Building a shed - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Community > Off Topic (Non Trade)

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By skoronesa
  • 3 Post By skoronesa
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 1 Post By ShtRnsdownhill
  • 1 Post By Tango
  • 2 Post By skoronesa

Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 PM   #1

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos
Default Building a shed

For a while now I have needed another shed. I started a couple years ago and have had this frame stood up for a while. Made from 10' hardwood 3"x3-1/2" beams from the pallets our sheet metal comes on.

Well today was a huge leap in this venture. A couple weeks ago my boss told me about these corrugated sheet metal panels in a barn. Most were 20'ers. Apparently they are from when we built our shop a long while back. I loaded up the camo van and brought them home. I will post some better pics tomorrow but I got two of the walls covered.

My total cost on this project is less than 20$ which accounts for two boxes of good quality deck screws which wouldn't snap when being driven into these extremely hard, heartwood beams. Another local plumber recently moved and I showed up when he was throwing stuff out. He gave me a couple pounds of 1-1/2" ring nails which I used to attach the panels. I took an awl and punched a starter hole then nailed the panels onto the studs. I put the studs in at 2' centers which of course don't line up with the panels, I think I should have done 16" or 32" centers. Either way it seems fine. Where the panels overlap and aren't supported I will just use sheet metal screws through both layers.

Not sure yet what to do for a floor. I want to do concrete but that's expensive.

It only looks like a few sheets on top, but it's like 25. I have so much of this stuff now. I could replace the roof on my house lolz.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a shed-img_20191013_133929_158.jpg  

chonkie, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2019, 10:31 PM   #2

I also rebuilt my wheelbarrow. One of the handles had snapped so I replaced both with 1-1/4" pipe. I used some 1" sleeved in to make easier to grip handles. And since it used to be red I wanted to paint it black. Bronze #2 approves.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a shed-img_20191013_085836_045-1.jpg  

chonkie, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

You used an inverted steel channel for your truck's bumper?

As for concrete, it's 4.50$ a bag. What size is the shed? My mother had bought a rickety old house out of town to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning 2 horses and the mini garage the floor was wood laid directly on the ground. What kind of wood I don't know but if you could find wood that was used for telephone or railroad they would be treated to last a long time.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #4

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

is that your personal van skoso?
skoronesa likes this.
Old 10-14-2019, 06:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
You used an inverted steel channel for your truck's bumper?

As for concrete, it's 4.50$ a bag. What size is the shed? My mother had bought a rickety old house out of town to fulfill a lifelong dream of owning 2 horses and the mini garage the floor was wood laid directly on the ground. What kind of wood I don't know but if you could find wood that was used for telephone or railroad they would be treated to last a long time.

I used an 8x4 I beam a buddy gave me. There are two 6x3 rectangular tube pieces on each frame end to stub the I beam out enough. I have a winch installed behind the I beam. Next weekend I should be getting an 8x8 H beam from the junkyard to make a rear bumper.

The shed is roughly 9'-6" square on the inside. I might just put down some sheets of plywood or whatever I can find. I really don't want to spend much on it. Heck, 10$ was too much!!! lolz. I am just going to use it to hang bikes and store lawn mowers and the snow blower, and the weed whacker, etc.

I could probably get some old railroad ties from the depot in town. Those would make quite the base. I will probably have to pour at least some concrete on the outside edge on the uphill side to stop rain.

Old 10-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Previous owners had put concrete patio square of 24"x24" out back so I built my small shed with 2x6" pressure treated joists and they rests on deck blocks which leaves about 6" gap.
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Previous owners had put concrete patio square of 24"x24" out back so I built my small shed with 2x6" pressure treated joists and they rests on deck blocks which leaves about 6" gap.

Yeah, I actually forgot that I have a pile of 20"x20"x1" slates we were given when we got our house. I will use those for flooring. I might put some pea stone down first but I doubt it. I used them in a smaller shed I made too and they have worked great.

I might even dig a trench around the whole thing and bury the slates half way down to prevent the woodchucks and stuff.

Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.