Safety glasses and primer. - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Safety

Like Tree11Likes

Old 06-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #1

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos
Default Safety glasses and primer.

So before anyone say anything let me just admit to my stupidity.

I was under a kitchen cabinet and I was redoing the drain pipes and I was dumb enough to yet again not think about safety glasses.

The clear pvc primer dauber decided to act like it was spring loaded and slingshot clear primer right in my eyes. I ran to the bathroom and rinsed out my eyes. I must admit basically going blind for a minute before the water rinsed it out was scary.

My one eye is totally fine and the other is also fine except for a little irritation (2 hours after the incident)

I rarely remember to use safety glasses on regular stuff like gluing pipes.

I called a poison phone line to ask what they thought and they said that since it was feeling fine it was not needed to go see a doctor.

This is the first time with primer but on my very first day plumbing I got a drop of pvc glue in my eyes and I think the glue hurt worse.

I have never liked using safety glasses but have done so when it was clear that it was needed but often forget it in everyday work. It seems glasses always either fog up or get scratched up so badly I can't see what I'm doing.

So to get to the point.

1: does anyone have recommendations on extra good scratch/fog resistant safety glasses (clear not tinted)?

2: STAY SAFE out there in the dangerous world of plumbing and use PPE more than you think is needed.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
MASTRPLUMB likes this.
The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #2

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

I got purple primer in my eye years ago and it stung. We were installing 6" PVC; foreman was saying how me and the other apprentice were too slow, so we sped up and BAM! slingshot off the brush {no daubers then, brushes in the glue cans} and into tommy plumber's eye. Yikes.

I like safety goggles and when grinding I use a full face shield.
skoronesa, Tango and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Good thing it only irritated your eyes for a little while. I got some brake cleaner a few months ago, ouch, ouch ouch!

From experience any safety glass that you'll buy scratch easily. I used to buy them by the case, still have 2 full boxes full or something.

Employers were supposed to supply them and didn't, most times they told us to F off or they'd buy the square ones that rubbed to your raw flesh. Just like ear plugs I decided to buy my own and be comfortable instead of risking injury and swearing all day because of cheap glasses you had to wear all day.

I remember my 1st year as an apprentice, I had concrete to chip and the plumber handed me a used pair that was forgotten in the bottom of the tool box. I couldn't see through! I wish I could kick his ass but he's dead now.

Attached Thumbnails
Safety glasses and primer.-img_20190621_191936445.jpg  

skoronesa and MASTRPLUMB like this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
The Dane (06-21-2019), Tommy plumber (06-22-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
Moderator Wizard

I used a face shield for drilling drop in anchors otherwise even when I took a shower at the end of the day I'd wake up with particles in the eyes and I couldn't drive with the bright light from the sun and my eyes hurt and blurred the next day. Awful

Damn construction....
Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #5

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

well being that everything from close up to about 15 to 20 inches is semi blurry for me, I find I wear 1.5x cheater glasses most of the time when working, so they stop alot of crap from getting into my eyes, on hot days they do fog up a little, so I just wipe them off and just let them ride down on my nose and that seems to prevent fogging..
I have gotten primer in my eyes before along with lots of other stuff like carb cleaner and lubricants..just keep flushing till they feel better...
twice I got a rusty bit in my eye and had to have them cut out, no permanent damage but it hurt like all freaking hell..1st time was my bad and wasnt wearing goggles, 2nd time I was all goggled up but while driving home I ran my hand through my hair and a dam chip flew into my eye..just the way it goes..
Old 06-21-2019, 09:02 PM   #6

View The Dane's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Good thing it only irritated your eyes for a little while. I got some brake cleaner a few months ago, ouch, ouch ouch!

From experience any safety glass that you'll buy scratch easily. I used to buy them by the case, still have 2 full boxes full or something.

Employers were supposed to supply them and didn't, most times they told us to F off or they'd buy the square ones that rubbed to your raw flesh. Just like ear plugs I decided to buy my own and be comfortable instead of risking injury and swearing all day because of cheap glasses you had to wear all day.

I remember my 1st year as an apprentice, I had concrete to chip and the plumber handed me a used pair that was forgotten in the bottom of the tool box. I couldn't see through! I wish I could kick his ass but he's dead now.

