Customer requests - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!

Go Back   Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum > Plumbing Tools, Products & Safety > Plumbing Safety

Like Tree28Likes

Old 03-04-2018, 05:41 AM   #1
4th year apprentice

View goeswiththeflow's Photo Album My Photos
Default Customer requests

A few months back we had a guy ask us to remove our boots when we entered the home. I wasn't crazy about the idea but it was my first week with the company and I didn't want to make any waves, since the guy I was riding with complied without hesitation. It wasn't even a rainy, muddy or snowy day. On thinking about it later I realized that OSHA would have really frowned on that, and I would have been pissed at all involved including myself if I had gotten injured because of agreeing to that customer's prissy demands. Forget about suggesting booties. I'd get laughed at if I suggested that we use them. What customer requests that potentially affected your safety have you guys gotten and what did you do? If the same thing happened today I would politely tell him that I couldn't because of safety issues, and point out politely that there is no weather on that day which would cause me to dirty his floors. I get that you like to keep your house clean and that is an effective way to do it, but you have to break some eggs to make an omlet and if you want the work don it is just something that you have to put up with.
GAN and MACPLUMB777 like this.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PlumbingZone.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 06:39 PM   #2
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

When I go to a customers house I switch on my CLEAN indoor running shoes. People really notice that. I buy black shoes so they always look clean. I may switch on and off 10+ times every call. Yeah its annoying but if I'm going to provide the best service in the city and be the highest priced then its part of the premium service. Every detail counts I bring in garbage bags, cleaning products, paper towels, mini broom and dust pan. People realize what they pay for(Most of the time).

If I need boots in an unfinished basement I either switch 2 times to get downstairs or I lay down some tarps. For a water heater or something that needs foot protection tarps and boots. I try to never use their rickety step ladder either, I take the time to get mine in the truck.

It depends what kind of work you do but if you want to be in "the real safety zone" You'd need, boots, safety glasses and hardhat.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tango For This Useful Post:
Tommy plumber (05-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

View 5onthefloor's Photo Album My Photos

I don't go in til they lock up the Dog. Don't care if it's a pit or schnauzer. The one time I ever got bit was by a poodle and my knee jerk reaction was to knee the dog to make it back down. Tore my pant leg and broke skin on my thigh. Boy did i let that homeowner have it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
5onthefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 04:30 PM   #4

View PLUMB TIME's Photo Album My Photos

I use these, love em.

tidy-trax
sycamorebob likes this.
PLUMB TIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
Moderator Wizard

View Tango's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB TIME View Post
I use these, love em.

tidy-trax

That is some long link, doesn't seem to work either!! It's an interesting concept. I wear size 13 shoes so that may be inconvenient. I will check it out more.
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:49 PM   #6

View chonkie's Photo Album My Photos

We work with one GC that uses one of these. It's pretty neat and a lot easier to use while you're carrying stuff.

https://www.hardwaretools.com/trimac...SABEgKG0vD_BwE
chonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #7
4th year apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5onthefloor View Post
I don't go in til they lock up the Dog. Don't care if it's a pit or schnauzer. The one time I ever got bit was by a poodle and my knee jerk reaction was to knee the dog to make it back down. Tore my pant leg and broke skin on my thigh. Boy did i let that homeowner have it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I love dogs, have 4 of my own, and I have a lot of experience with animal behavior. One thing that I learned years ago is that the average pet owner not only has no clue about animal behavior, including and especially the behavior of their own animals, but most of what they think they know is completely wrong. I used to try to educate them about dogs being territorial, not recognizing me as a friend, so being protective is normal and it is up to the owner to ensure my safety, yada, yada, till I was blue in the face. Now I carry pepper spray and I remove it from my belt the second I see the least bit of protective behavior. That says more than an hour's worth of lecturing, and you should see how fast some of them put their dogs away then. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "Oh he won't bite".
5onthefloor (03-08-2018), Tommy plumber (05-05-2018)
Old 05-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #8

View Tommy plumber's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeswiththeflow View Post
I love dogs, have 4 of my own, and I have a lot of experience with animal behavior. One thing that I learned years ago is that the average pet owner not only has no clue about animal behavior, including and especially the behavior of their own animals, but most of what they think they know is completely wrong. I used to try to educate them about dogs being territorial, not recognizing me as a friend, so being protective is normal and it is up to the owner to ensure my safety, yada, yada, till I was blue in the face. Now I carry pepper spray and I remove it from my belt the second I see the least bit of protective behavior. That says more than an hour's worth of lecturing, and you should see how fast some of them put their dogs away then. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "Oh he won't bite".

Hmmmm. Pepper spray. That is interesting. I may purchase a can of that.
MACPLUMB777 and Spacepirate like this.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
4th year apprentice

Honestly I keep it handy most of the time for the tenants that we run into in the tenements, rather than the animals. The four legged animals.
MACPLUMB777 and Tango like this.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
canuckPlumBbob

View canuck92's Photo Album My Photos

Im used to dogs, nothing worse then crawling 30 feet into a crawl space then realizing theres a racoon or possum lol i ran quicker than a jew in 1942
MACPLUMB777 likes this.
canuck92 is online now   Reply With Quote