....adn keeping my mouth shut no matter what goes down... thats great.....

I had that happen to me with a guy that was with us for 4 years and a new apprentice.....

the 4 year guy who had his own take home truck, he tells the new guy that me and him are best buddies and we do drugs all the time down at the lake and all he has to do is say the word to me and he is gone......

turns out the 4 year guy is doing drugs and the apprentice does not want to be a "snitch"... Well one day I needed their help and he tears across town high as a kite to get to me fast with this apprentice holding onto his seat for dear life all the way.... .

I suppose its my fault for not drug testing everyone every month or two....

anyway, I had to let the apprentice go because of slow work that summer and he finally confesses to me what had been going on.....I believe he would have liked to kill the 4 year guy. and this boy really could have pounded the little shrimp into the ground......

I asked him why he did not want to tell me earlier and I mentioned that he took his life in his hands driveing across town with this guy high as a kite and he said that he did not want to be a snitch....

I said I guess its better to die in my plumbing truck and leave a wife and child behind than to tell me what had been going down all summer long...

anyway he was let go and the next morning the 4 year loser was let go too...

I really dont know if their is a moral to this story

I dont have special supernormal powers that can forsee this and I would have respected the apprentice more if he just would have warned me... as someone or a lot of people could have died in a accident.....

I dont understand what this unwritten code is all about especially when some idiot could get us all sued for everything we got...

just saying...

chonkie and MACPLUMB777 like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #7

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

the toes you step on today could be connected to the a$$ your gona need to kiss tomorrow..
jeffreyplumber and Tango like this.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post

I dont have special supernormal powers that can forsee this and I would have respected the apprentice more if he just would have warned me... as someone or a lot of people could have died in a accident.....

I dont understand what this unwritten code is all about especially when some idiot could get us all sued for everything we got...

just saying...
Easy answer.
1: If it is a serious matter of safety then it should be brought up to the boss or foreman or whoever the appropriate channel is.

2: You as the boss is not the person we have to spend a great deal of our time with every day. Our fellow plumber is the one that can make our lives at work a living hell when we tell on him and you the boss do absolutely nothing other than talk to him and let him know it's not ok and then go right back to normal because you don't care about anything else than having enough hands on deck to make a buck.

I currently have an employer that is actually a pretty good employer yet I have been thinking about looking for a new job because I have lost most of my respect for him as a business owner (not as a person). There are many aspects to it but in regards to telling on a fellow plumber. Another plumber at our shop told the boss that our apprentice smokes weed in customers driveways. The apprentice eventually admitted to it and we already knew that he has an alcohol problem (he has his own company van to drive in). He gets sent home for the day but next day he is back like nothing ever happened. This is with many other things against him like when I told the boss that he had been with me on a job and had stood on the opposite side of an A ladder on the thin rungs not meant to be stood on and I told him to turn the ladder around and use it the safe way and what was his response? "I don't way much it's ok" and then went right back to drilling holes overhead holding a superhawg with both hands standing on the wrong side of the ladder. I asked him if he knew that he was an apprentice and then told him that I am the J-man and it's my jobsite so he is supposed to listen to me and turn the darn ladder. I told the boss this and that I refused to work with him again. 2 weeks went by not working with him and the boss thinks everything is fine and starts sending him with me again.

Master Mark: I don't know if you're some sort of special kind of boss but all bosses I have had or heard about it all is the same.

So very easy answer is that the don't snitch mentality boils down to if you tell the boss nothing will happen anyway but working with the person will be bad. So why bother

chonkie and Tango like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Master Mark (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 10:46 PM   #9
philosopher and statesmen

View Master Mark's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
Easy answer.

Master Mark: I don't know if you're some sort of special kind of boss but all bosses I have had or heard about it all is the same.

So very easy answer is that the don't snitch mentality boils down to if you tell the boss nothing will happen anyway but working with the person will be bad. So why bother

I think that their is some moral responsibility that goes beyond just being at a job drilling holes all day long and putting up with idiots.........
I guess its all fun and games until the guy you know is a drunk kills someone on the way to a job....

Well, I am not a boss anymore cause I got tired of dealing with these kind of problems..
We have sold off 4 trucks and got rid of all our problems...... So now its only me and my brother in law I have to deal with.....

and the funny thing is our stress level has dropped to close to zero, we come in to work at 830 and go home usually at 4 and we make the same money without having to baby sit or train anyone... ....

life is good.....

jeffreyplumber, chonkie and Tango like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQMO1eyMRuM
Master Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Master Mark For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Mark View Post
I think that their is some moral responsibility that goes beyond just being at a job drilling holes all day long and putting up with idiots.........
I guess its all fun and games until the guy you know is a drunk kills someone on the way to a job....

Moral responsibility, yes certainly and that is why I said that when there is serious safety at stake then it is a clear matter of telling both the person and the boss. In our case the boss knows that the apprentice has an alcohol problem and a drug problem and the first 2 weeks he was here he went to jail 2 times because the ex girlfriend got a restraining order on him for hitting her and the second time was for so called butt calling her. The boss himself has said he knows the apprentice will never be able to pass the J-man test because he is dumb but he needs the extra hands.

"we make the same money without having to baby sit or train" with moral responsibility in mind I hope you at least trained 1 good plumber to pay forward what someone else did for you.

I know some people here advocate 10 years plumbing before starting a plumbing business. I am hoping to start my own business more or less as soon as I can because I can not stand the way most bosses don't give a s+b# as long as the jobs get done. Because I can't stand seeing the bar being so low that any one who is alive is good enough because help is needed. I aim to be a one man shop with maybe a couple apprentices over the years till I can say that I did my part in training the next generation mostly because no one I did not train myself would meet my standards, there is only 1 person at my shop that I would hire and not have fired again the other 5 plus the boss himself I would either never have hired or would definitely have fired again.

chonkie and Tango like this.