I have rarely seen an employer who actually cared enough to spend money on propper PPE.

I have been wondering many times about just buying a big case of cheap glasses and treating them almost like disposable ones. I just wish I could find a good pair that would last. I think I would rather try a pair of $30 fog/scratch resistant glasses first and see how I like it instead of throwing cheap ones away all the time.

The Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Dane For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (06-30-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:05 PM   #7

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Our employer is totally fine with us using all the ppe we want. Our tool cribs has several shelves with everything you might want from gloves to earplugs to tyvek suits, glasses, etc. I keep tons of ear plugs and new safety glasses on the van.

I was a real idiot one day, not at work. I shoot old golf balls with my .177 pellet rifle for practice. 80ft away, hanging on some strings, great practice for squirrel headshots. I only shoot them with the .177 and only old wound golf balls because otherwise the pellets bounce. I know they bounce because I have almost broken the brand new windows on my house before

Well one day I am shooting at a woodchuck with my .22 pellet gun and it runs off. I had already loaded another shot and decide to practice by walking briskly and then quickly raising the barrel and shooting the hanging golf ball. I was 30 feet away. I raised it up very quickly and shot the ball dead center at which point I SEE the pellet flying straight back at my eye. Hit me in the ocular socket bone maybe a 1/4" from the edge below my eyeball. I couldn't see from that eye for 2hrs, pitch black. I assumed I went blind in it even though in the mirror it looked fine. I didn't even get a black eye, just a bright red spot.

WEAR SAFETY GLASSES

Cutting your hand with a saw or grinder because you couldn't see from that old pair of safety glasses is way better than piece of metal in your eye because you didn't want to wear your scratched safety glasses. That said you should get new ones, they are cheap, just charge the customer.

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
Moderator Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dane View Post
I have rarely seen an employer who actually cared enough to spend money on propper PPE.

I have been wondering many times about just buying a big case of cheap glasses and treating them almost like disposable ones. I just wish I could find a good pair that would last. I think I would rather try a pair of $30 fog/scratch resistant glasses first and see how I like it instead of throwing cheap ones away all the time.

Sure you can buy a 30$ pair but you are going to forget it somewhere, leave it in a side pocket of your tool pouch getting scratched so on. Me what I do I have like 6 pairs that are left everywhere so when I'm looking for a pair I don't search half an hour and get pissed off because I can't find them. I got a good deal as I would put it under the biggest company'n name in town (I worked for them a year previously) and paid cash at the counter so I got their discount. Thank you.

Just like gloves they wear out, toss them out and put on a new pair.

I got fed up at bosses getting us harnesses that were worn out, freaking dirty, the buckles rusted shut, too small or took forever to put on. Some of them literally gave me a rope or a sling to tie off.....So I got one that stretches and quick clips.

Here's what they look like, comfortable to wear all day. No need to put the neck rope if you don't want too.

https://www.magidglove.com/Sperian-V...e-Eyewear.aspx
Old 06-21-2019, 11:58 PM   #9

View MASTRPLUMB's Photo Album My Photos
Exclamation

A couple of Months ago I was squirting some Bengay of my left knee when
it squirted into my left eye, even though I rinsed it out I still could use it
for 24 Hrs. then I went to see a Doctor who Immediately referred me
to a Eye Clinic, the Doctor said that I had a Chemical burn on the inside of
my lower left eyelid he give me some antibiotic eye drops, and some
other eye drops a couple of days all good
skoronesa likes this.
MASTRPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MASTRPLUMB For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 08:46 AM   #10

View skoronesa's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASTRPLUMB View Post
A couple of Months ago I was squirting some Bengay of my left knee when
it squirted into my left eye, even though I rinsed it out I still could use it
for 24 Hrs. then I went to see a Doctor who Immediately referred me
to a Eye Clinic, the Doctor said that I had a Chemical burn on the inside of
my lower left eyelid he give me some antibiotic eye drops, and some
other eye drops a couple of days all good

You were squirting bengay on your knee and it hit your eye? You don't need to get married if you can get your head that close to your knee

"I'd rather have Questions that can't be answered, then Answers that can't be questioned"
skoronesa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skoronesa For This Useful Post:
MASTRPLUMB (06-30-2019)