Tradesman Electrocuted - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Safety

Like Tree46Likes

Old 05-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #1
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tradesman Electrocuted

Just a reminder to be careful out there.

A worker from an H.V.A.C. contractor I know was working at a residence. They were working on a condensing unit. They plugged into a receptacle on a screened in porch (three plug) in an older home. Ran the cord outside on wet ground and connected their equipment.

When the worker started to use it he was electrocuted. I am working with an attorney as a professional consultant to determine fault for a wrongful death lawsuit.

The loss of life of course is the worst. The guy had a family. I have to determine if the location of the receptacle was in an area that "required" a G.F.C.I. protected receptacle or not. If not fault would lie with the worker for using an unprotected circuit outside where G.F.C.I. protection is required.

Depending on the age of the dwelling would a G.F.C.I receptacle been required when the dwelling was constructed at that location. If so the owner may be held responsible. Now add an adopted ordinance for "property maintenance" (after the original construction date) may kick in even if the original construction would not require G.F.C.I. protection and mandate one should have been installed.

Loss of life, massive monetary amounts may be incurred by home owner and remodel contractor. Not to mention a family who lost a loved one & Dad.

All this could have been avoided if the worker had been instructed by his company to "TEST" any receptacle he intended to use with a $5.00 circuit tester to see if it was wired correctly and had a functional G.F.C.I. before he used it.

Guys, please buy your employees and yourself a tester capable of testing for G.F.C.I. circuits and mandate they use it every time prior to plugging into a circuit and operating equipment. It takes less then 5 seconds. Also remember for an older "two wire" circuit a G.F.C.I. receptacle is allowed by code to be installed. It "will not trip" with a G.F.C.I. tester but it will still trip should a ground fault occur. You just have to be able to recognize the G.F.C.I. receptacle or breaker and confirm it is on the circuit you intend to use. You can then trip it with the integral trip button to verify it will trip.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.

Last edited by GAN; 05-07-2020 at 10:18 AM..
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 11:10 AM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
Just a reminder to be careful out there.

A worker from an H.V.A.C. contractor I know was working at a residence. They were working on a condensing unit. They plugged into a receptacle on a screened in porch (three plug) in an older home. Ran the cord outside on wet ground and connected their equipment.

When the worker started to use it he was electrocuted. I am working with an attorney as a professional consultant to determine fault for a wrongful death lawsuit.

The loss of life of course is the worst. The guy had a family. I have to determine if the location of the receptacle was in an area that "required" a G.F.C.I. protected receptacle or not. If not fault would lie with the worker for using an unprotected circuit outside where G.F.C.I. protection is required.

Depending on the age of the dwelling would a G.F.C.I receptacle been required when the dwelling was constructed at that location. If so the owner may be held responsible. Now add an adopted ordinance for "property maintenance" (after the original construction date) may kick in even if the original construction would not require G.F.C.I. protection and mandate one should have been installed.

Loss of life, massive monetary amounts may be incurred by home owner and remodel contractor. Not to mention a family who lost a loved one & Dad.

All this could have been avoided if the worker had been instructed by his company to "TEST" any receptacle he intended to use with a $5.00 circuit tester to see if it was wired correctly and had a functional G.F.C.I. before he used it.

Guys, please buy your employees and yourself a tester capable of testing for G.F.C.I. circuits and mandate they use it every time prior to plugging into a circuit and operating equipment. It takes less then 5 seconds. Also remember for an older "two wire" circuit a G.F.C.I. receptacle is allowed by code to be installed. It "will not trip" with a G.F.C.I. tester but it will still trip should a ground fault occur. You just have to be able to recognize the G.F.C.I. receptacle or breaker and confirm it is on the circuit you intend to use. You can then trip it with the integral trip button to verify it will trip.

I say its the responsibility of a worker to determine what is safe or not safe for powering equipment, and should carry or have a gfci extension cord if they are not sure...
to blame a homeowner would not be proper unless the homeowner stated that the outlet was safe and up to code..
the blood sucking lawyers will go after everyone..
while tragic for the worker you have to stop blaming everyone else for ones own responsibility ..
I carry an voltage tester because I dont trust anyone that says the powers off when working on any electric to hook up a boiler, dishwasher or garbage disposal ...
Old 05-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #3

View dhal22's Photo Album My Photos

All of my plumbers are required to carry in service van and use a GFCI pigtail.
dhal22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dhal22 For This Useful Post:
justme (05-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2020, 05:30 PM   #4

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Presumably he died when the water on the cord conducted from the neutral side to him? The neutral only being energized when he pulled the trigger.

GAN likes this.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View MACPLUMB777's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhal22 View Post
All of my plumbers are required to carry in service van and use a GFCI pigtail.
That is the setup I had on all my plumbing trucks in L.A.
[email protected]
MACPLUMB777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:39 PM   #6

View SchmitzPlumbing's Photo Album My Photos

im thinking about frying myself and suing the homeowner. then i can retire early. any pros or cons to this?
dhal22, skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
SchmitzPlumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmitzPlumbing View Post
im thinking about frying myself and suing the homeowner. then i can retire early. any pros or cons to this?

The biggest con is your hand or whichever part of your body you use might not be good for a while so make sure to use your left hand if you're a righty so you can steal sign the court papers and jerkoff, don't wanna be stuck in a hospital bed with a stiffy and nothin to do about it.

It's also a good idea to use some real thin gauge wire to limit the voltage to about 48v or less when under load, this way you probably won't die.

I used to run this scam among others but had to skip town. I'm all on the up and up now!! Worked every time though

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, than Answers that can't be questioned"
Old 05-08-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
GAN
Super Moderator

View GAN's Photo Album My Photos

Yep we know how the blood sucking attorneys make their cash.

When I was still out if any equipment didn't have built in protection either a GFCI pigtail or direct plug was used when outside. we may not have used one on a concrete floor, which of course your a lot safer on unless wet.

The angle of the home owner right or wrong would be based on their responsibility to maintain there dwelling in compliance of adopted ordinances, whether they knew it or not. You know ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The whole thing to me is sad but nuts. Home owners are usually dumb unless they are in the trades. Off hand to me the workers as a professional failed to verify his own safety via being lazy, improper training, etc.
ShtRnsdownhill likes this.
the "great music" of the Highland bagpipe. I swear upon the holy iron of my dirk that I will not forget.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:46 AM   #9

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

When I was still out if any equipment didn't have built in protection either a GFCI pigtail or direct plug was used when outside. we may not have used one on a concrete floor, which of course your a lot safer on unless wet.

The angle of the home owner right or wrong would be based on their responsibility to maintain there dwelling in compliance of adopted ordinances, whether they knew it or not. You know ignorance of the law is no excuse.

The whole thing to me is sad but nuts. Home owners are usually dumb unless they are in the trades. Off hand to me the workers as a professional failed to verify his own safety via being lazy, improper training, etc.
thats like blaming the car for a drunken driver that crashes....
skoronesa likes this.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:

Gfci or not if that outlet was properly wired than the homeowner doesn't deserve to be sued. I don't know this poor fella that died and if he was smart or not, but I do know that using a wet electrical cord is dumb and he seems to have accidentally killed himself.

If someone is in the trades and is using power tools and extension cords than they should know basic electrical safety.

It's an accident that occurred on the job than his employers insurance should make the pay out.

ShtRnsdownhill and Tango like this.