Hand sanitation is especially important for plumbers - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Safety

Like Tree37Likes

Old 02-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #1

View Plumbus's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hand sanitation is especially important for plumbers

"In 1966, Lupe Hernandez, a student nurse from Bakersfield, California, patented the idea of an alcohol-based gel to clean hands in the absence of handwashing facilities."
I didn't know that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...virus-covid-19
skoronesa and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

a 10% bleach solution kills almost anything and is widely available....and is cheap...
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
GAN (03-30-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

I have a big bottle of hand sanitizer in the van and use it after each job even though I wear rubber gloves.

I have some in my other truck and a small bottle I carry around on me for shopping carts. I used to catch a cold every year but since I've been doing that I only got a mild case in 4-5 years.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

View Logtec's Photo Album My Photos

I mostly wear gloves, and wash up after each job, once again before I eat. When I get home I hop in the shower right away.

I also clean my hand tools pretty often. I spray and wipe them down with WD40. I use a smell wire brush on the teeth on my pliers(I brush my pliers teeth....), then a light spray of Lysol on the handles.
Sometime I’ll run the torch over tools that got into something rotten, to really kill off anything.

Clean tools are happy tools.
Logtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:30 PM   #5
Super Moderator

View OpenSights's Photo Album My Photos

I wear gloves most of the time, I clean and trim my nails with my teeth. I take a bath every few months. Been about 4 years since I’ve been sick other than the sniffles. I’ve trained my body well!

Obviously I’m joking, but I’m not germaphobic, I’m a drain cleaner. Out here if you ask a HO or tenant if you can wash your hands they have no problem. If I cable a drain that’s easy with little mess, I’ll wait to wash my hands.

Today I had 4 main lines and a lav. The worst one was pulling a toilet and it was a fight at the cast to clay and the rest of the way. Last was a main standing in about 3” of sewage. I washed my hands when I got home.

Years ago I heard on the news or radio... I don’t remember, but it was a study about kids who eat their boogers and those that don’t. The ones that did eat their boogers had a stronger immune system than those who didn’t. The conclusion was the more you expose your body to foreign viruses, the easier it is for your immune system to handle them.

OpenSights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OpenSights For This Useful Post:
MACPLUMB777 (02-28-2020), Tango (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #6

View ShtRnsdownhill's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
I wear gloves most of the time, I clean and trim my nails with my teeth. I take a bath every few months. Been about 4 years since Iíve been sick other than the sniffles. Iíve trained my body well!

Obviously Iím joking, but Iím not germaphobic, Iím a drain cleaner. Out here if you ask a HO or tenant if you can wash your hands they have no problem. If I cable a drain thatís easy with little mess, Iíll wait to wash my hands.

Today I had 4 main lines and a lav. The worst one was pulling a toilet and it was a fight at the cast to clay and the rest of the way. Last was a main standing in about 3Ē of sewage. I washed my hands when I got home.

Years ago I heard on the news or radio... I donít remember, but it was a study about kids who eat their boogers and those that donít. The ones that did eat their boogers had a stronger immune system than those who didnít. The conclusion was the more you expose your body to foreign viruses, the easier it is for your immune system to handle them.

https://youtu.be/rMz7JBRbmNo

I have to agree there....
I didnt have a cat to wipe the buggers on.........

but it is true and the old saying" what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger"..
what the hell do you think a flu shot is? a diluted down flu virus so your immune system can kill the weak virus and build up an immunity...
so the same difference with any contaminants you come in contact with at work...
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShtRnsdownhill View Post
I have to agree there....
I didnt have a cat to wipe the buggers on.........

but it is true and the old saying" what doesnt kill you, makes you stronger"..
what the hell do you think a flu shot is? a diluted down flu virus so your immune system can kill the weak virus and build up an immunity...
so the same difference with any contaminants you come in contact with at work...
Lol!

Problem is, every time I get a flu shot, I get the flu. Two years ago my kid got the flu, expected but no one else got it.

The flu shot is basically the guess in the dark about what strain is going to pop up this winter.

Iíve had the full anthrax routine but without the first booster. That FíD me up, after the shots, and now I believe, but not as much as others I know.

The one shot I remember most was like taking a full swing of a sledgehammer to the tricep!

When deployed to East Timor we had to take malaria pills. Couldnít donate blood for X amount of years, not that I like needles anyway.

I have a hard time believing anything healthcare wise anymore. The only thing true is that The State of California is known to the State of California to cause cancer. Not the only reason I left.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:15 PM   #8
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

I know a guy that eels bare handed, i didnt know what the thought behind that is....
Saw an hvac guy using the fork lift as a ladder in are shop....the bosses kid
OpenSights and MACPLUMB777 like this.
canuck92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #9
Super Moderator

I’ve seen guys bare hand a cable before... nope!
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #10
3rd year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logtec View Post
I mostly wear gloves, and wash up after each job, once again before I eat. When I get home I hop in the shower right away.

I also clean my hand tools pretty often. I spray and wipe them down with WD40. I use a smell wire brush on the teeth on my pliers(I brush my pliers teeth....), then a light spray of Lysol on the handles.
Sometime Iíll run the torch over tools that got into something rotten, to really kill off anything.

Clean tools are happy tools.
I do almost exactly the same.

A 10% bleach solution is an excellent disinfectant, but it is very corrosive to most metals, and to skin. It is also deactivated in the presence of organic material, and a solution does not remain effective for long. A new one must be made every day.

A kid who eats his own boogers does not expose himself to anything that is not already there. There are studies which show that kids raised on farms with exposure to animals have stronger immune systems than those who live in cities in homes that are "too" clean, without animals. Even one dog in the house has been shown to make a difference.

OpenSights likes this.
MACPLUMB777 (02-29-2020)